Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: To all the Oldtimers

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wow Brian, that picture is a blast from the past!
    Ralph & I are glad to hear things are going well with you. Hopefully now that your sleep apnea is coming under control, you'll begin to feel even better. By the way, the invitation is always open for you to come back up here and do some exploring with us.

It's so good to read the updates on everyone.

Has anyone heard from Old Judge or Johnnie & Sheila?

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    I haven't been on very often in the past couple years and I'm wondering how all you oldtimers on the forum have been doing. LauraA, Brian10x, campp, Darin, David A wright, GaryB, GhostDancer, ghost_town_huntress, 40FORDJIM, bad bob, dwinslow, Gravelrash, Joel, mainmanwalkin. Mikejts, Norman Johnson, old judge, Rattler, speedy, Tsarevna, Vulture, xplor'npaul, and any of you I may have missed. I havent done much as far as going out but this will change next summer. Its winter and i hope we all can get back to posting like we used to. I had alot of fun back then and all of us are the only ones with triple digit or more posts looking through the member files. I hope you all answer, winter now and what else do we have to do?
    Doing fine Ted; been on a few trips as of late.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

I may be an older timer than most of you...since I first frequented this forum in the late 1990's. I lurk once in awhile, and make a post about once a year. No longer do commercial tours to ghosttowns thanks to the economy, but now have more time to research and write. My website is going strong with loyal readers, and I'm ever vigilant about keeping it up each month. I spent the summers of 2009 and 2010 living and working in Bodie and am active with the Bodie Foundation, volunteering up there when I can, and helping from afar when I can't be up there. I am a part time caretaker up at Cerro Gordo and spent a great deal of time up there this past summer, watching the town, giving tours and history talks to anyone who wanders up there, and getting a tremendous amount of research done.

I also spoke at the Death Valley History Conference for the second time, and debuted my first book at the conference... Cerro Gordo Ghost Town Caught Between Centuries. I self-published the first printing of 100 books which went over well. The Historical Society of the Upper Mojave Desert in Ridgecrest is publishing the second printing and it should be out soon. I'm also working on a Cerro Gordo Images of America book by Arcadia Publishing which will plan to have out in October of 2012 in time for the Lone Pine Film Festival.

Other than that...I don't get out to do the other areas like I used to, except the Western Mojave area once or twice a year. This summer I'll plan to be up at Cerro Gordo two weeks out of every month to help caretake and in Bodie at least for a week in August. Other than that and working hard on the books and other writing projects, I find most of my computer time is spent on Facebook, with an occassional drop by some of my old forums and that's about it. I dabble a little bit in local history in my little town here in Los Angeles, and on occassion write for a little throw away paper on local history. Researching and writing and babysitting ghosttowns seems to be my life nowadays.
    Cecile
    ------------------------
    Well behaved women
    rarely make history -
    Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
    www.explorehistoricalif.com
    www.cerrogordo.us

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Glad to hear everything is well Cecile.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

What mine is this? I'd love to do some photography there.

If you are speaking of Cecile's post, Cerro Gordo is west of Death Valley and Bodie is well ... Bodie!
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

David, I meant this one. Planning on Cerro Gordo in April.

The mine in the photos is definitely not in Cerro Gordo. It appears to be the Billy Mine near Ryan.

Cerro Gordo in April is kind of dicey. The road may or may not have been bladed by then, and the presence of ice and deep snow is a definite possibility, especially early in the month.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Thanks David, we scratch that for a summer trip then. We have 11 days off in April and working on a plan to use it ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    I haven't been on very often in the past couple years and I'm wondering how all you oldtimers on the forum have been doing. LauraA, Brian10x, campp, Darin, David A wright, GaryB, GhostDancer, ghost_town_huntress, 40FORDJIM, bad bob, dwinslow, Gravelrash, Joel, mainmanwalkin. Mikejts, Norman Johnson, old judge, Rattler, speedy, Tsarevna, Vulture, xplor'npaul, and any of you I may have missed. I havent done much as far as going out but this will change next summer. Its winter and i hope we all can get back to posting like we used to. I had alot of fun back then and all of us are the only ones with triple digit or more posts looking through the member files. I hope you all answer, winter now and what else do we have to do?

Welcome back.
    Also on my Way in August.
    Thinking on Flagstaff/Santa Fe for 2 or 3 Weeks
    May take a Guitar with me to teach all the Wild Animals and Thieves a Lesson :-)
    Last edited by Tyroler; 02-17-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Thread Information