Thread: Ghost town freeways.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Ghost town freeways.

I was strolling down memory lane the other day on google earth. Retracing one of my travels from 1999 through the California gold country. I'd spent a few wonderfull days in Placerville. it was in March so off the peak tourist season. On up to Tahoe & Truckee. Beautiful, I have great memories of that trip, the very long way round to Tucson. Next year I went back the same way to the bay area. Traffic was thick as fleas on a dogs backside from Tahoe on to points west. I remember thinking it's just getting too crowded nowadays.

I was shocked to see that now highway 49 is now the El Dorado freeway! With a cloverleaf in & out of Placerville.

The gold country was the escape from the coastal metro mess. I thought it was part of the joy of travel to swing to & fro on the twisty back roads to the highlands of the gold country.

But the freeway to gold country just don't seen right.

Just my thoughts. Danm, I wish the new world was the old new world. A little more difficult of access, & a little more pure of purpose.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Good post.

My daugher lives in Lincoln. North of Roseville and west of Auburn. She's lived there with her husband and family since 1990. And what used to be a small town, with a two lane highway running through oak studded rolling prarie, has turned into urban spraw since it's now simply a suburb of Sacramento. With all the traffic and other problems. I hate to see freeways and huge population centers trying to imulate their small roots (we've been around long enough to know what the real roots were). But it's likely that if they didn't have a freeway for "commuter traffic", mortality rates would be FAR higher.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I guess I just don't like seeing the development. I got out of the Army in 74' in San Jose. Got my first bike, (Triumph 650) and started exploring NorCal. Then it was up & over to Santa Cruz and the coast highway. Wide open, beautiful. Then the development started there and when I hit the traffic jams I switched directions and started exploring the east bay. Tracy, Livermore, Pleasenton, Sunol...it was small town America. Still unspoiled with the little downtown streach, courthouse square and miles of open road between towns.
    Then the ranching and farming land owners realized the new land values, they sold out to developers. It all became subdivisions, huge subdivisions. Man you couldn't escape it.

I had to go farther afield all the way to the gold country. That was still fresh, unspoiled, majestic. Man those were great roads on the hurricane deck of a British iron horse.
    I loved the vibe of the place then. Didn't care to join the Harley bunch and gather at the predictable main street watering holes. I was used to running free and nothing less was satisfying. The more obscure the destination the better.

Now there is no obscure destination. It's all just off the freeway ramp.

Danm it, danm it to ****!

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 02-14-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

I understand completely. We're about the same age. I was born and raised in the Mojave Desert near Victorville. What was once a population of of around 7,000 people in the valley has turned into nearly one million. I left the region in 1974 and moved to the eastern Sierra Nevada at June Lake, and stayed there and in the Bishop area until 2008, when I came to north-central Nevada. Over the years since 1974 I've seen what urban sprawl has done to Reno, Carson City and Gardnerville-Minden. That's why I moved far out to the center, where I shall likely never see urban sprawl in the rest of my lifetime.

By the way, growing up in the desert, I've always had bikes. Dad used to ride a BSA Lightning. Drive it to work M-F, strip off the lights and fenders, and race it every third Sunday in desert scrambles. When I lived in June Lake, I had two Harley's (as well as two Hondas and a Suzuki), but they weren't chopped and I didn't care for the stereotypical Harley crowd. To me a bike was for tossing on some soft luggages and traversing wide open spaces, not bar hopping. In '86, after a year of unemployment and the need to support three kids and a wife, the bikes had to go. Haven't had one since.
    David A. Wright

I complain a lot about the modern world & how over development has spoiled the charm of many places. But I also acknowledge that we lived in the best place & time in human history. We boomers had more advantages; economic, travel, information, education, liberty, freedom of expression, &c than any generation before. We got away with all kinds of stuff that would be on our permanent record in todays pervasive surveillance society. I am truly grateful for the opportunities I have had.

BTW David, your Dad's Beezer, great bike, I had a '65. I love that he used the same bike for a daily driver & raced it too. That's freedom.

