Thread: Red Rock, Pinal County, Arizona

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Red Rock, Pinal County, Arizona

Yesterday on my return trip from Phoenix I made a stop at Red Rock along I-10 to take photos of Picacho Peak. Red Rock is not a ghost town, but it's quite small and there is a white two story home which I'm sure dates back many years. According to Arizona Place Names it originated as a RR station in 1881, was named for a red colored butte (Picacho Peak? Never looked red to me). There are a lot of condos which were constructed in very recent years and a recreation park. Continue further west on Sasco Road and that goes to Sasco. Haven't been able to find anything on it's history other than that in APN, but would appreciate any such info from anyone who is familar with that area. I've always been curious about Red Rock.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Joel has some postings about the area.I used to wander the area. The low level hills just past the Santa Cruz have some petroglyphs. There used to be a really neat adobe ranch house on the way to the glyphs. When Joel last went by there, only a portion of one wall of the home was standing. The place had been heavily vandalized. When I was there in the mid 80's, it would not have been much effort to make the house livable. All the places I new and loved in Pima County have been trashed. I moved to Cochise County and so far, very little vandalism have I encountered. Like night and day actually. Good Luck!
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
    Joel has some postings about the area.I used to wander the area. The low level hills just past the Santa Cruz have some petroglyphs. There used to be a really neat adobe ranch house on the way to the glyphs. When Joel last went by there, only a portion of one wall of the home was standing. The place had been heavily vandalized. When I was there in the mid 80's, it would not have been much effort to make the house livable. All the places I new and loved in Pima County have been trashed. I moved to Cochise County and so far, very little vandalism have I encountered. Like night and day actually. Good Luck!
    Is the area where these petroglyphs are close to the road; easy to get to?
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

I've done a bit of research on SASCO. There's some history regarding the area on my website at: http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...sco/sasco.html

If you need more, let me know and I'll see if I can find some of my old reference material.

Have fun and let me know what you think if you go exploring out there!

matt@experience-az.com
    www.experience-az.com

Thread Information