Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bisbee 1890, up close

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Bisbee 1890, up close

Bisbee was always bustling in the day. Some of the old photo's show more than the activity, the sharpness of focus & detail are really something.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Attached Images Attached Images   
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Great photos . . .
    - Wolfgang -

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Wow, makes you want to just jump right in there. Nice signs!

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Wonderful photo! There may be a disconnect on the timeline. The building on the right, which may be under construction, is the stock exchange, so the photo is looking up Brewery Gulch. Here is some info on that building (according to the stock exchange website):

"Built in 1905, the beautiful Muheim building housed the Brewery Saloon, the most popular libation hall in Bisbee. But in 1914 the Federal Government enacted and enforced the “Noble Experiment” which banned all alcohol sales and terminated all liquor licenses in Arizona. John Muheim was forced to shut the doors to his saloon and look for new business opportunities for the bar.
    The brokerage firm of Duey and Overlock, located on the second floor, was convinced to relocate their offices to the main floor. A stock board was installed in place of the disassembled bar. A ticker tape was sent from the E.F. Hutton offices in Manhattan and the New York Stock Exchange in Arizona was born.
    In continuous use until 1964, the titles and companies listed on the board are the same ones that were traded on that last day when the market closed. This board was the only one in Arizona that was ever used and affiliated with the NYSE.
    When the doors reopened in the early 1980s, John Muheim’s original intent for his building was once again a reality. The Stock Exchange Saloon proudly displays the board while providing a gathering place for friends and visitors to partake of their favorite spirits in an atmosphere of days gone by."
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

great pics there Vulture!!!!!!

and nice info Sunrise!!!!!

Here is the same scene in 2012

Name:  BREWERY GULCH WEB.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  60.5 KB
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Sunrise,
    Thanks mucho for taking the trouble to show the same view as it is now. Looks like some of the old wooden buildings are gone now but still recognizable. I dig Bisbee.

<

The photo you posted is the best photo I have seen of old Bisbee, so much going on, so many establishments and folks going about their buisness! My grandfather moved here about the time of your photo, I never knew him or even heard much about him from my father. Any rate I hope that if you or anyone else visits here, they will let me know, I'd love to meet up, that's for sure!

Here's where I'm looking through old AZ photo's. It's got tons of stuff, it'll take me months. Here's a link to a search for Bisbee in the "Arizona archive historic photograph" section.

http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm4/resul...histphotos&t=a

<

Thread Information