<

David - I live just outside of Roseville and get up to Lincoln quite a bit as I have a Sister in Law that lives there. The place was really growing until the downturn in the economy and it stalled out. They are building a freeway around it, as everything goes to two lanes through town and the traffic can get pretty slow. In fact the whole of Hwy 65 up North through the valley is now pretty heavily impacted by growth. Population growth is a major issue for the whole state of California, as the water storage system was built for about 15 million population and we are over twice that size now. Not a good thing for a state that has regular dry spells, like this year seems to be headed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    BTW David, your Dad's Beezer, great bike, I had a '65. I love that he used the same bike for a daily driver & raced it too. That's freedom.
    That's pretty much what everyone did in those days in the desert. Motocross then was just some European sport. We did "desert scrambles." With whatever you had. And had a lot of fun until the factory racers came in with exotic equipment and tons of money and factory support and spoiled it for everyone who raced simply for the fun of it. I don't see the fun in the aerial acrobatics that are de riguer in today's motorcross racing. That got to hurt when they come down the wrong way ... I know that from experience when I was 18 with my girlfriend, riding without helmets, on a dirt back road to Big Bear Lake coming back home when my brakes failed on a steep downhill with a sharp switchback and I ended flying over 60 feet and hitting the top of a pinyon pine, then plummeting 30 feet or so slamming into the ground. Ended up riding home, she with a concussion (she fell off when we left the road), me with a compund fracture in my right leg; the bike sans handlebars (had to drive the remaining ten miles home holding onto the triple clamp and forks, with the throttle between my my left leg and the tank), bent forks and a flat tire and bent rims.

And I'm glad that I got all my teenage adrenelain out of me through racing in the desert and some dabbling with closed circuit road racing, instead of piling up tickets with my buddy and his group, racing mid to late '60s Mopars and Chevelle SS's on the highways and streets (although I did have a '67 for a few years, but the ex wife wrapped that up around a telephone pole north of Lee Vining in '79 while on an LSD high after we split). To this day I'm still a conservative driver, with no accidents of my fault and no tickets. And I average over 40,000 miles per year on each of my vehicles and drove government or company trucks most of those years with far more miles than that.
    Last edited by David A. Wright; 02-15-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    David A. Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    David - I live just outside of Roseville and get up to Lincoln quite a bit as I have a Sister in Law that lives there. The place was really growing until the downturn in the economy and it stalled out. They are building a freeway around it, as everything goes to two lanes through town and the traffic can get pretty slow.
    My daughter still lives in the old part of town, in a nice, older house that she's lived in all those years. It's in a fairly quiet neighborhood, though in recent years the street was extended and the quaint and shady old part of town suddenly transformed into that typical suburban blight of look alike, cheaply built yet expensive homes with no trees and sod grass. I was last over there this past summer and saw the roadwork. Cracked me up how many times that wall has been hit on the sudden curve where the freeway ends and the lanes suddenly go around that tight S curve onto the old main road. And though my daughter manages a small office in town, she now has to resort to all sorts of zig-zagging and detours around town to avoid long waits for a small void to simply turn right to go a couple blocks to her office.
    David A. Wright

Today you have other escape Lanes,like the Route 66 or other Historical Sites which are not much commercialized.
    Or a Fishing trip.Recommend topaz lake,Sure im there again.
    Just rounding up for my next Weeks off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    I was strolling down memory lane the other day on google earth. Retracing one of my travels from 1999 through the California gold country. I'd spent a few wonderfull days in Placerville. it was in March so off the peak tourist season. On up to Tahoe & Truckee. Beautiful, I have great memories of that trip, the very long way round to Tucson. Next year I went back the same way to the bay area. Traffic was thick as fleas on a dogs backside from Tahoe on to points west. I remember thinking it's just getting too crowded nowadays.

I was shocked to see that now highway 49 is now the El Dorado freeway! With a cloverleaf in & out of Placerville.

The gold country was the escape from the coastal metro mess. I thought it was part of the joy of travel to swing to & fro on the twisty back roads to the highlands of the gold country.

But the freeway to gold country just don't seen right.

Just my thoughts. Danm, I wish the new world was the old new world. A little more difficult of access, & a little more pure of purpose.

<

Thread Information