Thread: Southern Arizona, half century ago...

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Southern Arizona, half century ago...

Still slogging through the AZ Memory project, it's 1600 pages!

I think the detail in these old photo's is amazing.

The Wagon Wheel Bar in Patagonia still exists, though the building was moved to the other end of town.

Washington Camp is just a few original buildings still occupied. That bubble top gas pump is long gone.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Southern Arizona was a no man's land untill mechanical air conditioning beacame widely installed in the 1970's It was still the badlands.

Amado & Carmen are near Tubac. Amado's history goes back to the Spanish period. That "cowboy" in Carmen is wearing shoes...!!!

The Crystal Palace in Tombstone has been through many changes.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 03-07-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Brings back memories of my youth in a small sawmill town. My Dad always got gas at the combination Post Office, General store and provider of Shell gasoline. The gas pump was one with the five gallon (maybe ten) glass reservoir as your photo shows. As a kid, I was fascinated watching the reddish colored (leaded) gasoline fill the glass top of the pump and then drain down into the cars tank. I guess it was about the mid fifties when those pumps were replaced. Seems hard to believe that was more than fifty years ago.

There was another store about a block away that was the real general store and it had Flying A (Associated) brand pumps, but I don't recall we ever got gas there for some reason. I loved the oiled oak floors and the smell of the place, ummm and the five cent candy bars.

Dave, great memories, love it. The smell of damp earth, burlap feed sacks, wood, gives me an attachment to what I consider reality.

<

Part of the Mountain View Hotel in Oracle still stands, Wishing shrine in Tucson is considered a shabby treasure, Patagonia is just cool.

<

Great pictures and great memories!

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Excellent! Thanks for posting these treasures.

Thread Information