Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local independent film crew searching for cabin/shack

Default Local independent film crew searching for cabin/shack

We’re a local independent film crew looking for a disused/abandoned/weathered cabin or shack in the woods. We would like to shoot in November. Does anyone own or know of anything like that? Even though this is a very low budget production, we would consider providing some financial compensation for the use of the cabin. Thanks so much.

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I know of two that might suit your needs. They are located in southeast Arizona. They are both adobe structures with the roofs intact.

Name:  09 23 24 11 706_07_08_09_10_11_12_AAAtonemapped.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  67.5 KB

The other house is under "cochise county ghost ranch" on this site.
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

That is one nice pic Sunrise.

hamandfish, what states are you looking to shoot in?

Sunrise -- thank you! Those are gorgeous. They are great examples of what we're looking for. Unfortunately, I completely forgot that I wasn't posting in a local forum. We're looking to shoot in Colorado. Sorry!

Your location was what I was also wondering about. . . . I have a cabin . . .but it is a pretty far jaunt from Colorado . . . 30 miles or so to the n.e. of Cincinnati . . .

You can have a look if you care to . . . .

http://www.drburkholter.com/cf8.html

I still "have it" though I'm in California. Did some maintanance in the spring of 2010 when I made a trip back there. It looks better and better as it ages . . . .
    - Wolfgang -

Quote Originally Posted by hamandfish View Post
    We’re a local independent film crew looking for a disused/abandoned/weathered cabin or shack in the woods. We would like to shoot in November. Does anyone own or know of anything like that? Even though this is a very low budget production, we would consider providing some financial compensation for the use of the cabin. Thanks so much.
    Contact me and I will provide some information when I know what you plan to do at the site.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Smile Eastern Colorado can be amazing

Hi Hamandfish! I'm in Colorado and have done a lot of photography of abandoned houses and ghost towns. I have a whole slew of pictures on the internet at RodentRealty.com

Did you have in mind shooting something in the mountains? It's kind of iffy up there in November. But eastern Colorado tends to be beautiful at that time of year. And you would be positively amazed at what's out there.

From about Agate eastward on I-70, and north and south of that, you'll find what was the heart of dust bowl country. And still are a lot of very old towns out there that are barely hanging on.

Best of all, the people are very friendly. I don't think you'd even have to compensate anyone for using a location for filming. Most of the abandoned homes belonged to people who just moved away and never looked back. If you talk to the people around town they'l probably tell you which ones are "unowned" for all practical purposes - or else give permission to take your footage without asking for anything.

I'm going to post some towns with photos and information..... coming in a few.....

Smile

Lincoln County

Arriba is at exit 383 off highway 70. There's a rest stop at the south side of the road, the town is north.

This photo was taken a little less than a mile to the east of town, south of the highway off an access road. There's a larger stucco house on the premises that's delightfully spooky.

The town itself is awesome. Toward the northeast corner there's a junk yard and the old man who runs it can tell you amazing stories. He's old enough to remember the Dust Bowl years, though he was very young. He'll tell you how his father and four other men held on and literally kept the town from disappearing in, I think, 1940 or so.

The first picture below is of a shack that's actually in the old town. There are plenty of those and a lot of real homes that have been abandoned probably for decades.See the second photo.

Smile Agate

Agate (in Elbert County) is another place that has a lot of old buildings, including some that can be called shacks. The town is tiny and mostly abandoned, but there are still a few people there.

It's about 15-18 miles northwest of Limon at exit 340.Go the the southwest side of the road and it's actually walking distance from the interstate offramp. There's a tiny abandoned downtown strip and a lot of abandoned homes, cabins, trailers and shacks - in various stages of disrepair.

Here's a picture of the Agate post office taken in 2009. The sagging wall adjacent to it blew down in a storm in early summer of 2010, and the post office only survived because it's in a former bank building anchored to metal vaults in the basement.That post office is scheduled to close.

Unfortunately, the second picture's been photoshopped to get some of the mess out of the background. But the house is at the southeast corner of town and it's one that a couple of residents suggested not going in - the floor is partially collapsed. The third picture is the farthest north/northwest part of what was the old downtown strip. Farther down, there are a few of abandoned stores and ruined houses.

The town is small but there's a lot there.

Genoa, Colorado

This is a very interesting place. It's the site of the old "Wonder Tower" that was built there in the 1920s. I guess it was a huge attraction back in its day.Here's one link of many that features the tower and it's history.

Genoa, by the way, is not pronounced like the city in Italy. It's GEN-awah.

The downtown area is entirely deserted and the place is full of vacant houses - and surrounded by them, as well.

A couple of pictures are below.....

Thread Information