Thread: Ione, NV miner's cabin in 1/24th scale

Default Ione, NV miner's cabin in 1/24th scale

Here's something a little different that I think you folks might appreciate, being fans of ghost towns...

Besides exploring ghost towns and mines, I also have built a 1/24th scale model railroad on the hillside in our backyard, where I can have my very own ghost towns and mines. Most of the structures so far have been freelanced, but recently I built one that is a replica of an old miner's cabin in the little town of Ione, NV. Here's a photo of the prototype:

As you can see, there are some unique features that really give this cabin a lot of character, particularly the homemade metal awnings over the windows, the stovepipe with its fancy clay cap, and the window cut into the original door. One of the awnings appears to be made from part of the roof of an early automobile.

I only had a couple of photos, taken from a distance, and the the cabin is surround by tall weeds and junk. So I had to "fill in the blanks" using my knowledge of other cabins similar to this one. I also added a window to the blank wall on the opposite side.

The model is made of styrene, textured and painted to look like old, weathered wood. The awnings and corrugated roofing are made of brass. The door and door frame are modified Grandt Line castings.

Here are some photos of the model:

I replaced the saw mounted on the front of the cabin, with a bighorn sheep skull. The skull was sculpted from polyclay...

Here are some close up detail photos. The window shades were made from Tyvek, cut from an envelope and painted a yellowish tan. The curtains were made from lace, saturated with acrylic matte medium and then painted grungy off-white::

Here's the cabin temporarily in place on the layout. I still need to do more work on the site, to bring the concrete "soil" up around the cabin. I also need to add plants, an outhouse, and other details:

You can see more here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Miners_Cabin.html

Ray, . . that is GREAT ! Both the original and your wonderful model. Will have a look at the rest of your railroad when I have the time to linger a while. I'm on RR forums as "Narrow Gauge Lover".
    - Wolfgang -

Wow Ray I visited your site That is really cool.

I just finished making an outhouse to go with the miner's cabin. No particular prototype, but inspired by many I have seen, especially some in Bodie. Like the cabin, this outhouse is made of styrene which has been textured and painted to resemble aged wood. The "tin can" shingles and the metal patches on the sides are made from brass.

I still haven't placed it on the layout yet, but here's how it looks by itself:

The interior includes an old toilet seat, some toilet paper, and a strip of flypaper.

You can see more photos starting here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Miners_Cabin.html#14

Enjoy!

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

That's awesome!

You put so much detail into the buildings that they look almost real taken close-up!
    Do share more with us.

Years ago I had that kind of patience. "YEARS AGO" Ive been to Ione and that area and remember that cabin. Great job.

I admire your dedication and attention to detail!

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Awesome work! I've been to Ione only once, to see the state historical marker there. I've been wanting to get back to Ione and Berlin to do more exploring.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thread Information