Proctor, a town of nearly 2000 people at it's peak, was a lumber town built by Ritter Lumber.
After the lumber played out the war effort forced the residents to leave their homes to make way for the Fontana reservoir in 1943. It was hard to argue against the authorities at that time.
Although the TVA never used this 44,000 acres of Swain County as part of the Fontana project, they did not offer to return it to the original owners. Instead they gave it to the National Park Service and it became the southern most part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Allegedly the original plans for the park was the plan to have the Tennessee River as it's southern border. Of course, no one informed all the towns and property owners that existed on the north side of the river. Gone are Proctor, Almond, Fontana, Japan, Forney, Judson, and several other towns.
Another interesting sideline is the controversy of the "Road to Nowhere" that was promised in 1943 so the residents could get to their land and the gravesites of their ancestors. This controversy will disappear as well as many of the family members concerned pass away.