Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: To all the Oldtimers

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Still kickin' Ted, thanks fer asking. Spend a lotta time arguing with liberals on a political forum (Topix), but still like to lurk in here to see what's going on.

Gravelrash (Pete) has not been heard from for a long time and my email sent to him long ago, came back inop. Last I heard, he was experiencing severe health problems, and I get a sense that he may not have survived. He has a relative (brother?) back east somewhere, and had his convenience store in Australia up for sale, so that he could afford to bring his family to the US to visit some GTs and possibly even move here.
    Oh that is so sad. I do hope he has made it and just lost touch. I liked him very much.

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    I haven't been on very often in the past couple years and I'm wondering how all you oldtimers on the forum have been doing. ... David A wright, ... I had alot of fun back then and all of us are the only ones with triple digit or more posts looking through the member files. I hope you all answer, winter now and what else do we have to do?
    What else do we have to do? Go explore ghost towns! I took my wife to Daveytown and Jumbo, northwest of Winnemucca yesterday. I've been there several times, but my wife hasn't. Dry winter thus far. Cold, but dry. Nice, leisure drive in my Tacoma. Saw lots of hawks, a wild turkey, chukars (I had my shotgun with me in case, but they're too quick and wiley ...), several antelope and several deer.

I'm still around. Due to very slow Internet (ancient land line, dial-up at max speed of 28.8 - 31 kps) I don't do this forum much. The only form of high speed available where I live is cell phone and satellite, both near $100 month, unacceptible. The v-Bulletin software is slow to load, so I don't check it but once in a while. About the only thing I do is a quick peruse of two main forums - Panamint Charlie and Death-Valley.net on a near daily basis, about five minutes. Once in a while I check in at 4WDTrips.net and here.

Like you, I work in the auto parts industry, O'Reilly's. I hired on part time three years ago when it was still Kragen. I only want enough time to keep my benefits, basically what I'm working for, since I'm semi-retired (too old to work, too young to retire fully). However, it has become a beast and I'm one of the core people in the store and do it all. As you alluded to in one of your posts, you only get sporadic days off and I am in the same situation. Scheduling is random and I can't count on a scheduled day off without being called in.

My wife is disabled, so my free time is dedicated to her. Thus my dropping out of my Internet presence last year of my website. The core part of it is still online at http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net , but I gave the site and files to the long time host of my site for his use, though he's left it as is. The main focus is on California's Eastern Sierra and Death Valley regions, though it has some Nevada. I gave him only the 4x4 trails section, about a third of what the site once was. I just don't have the time and energy to keep it up plus field the flood of emails requesting information, travel tips, requests for guide service, etcetera. I do, however, still do occasional historical consultational work with the media and government entities.

I moved to north-central Nevada in the summer of 2008 and have been enjoying it immensely. I haven't done the amount of off road exploring as I did while living in the Eastern Sierra, but still get out for leisurely day trips now and then. I often hunt small upland game in season, part of the fun. I haven't done a multiple day/night trip since 2009 and I doubt I ever will now. I am at an age now where it hurts to much to camp. But I still have zillions of images and memories when I was young enough to enjoy it.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Default Annie Creek

Who is the South Dakota expert here? I was coming back from ND this summer and attempted to locate the site. I failed. Any help anyone can give me?
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Anne Creek is just off of Scenic 14 (off of Interstate 90), and just South West of Lead in the Black Hills National Forest near North Lawerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    Anne Creek is just off of Scenic 14 (off of Interstate 90), and just South West of Lead in the Black Hills National Forest near North Lawerance.

THANKS - I was able to find the Annie Creek road, actually it follows Annie Creek, but I followed it all the way to the end. At a tailing pile for an open pit. I guess I should have asked if anything remains at the Annie Creek site. I only had a few hours and I was unable to find anything of significance. Has anyone been to the location of the Site?
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    Darin - if you get your Ham Ticket - let us know - that's another time wasting hobby.

Didn't know there wuz any more hams on here. WA6HPT here. Got ticket in 58.
    KF7TOV as of 1-24-2012

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I just stumbled upon this thread-
    I had started to get bored with making multiple visits to the "easy' sites in Southern Arizona, and I was concerned about getting stuck finding the harder ones, as I usually explore alone.
    In addition, I had a period where I had fallen on some bad financial luck, so I sold the 4x4.
    Thank goodness the worst is behind me.
    Once I had the funds for another "project car" I shifted gears and built a weird VW street rod instead of one of the Bajas I've done in the past:
    Name:  IMG_0430.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  86.2 KB
    I still love the desert, and I often go target shooting out among the critters on weekends. I'm working towards losing weight and getting back in shape to shoot in action pistol competitions again.
    Fortunately, I've connected with a gal that digs the desert as much as I do, and I may be selling the VW soon and using the money to upgrade my main vehicle to a proper 4x4 again, to show her where the bodies are buried and the desert ghosts roam free.

My general demeanor has mellowed substantially in the past couple years. I attribute it to a combination of returning to regular church services on Sundays (when time permits) and the slow recovery from recently diagnosed severe sleep apnea. Funny how my personality changed once I reduced my caffeine levels to slightly less than needed to jump start a corpse.

I hope that all is well with all my ghost town friends, and I hope we meet someday out in the middle of nowhere.

Brian

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    KF7TOV as of 1-24-2012
    Well, congratulations. Enjoy the hobby. Don't worry, it's just another way to spend money but it keeps ya off the streets.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hi Teds and everyone! I've just found this thread, it's a most welcome post.
    It's good to hear how everyone's doing, although the news about Gravelrash has me very concerned, he's such a nice guy.
    We haven't been doing much ghosttowning, mostly revisiting some of the places we've been to before because everything else seems a bit too far to travel to...gas prices etc. (laziness, old age)
    Anhoo, I've been lurking on the forum but haven't had anything relevant to post, but I still enjoy reading all the good stuff here.
    We're hoping to be able to get out a bit more in the near future.
    Happy New Year Everyone!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Happy new year laura! Miss you guys!
    Name:  DSC03177.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  99.1 KB

Thread Information