Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern and Central Oregon Ghost town trip

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Some more nice photos, Rick. <DEEP BREATH....AHHHH> Can almost smell the pine trees. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Some more nice photos, Rick. <DEEP BREATH....AHHHH> Can almost smell the pine trees. Thanks.

Yeah, don't want to ever leave that country. The sage and ponderosa smells so awesome.
    Pacific Northwest Ghost Town Travel Blog: http://pnwphotoblog.com/ghost-towns/
    Ghost Town Map: http://ghosttownmap.com/

Next stop was Ritter, aka Ritter Hot Springs. As a Ghost Town, it's hard to classify. It's still an active resort destination.

The original Ritter Store.

The rebuilt Hotel. The rebuilt pool sits partially in between the two buildings. When I was here, the parking lot was full with about twenty cars.

And across the river, an old cabin.
    Last edited by hamellr; 09-10-2014 at 07:08 AM.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
    Yeah, don't want to ever leave that country. The sage and ponderosa smells so awesome.

What camera did ya use to shoot these?

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    What camera did ya use to shoot these?
    I shoot an Olympus Evolt E-30. Great lens system that is better then Nikon or Canon (IMO) , and they're really light which is a big plus when backpacking, or just running around doing the tourist thing.

So I kept heading East (and more South) along the Pendleton-John Day Highway until I hit the town of Long Creek. Small town, middle of nowhere. Small Cafe, Gas Station few dozen houses and a school. Filled up on gas, and headed west along the Long Creek Highway (402) until I got to Hamilton, Oregon. There isn't much here, just a few ramshackle houses and barns along the highway.

The last two are a bit out of town. The second to last was take at the top of the hill, the last at the bottom. You can see the homestead there in the trees. It's been pretty much abandoned, although there were three horses corralled in the front yard of the house. Also heavily covered with "No Trespassing" signs.
    Last edited by hamellr; 09-10-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
    Next stop was supposed to be Susanville. I followed the sign up the road, but must have taken the wrong turn. Ten miles down the dirt road I finally came across "No trespassing," and "private property," signs posted on both sides of the road. Anyone who has been there, was I supposed to take the first fork to the right, or the second fork to the right?

Anyways, next town was Galena.

I'm loving these pictures Rick. Some of your shots came out much better than mine.

About Susanville: there seems to be two entrances.

It was very easy to miss, and I had to turn around and circle-back twice to find the correct road: even with the help of GPS.

This green house here on the left side of the road is right near the "north" entrance. Across the road from this green house is a white one, which was displaying an American flag so it seems at least seasonally inhabited. Well, just past that white house, going towards Galena, is a right-turn on a narrow dirt road. That's the one you want. It's un-marked.

I stopped after driving just a little ways in front of a minor road wash-out. I got out of the car, appraised the situation, and found that if I put my left wheels high up on the embankment, my right wheels would clear the washout. My passenger started to sweat when I tilted the Jeep at a precarious angle, but we didn't tip over and made it across.

The rest of the road was easy-going. But we did have to stop right in front of the "fork" at Susanville where a side-road that goes down to the stream splits from the "high road." The main (high) road had a giant pool of water in it, and when I got out and threw a giant rock in there, the rock disappeared. I figured I'd not risk getting stuck and just hoofed-it at that point.

So, the main idea is, the road is passable, with a high-clearance vehicle. 4x4 not necessary, it's more of a clearance thing. The road from the south approaches Susavnville from the east. It's basically a loop. I did not try that road, so I can't comment on it.

Susanville is a beautiful drive, but not much to look at once you arrive. The badger mine, or stamp mill, or whatever that large building was, has collapsed. There are 2 abandoned homes to poke around. One mining adit right off the main road, which is sealed and spooky.

The stream is calf-deep in summer, and very pretty. Black sand with iron pyrite is tantalizing to the rock-hound.

On the GPS topo maps, there are more things to explore around the area. Mining sites, if I had hiked around to them, may have revealed other buildings and neat things to explore. I declined to investigate further, because with the tall grass there, I'd recommend hiking boots with gaiters to protect a person from snakebite. I wasn't going to risk it wearing just tennis shoes.
    Also, you must get wet to cross the creek. Prepare to ford it on foot if you want to explore the other side of the canyon.

Great pics, thanks much.........Speedy

Very nice photos, thanks for sharing. You guys have some great ghost towns to explore. It does looks like most of them are located in no trespassing areas though, but that's probably the reason they are still in decent shape. Do you use any filters on your lenses? I have a filter on mine, but I swear it degrades the photo quality. Thanks again for posting those.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

The photos are great.
    My wife's family lived in and around Long Creek.
    We stopped by the town a few years ago and chatted with the locals in the cafe, we ended up in a cool Victorian home getting information about her family and local happenings from our hosts- friends of her grandfather.

I have wanted to check out the hot spring scene at Ritter... that may be a quick summer trip.

Thread Information