Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Route 66 Arizona Trip

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Good trip! Thanks for the story & pics.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

It was encouraging to see former gas, grub, and motel sites reopened for business. Roys in Amboy was closed when I was last there in 1995, but it's open again, also.

Nice photos! Did you get a chance to drive the ~7 mile section from the Deer Farm exit to Parks? There is a very short section of it that is concrete and unbelievably smooth. The views of the San Francisco Peaks as you head east on this section are wonderful. The old country store/gas station at Parks is still in buisness.

Here is a link to a 1976 interview with Harvey Nininger: http://archive.library.nau.edu/cdm4/...ISOBOX=1&REC=3
    It is very interesting listening. He describes how the meteorite museum building was constructed. Based on what he says in the interview, it is no surprise that it is now in such poor shape. I am currently reading this book that Harvey wrote: http://www.amazon.com/Find-Falling-S...5210173&sr=1-1. It describes his time at the museum and his searches at Meteor Crater as well as his other meteorite searches around the world.

Joe

Thank you for the link to the interview. I should have done more reading before heading out there. Now that I'm back home I'm learning all kinds of things that I wished I'd have known (like the stretch of Old Route 66 between Deer Farm and Parks).

I'm planning another trip soon so I can see the Oatman/ Gold Road leg of Route 66 (the pre-1953 alignment) again and stop at Cool Springs. I'd also like to take a look at the Beale Wagon Road that supposedly is visible near the Sitgreaves Pass.

Check out my earlier post (#4 on the lst page of this thread) for some other interesting sections to check out. I haven't been to Oatman in years but I have good memories of going there as a kid in the early '70s and the family having steak dinners at a restaurant there. It was in the bottom floor of the large false-fronted building that you can see in the movie 'How The West Was Won'. We used to spend a fair bit of time checking out Goldroad. There used to be many standing structures (some had old newspapers from the '20s on the walls for insulation; neat reading them) and a cemetary. I believe that the area has been very heaviy impacted by recent mining and I'm guessing little if anything is still standing. Some of my most vivid memories of the area center on Ed's Camp. My dad did a bit of prospecting in the Black Mtns. (the range where Goldroad is located) and was always taking me and my brothers out to explore old mines, caves, prehistoric ruins and rockart etc. He got to know Ed Edgerton (the founder of Ed's Camp), as well as many of the old-time miners, and we would spend hours sitting under his ramada listening to him talk about the nearby area. He would show us pictures of when he took folks from the Smithsonian to area rockart sites etc. He had to have been in at least his mid 80s at the time. The Camp was littered with rocks and things he'd found in the nearby hills and he could tell you exactly where he found them. He would tell my dad about neat old sites and give him directions. We'd spend a weekend looking for the place but would never find it on the first try. Turns out that Ed wouldn't give us the correct location; he wanted to see how bad my dad really wanted to check the place out. He figured that someone as persistent as my dad was, was probably interested in the sites for their historical value and just not to go and exploit it by taking artifacts etc. With each visit, he would give out a bit more info and we'd eventually locate the site. We ended up seeing some pretty incredible places because of him. Most of them are now located in what has become the Mt. Nutt Wilderness. My dad recorded many of the conversations on cassette. I've got a copy of one of the converstations. I need to figure out how to get it into digital format.

Here are a few links to info on the Camp. In the past, I've found much better sites that had a fair bit of info on Ed himself but I can't locate them now:
    http://route66.atwebpages.com/rppc/azwest.html
    http://www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66goldroad.htm
    http://www.erench.com/FAMILY/2007/12...DSCA/index.htm
    Last edited by JEC; 04-27-2012 at 11:22 AM.

This is a great thread! I too want to do a route 66 exploration trip soon.All the links with the posted pictures are neat to see,, as they document the changes that have occurred over the years. I'll throw in this link-even though it may alreadt be posted elsewhere here.
    http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-ghosttowns.html

I've traveled may parts of 66. In fact on my first trip to the west in '72 I was driving the 2 lane blacktopped route 66 in the part of Arizona where the interstate had not been built yet. It was great. The very, very best experience I've had on 66 was to visit Alenreed Texas a couple of years ago. http://www.legendsofamerica.com/tx-alanreed.html I just pulled off the interstate to stop at a store there. Found that the old road thru the "town" is very old pavement and I presume it to be the original paving of 66. Very narrow, ragged edges and lots of cracks. Has had so little traffic that there has never been a reason to re-pave it. Driving on that was a THRILL. The little store at Alanreed is good also. Don't fail to stop there if going thru the Texas panhandle.
    - Wolfgang -

Thread Information