Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Much as I like this forum...! It's Not April Fools .... announcing a new GT forum

Lightbulb Much as I like this forum...! It's Not April Fools .... announcing a new GT forum

To All GT forum members,

I've really enjoyed participating on these forums over the years Tsarevna is correct in the criticisms and this is the greatest forum around. A lot of the postings were really good, especially the time warp deal!
    Last edited by sbruce; 11-11-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Looks like a great site so far, keep up the good work.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Just signed up myself.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Also joined...
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

I just put up a long post w/photos of the Death Valley Railroad Brill motorcar. Historical shots, restoration photos and those of the car under its own power again after restoration.
    David A. Wright

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I can appreciate your efforts and your enthusiasm for making a new forum. I too would like to see one that was vibrant, and alive, concerning ghost towns.

I have some feedback, and I hope I don't come across as hostile in any way, I just merely have strong opinions on some things and would like to share them with you.

I feel you are making some grave mistakes and are starting off in the wrong direction with your forum. Too many sub-categories are usually the death of a new forum, as it overwhelmes a new user and wearies even old users...it's just too time-consuming to check each little category all the time. Stick with 4, or even less for now.

Also, some things really trouble me. I winced when I saw some of the categories of your forum. I am not suggesting here, rather, I am begging you not to associate metal detecting with ghost towns, in any fashion. I want you to also throw out references to the paranormal. These might be innocent personal interests to you, and for that I am not making any sort of judgement.

However, I think you should consider carefully how wise it is, in general, if you love history and preservation, to connect these two subjects with ghost towning. You will attract the wrong sort of people to the hobby, and the ghost towns will suffer. I'll tell you why I feel this way.

I have come to bitterly regret mentioning off-handidly that a certain ghost town might be haunted. I didn't even suggest it was haunted, merely mentioned a legend about a ghost. I unwittingly unleashed hoardes of bubble-gum chewing brainless teenagers who went out to "get their spook on" and party at a cemetery of a ghost town after they read what I had written. The infuriated locals had to call the police time and again to chase away the teens. I am not wholly responsible for what happened, as the ghost legend appears in many other places on the internet, but nevertheless, I still feel regret for having perpetuated it.

The 2nd type of people that do not belong anywhere near ghost towns are the metal detectors and treasure seekers. Look up the town of Timbuctoo, California. In the 1920's, a preservation group raised money and lovingly restored a Wells Fargo/Assayer's office in the town. It was a local landmark for most of the 20th century, and the last surviving building of the town. That town now has *no* surviving buildings. Why? Because treasure seekers heard a rumor that gold might be bricked up in the walls of the building, so they destroyed it looking for gold. This happened, I believe, in the early 1990s.

Real ghost towners follow the code: take only pictures and leave only footprints. Metal detecting and treasure-seeking is not only detrimental to historic sites, but it is 99% of the time illegal. Think about it: everything you ever see at a ghost town is there because somebody before you who visited the site *left it alone.*

Please don't attract the wrong types of people to the hobby by encouraging them to look at or post on your forum. My disclaimer here is that, of course there are ethical teens, and ethical metal detectorists. But so many are not, and so many are ignorant about preservation that you risk doing more harm than good with attracting them.

Please don't mention antiques, metal detecting, treasure hunting, picking (American Pickers), bottle digging, sign collecting, hauntings, ghosts, paranormal stuff or modern mining. All these topics are fine, just elsewhere!

Do mention: preservation, history, photography, genealogy, cartography, railroads, road trips and that sort of thing.
    That is my plea to you.

Very well stated.
    David A. Wright

Agreed!! I wonder how much more would still be here, if these sites hadn't been picked over.

Regardless, looking forward to the new forum!

Amen, sister!

Beautifully stated Tsarevna. Thank you.

Kathy
    Kathy

Thread Information