Thread: Picnic Florida old schoolhouse near Fort Lonesome update?

Default Picnic Florida old schoolhouse near Fort Lonesome update?

Can anyone confirm if the old schoolhouse from Picnic, Florida is still around? It was near the Fort Lonesome intersection at the edge of a small field, which according to Google Earth's latest streetview is now empty and plowed over (if I'm looking at the right place). Any information about this?
    thanks,
    Mainmanwalkin

I have explored that house before and have changed my mind about it being an old schoolhouse. It looks like just an old cracker or sharecroppers house.

I will try to get out there and look.

There was interest in saving it but around here that means nothing.

Thanks for giving me a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by mainmanwalkin View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the old schoolhouse from Picnic, Florida is still around? It was near the Fort Lonesome intersection at the edge of a small field, which according to Google Earth's latest streetview is now empty and plowed over (if I'm looking at the right place). Any information about this?
    thanks,
    Mainmanwalkin
    Jim,
    Went out to the site today and, as you suspected, the house has been demolished. Not only that, they have leveled the pine tree woods around it as well. There is a ton of phosphate mining at the same intersection by Mosaic. It might have something to do with that. The area is leveled and it seems to be a temporary fenced in storage area. I was going to take a picture however, it was so ugly I didn't want to waste my time. Sorry to see stuff go.
    Mike

Name:  picnic1 copy.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  51.9 KB

Sad to see this go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Woodfin View Post
    Jim,
    Went out to the site today and, as you suspected, the house has been demolished. Not only that, they have leveled the pine tree woods around it as well. There is a ton of phosphate mining at the same intersection by Mosaic. It might have something to do with that. The area is leveled and it seems to be a temporary fenced in storage area. I was going to take a picture however, it was so ugly I didn't want to waste my time. Sorry to see stuff go.
    Mike
    I did forget to mention that Mosaic (formerly known as Cargill) is working the Ft. Lonesome Mine area just about 40 yards from the road. I have to admit being impressed with the biggest crane/shovel I have ever seen. I was going to take a picture of it working but I had nothing near to show the scale of this thing. Suffice it to say, it looked like a four story building with a shovel attached bigger than a semi truck and trailer.
    Keep GT'n

Thanks for the update Mike. Sounds like there's life yet in Fort Lonesome. What I know of Mosaic it's not surprising that they got rid of the old house and everything else in their way when they came thru. Another place lost to history.

I suspect what you saw was one of the very large walking drag lines that are predominant these days in most strip mining operations. Here is a link to a forum that discusses very large mining machinery and has lots of photos. Most of the big ones weigh at or over a million lbs.

http://stripmine.org/

Thread Information