Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1880-1910 Frontier type town

Default 1880-1910 Frontier type town

I just joined this site a few hours ago after doing a search for Ghost Town building plans. I came upon a thread that was started many years ago about building a frontier type town/retirement place. It is odd that no one ever followed through with such a plan.
    I've been working on the same type plan with the exception of modern conveniences, in the homes and businesses, but as a well hidden feature as not to detract from the overall scheme. I'm currently working on a business proposal to find investors and if I can acquire the land, approx 2400 acres, I will set aside 250 for the town and settlement. This will be a gated type community where parking will be done in a location away form the town and travel will be by primitive means there after. The land is located a couple miles from a small town where the guests or resident can return to a modern era at any time.
    I know the last post I read about this died out after a non follow up, but if I can attract the investors and tourists, we can get up and running.
    Thanks for your time, and don't loose hope. If as many or more people are still intrested from this site, imagine the ones that are out there.
    Contact: tonywright0311@yahoo.com for suggestions, ideas and hopefully I can get my proposal finished soon and massed produced to find as many investors as possible.
    Needed currently, architechs with spare time to help with designs. I was think of primarily masonry type buildings in town and log or masonry type homes.
    Please no spam or hate mail. I'm serious about this project.

I am an architect, licensed in two states (California and Arizona). Is your project located in either of these two states?

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

No, it will be in Texas. Does that mean that anything you design cannot be used in any other state?
    I was a little vague in my first post about most everything because I was so excited that people really wanted to give this a try. I just thought of it as a whim awhile back and it is slowly developing. The modern utilities in the homes are more of a safety issue than anything. We can't have our wastes just flowing into the creeks and rivers around there. Electricity in your home can always be an option but in 110 degree summers I wouldn't suggest it. I plan on using as much kerosene for lighting as possible but I'm not sure if my kids can quit the x-box just yet. I'm sure they would participate part time but not all day every day.
    Every law in town will be voted on by every resident at the time of introduction. We will have the usual everyday issues a town would have. It will be a gun friendly town. Guns will be encouraged to be carried in town, unloaded, because as we get bigger the problem of flagging becomes an issue. Only the Marshal and the deputies will have rounds in their guns in town and all will be certified peace officers of the state. This will help deal with outsiders as we open our doors for tourist revenue. If you plan on drinking in the saloon, take your weapons home or turn them into the marshals office to be retrieved in the morning.
    These are just a few of the ideas I had, but they will be voted upon by all when that time comes.

What happened to all the interest that the previous thread sparked? Am I in the wrong forum? If so please direct this thread to where it is supposed to be. I've got to show enough interest to attract investors.

It can be done . . . .

A friend of mine had the idea to build such a place. He bought property with a "cabin" on it in the high desert about 40 miles from Palm Springs ca. He bagan weekending there and inviting others who were interested in the old west to come visit. They pitched tents for the weekend, . . dressed in 1880s attire, had BBQs out in front of the "cabin" and had a good time. Then a few "old west" buildings were constructed out of salavaged lumber. Then more buildings. Then my friend sold his home and business in Palm Springs and lived on the property full time. Construction of more buildings continued. Someone knew someone who wanted a site for filming some old west scenes. So filming began. After a while ( 13 years now I beleive ) there is a real "town". In 2010 there were 14 productions filmed there. Income from the filming make the town / ranch self supporting. Many more productions filmed this year also. Last winter ( 2010 - 1011 ) I built a building on the "main street". Have a look . . . .

www.drburkholter.com/cf13.html

I'm in northern California right now, . . . will be back down at the ranch and "in residence" thru the winter and spring. There is lots of open ( BLM ) land around it so no crowding. I'm considering the purchase of one of several derelic cabins that are within walking distance of the ranch to renevate for a full time long term home.

It can be done. A little bit at a time. The Ranch site is 5 acres and he has purchased an adjoining 5 acres on which there was a derelict home that he has renovated and is his own residence.

A couple of "shorts" filmed at the ranch last spring....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2vV772pVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26pFhgRlKBQ

ps... I am not a Bi-Cycling . . . Ghost Towner . . . I have no ideeer whur that ever came from . . .
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 09-02-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    - Wolfgang -

I'm sure many would be interested in a town like you propose. Of course you are going to confront many problems along the way. What part of Texas do you have in mind? 2400 acres in West Texas is not super expensive, but go South or East, and you run into quite expensive land. Regulations to set up a town, I imagine, could be a nightmare. Water out West is expensive and sometimes hard to find. Getting power to your town would also be expensive. Good luck, I hope you succeed......Speedy

Although I am not licensed in Texas, my understanding is that they are lenient over there since they don't have the earthquakes like we do. So, yes, my plans should work over there.

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Wonder where in Texas you want to place this Tony? I seem to remember years ago as a kid someone tried building a wild west town as an attraction ,out west, can't recall if it was in the
    the Bandera area, or out towards the Hondo and Uvalde area. I think the buildings are still there, but don't know if it is in use anymore.Can't even recall what it is named.
    There is a place near San Antonio in the Boerne area called Enchanted Springs Ranch.it's not a real town in that sense, but a local attraction and has been used for filming tv and movie stuff.
    You could contact Austin,maybe DPS or State Comptroller's office .they might direct you to the right department.Since I assume the residents will have to work at jobs, you might want to put it in an area that is near some place like San Angelo, San Antonio or where ever. that's something one needs to think about, how far these people have to go to get to work.
    I hope you post something again to give us an update.You might contact Enchanted Springs Ranch or visit it, maybe they might be willing to give some advice.

Hello eveyone. We had a big meeting of the minds this week, and so far so good. I should know if we will receive funding for the project soon. Speedy, you are correct with the difficulties of incorporation for towns but this will be somewhat different. Basically we will be a subdivision with the old west town as the central part. Utilities aren't much of an issue, just as they would be with any subdivision construction. Anyways thanks for the interest and I will sure keep everyone posted

can i be the barber in your town... i would love to be a part of it!

Thread Information