Thread: A week in South Dakota

Default A week in South Dakota

I've got about a week, this time, to explore South Dakota. I'll be driving west from Wisconsin and staying a night or two in the Badlands and a couple days in Custer...any suggestions..especially for a photographer...

Thanks..
    Nick

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by greatriver View Post
    I've got about a week, this time, to explore South Dakota. I'll be driving west from Wisconsin and staying a night or two in the Badlands and a couple days in Custer...any suggestions..especially for a photographer...

Thanks..
    Nick

Born & raised in SD, I know the Badlands are unique. But nothing else in SD matches the Black Hills for sheer scenic beauty (IMO), and I could easily spend the entire week exploring its back roads. Keystone is a quaint little town below Mt Rushmore, and Hill City is the home of the 1880 Train, which travels to Keystone. There's a rock tunnel up on Iron Mountain road that frames Mt Rushmore from the far end. But you hafta adjust camera settings to get a good pic, due to shooting into the light from near total darkness.

In the northern hills, historic Deadwood is a must for wild west fans (Hickock, Calamity Jane), etc., and make sure to take the steep climb to Mt Moriah (boot hill) where many historic graves are located. From there you also get a bird's eye view of Deadwood. The colorful neon lights start coming on about twilight. So much to see, so little time.

Mysteries also occur sometimes. As the Crazy Horse monument was just getting started, I was driving along the main hwy inside the Hills, and came around a curve into a clearing, where there was a small business or two. I was northbound and looked over my left shoulder up into the trees on the hillside. I saw the statue of an Indian chief sitting on a horse. The image was pure stark white, much smaller in scale and much of the horse was hidden in the trees. But none of my relatives, who are life-long residents in the Sturgis, and in the Spearfish area ever recall seeing or hearing about such a statue, and I was never able to relocate the large clearing where the business was, to ask the owner.
    I just felt it was some sort of model casting, to see what it might look like at different locations, for the monument.

The old school in Spokane is an awesome photo shot, if the building is still standing.

Scenic. It made headlines a few weeks ago because the whole town went up for sale, for the price of a condo. Has two ancient jails made out of stone, a closed hostel, closed saloon, and I think one open church. Creepy abandoned playground as well. My family stumbled on to it looking for the badlands.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...hotos123-1.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...yPhotos113.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...yPhotos120.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...yPhotos119.jpg

Thread Information