Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help a novice date an old mine cabin

Default Please help a novice date an old mine cabin

These photos were taken near the MGL mine area in the Nightingale Mining District of Nevada. The area is very rugged and is walkin only. The area was mined during the WWI and pre WWII era for Tungsten, Lead and Silver. This "cabin" is on what I think is an old farm cart. I want to know how old this cart is. I have been told the cart is from the 1920's. Can anyone help me find out? I also am trying to find the old mining claims for the area to see ownership of the area. The area is currently BLM and the last claim I could find was from the late 70's which was Washington Power for some uranium claims, which expired. I think my only hope is go to the county recorder and look over the mine claim books. I have tried the local historical society and the BLM offices with no luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Have you read Nell Murbargers's books?

Have you read Ghosts of the Glory Trail or Sovereigns of the Sage? Nell Murbarger wrote extensively of Nevada's ghost towns and used a number of sources for her very accurate historical information. Those sources are listed throughout the text. She gained access to county libraries and read most of the old newspapers published during the boom years of Nevada's early history.

But more that just the information she provides, one gains an insight into her methods and love for the history of old boom camps and western mining. Keep notes on your travels and the photo's you take. Keep a journal. Someday, those photo's and the notes you save will be part of the history of the West.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Just a WAG, but that wagon has a steel frame, with wooden spokes and steel tires, instead of hard rubber. May well have been a truck chassis from 1910 to 1915 period, as seems to have pretty stiff spring package.

The cabin itself could date from the twenties, or thirties?
    Last edited by Dave A; 02-15-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Correction

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Very nice. Weren't box cars popular homes in the Post WWII years?
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Default Similar look

Here is a cabin up on the Darwin Plateau in California called the Buckhorn Cabin. Looks similar but maybe a bit larger.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Is that on a foundation of sorts?

Default Another view

Here is another view from a few years ago. I did look under the structure and it appeared to have been towed to the site on wheels, maybe similar to the wagon you have in your photo, except that the wheels could have been more modern. They were not present but the beams suggested that there were once axles.

NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    Here is a cabin up on the Darwin Plateau in California called the Buckhorn Cabin. Looks similar but maybe a bit larger.

NJ
    My son and I visited that cabin this summer. Closeup pic of the cabin title:

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Try here: http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/mdfiles/MDfiles.htm

I searched the mine name and Nightingale but came back empty. So I typed in the district and county and it came back with results. Scroll down and you'll you see the M.G.L. file. Click on the blue link to the left and sit back with a cup of your favorite beverage.

While it won't tell you the age of the cabin, it will tell you everything the Nevada Bureau of Mines & Geology knows about it. Seems it hasn't seen much activity since the WWII though. The NBMG site is http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Try here: http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/mdfiles/MDfiles.htm

I searched the mine name and Nightingale but came back empty. So I typed in the district and county and it came back with results. Scroll down and you'll you see the M.G.L. file. Click on the blue link to the left and sit back with a cup of your favorite beverage.

While it won't tell you the age of the cabin, it will tell you everything the Nevada Bureau of Mines & Geology knows about it. Seems it hasn't seen much activity since the WWII though. The NBMG site is http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/

Well done GB, very well done indeed (IMO).

Thread Information