Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Route 66 Arizona Trip

Default Route 66 Arizona Trip

Howdy, folks.

Usually I'm mostly interested in mining towns and camps, old military outposts, and the occasional railroad town. This time I'm going from So' Cal' to the Petrified Forest and will be looking for towns and stops deserted by the opening of I-40.

I've seen photos of the shell of the Painted Desert Trading Post, but I'm not sure where it is. I've seen it listed as on Pinto Road east of the Pertified Firest National Park entrance. How far east?

Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stop that are easily accessible from I-40? The Padre Canyon Bridge looks pretty cool, but it's not easy to get to. I'll have my wife and two kids along, so I won't have time to spend hours hiking around or driving off into the boonies to see old sites.

If I recall, there are limited sections of 66 still open most notably around Kingman and Seligman. Don't miss Oatman or Sitgreaves Pass if that stretch is still open. I took the route from Needles to Williams in 2001 and had to turn back for time constraints. It has been over ten years for me, but I recall that Seligman had a very 1950's semi-ghost feel to it, while Kingman is just Kingman. We went from Needles to Williams but I'd say Oatman was the highlight of the trip, with Sitgreaves pass a close 2nd. On these roads all of the old attractions have disappeared and most of their signs have been looted.... original 66 signs are quite valuable and even on ebay the real ones are seldom found. [NB: The very collectible original 66 sign is why you see them - if present at all - mounted so high up on the telephone poles or wires ie to prevent theft] In 2001 there were still some hulks of old service stations and motels on AZ 66, all of them in bad shape. For me it was depressing because my folks moved the family from Redlands California to Virginia via 66 to St Louis, then went east when I was a kid in 1969; I had good memories of the trip, so seeing 66 in such a state made me wonder about all the changes that have taken place in this country. Anyway, if I recall correctly you can see almost everything of interest from the road. There are places where you are forced to follow I-40 but can see old 66 in the distance, with no traffic on it. The access to 66 on those sections seems to have been totally cut off, so better not to try and drive them if you are with the fam. As a pet peeve, I always believed I-40 should have been named I-66 as a salute to our heritage and history. However bureaucrats evidently don't have the same thought processes normal human beings do, so I-40 it is. There are a couple of good websites about the trip but use google to find more. http://www.route66university.com/maps/arizona.php and http://www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66goldroad.htm BTW if you have a chance please join us on http://www.ghost-towns.org/ where there is a forum for abandoned highways such as Rt 66.

Painted desert trading Post video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfyLiT1KrGQ
    Padre Canyon Bridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrE0TV-kzKQ
    Last edited by sbruce; 04-03-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Thank you for the response.

Apparently the road to the Painted Desert Trading Post ruins is long and in such poor condition I won't be able to take it on this trip. Too bad.

My first Route 66 trip as an adult was as part of a photo shoot back in 1992. Seligman was working hard to capture the benefits of the then-new Route 66 fever. Angel Delgadillo used his barber shop as a museum, and his brother Juan ran the Snow-Cap Drive In. Juan died a few years back, but his son was still running the place with the same corny gags when we visited last year on our way back from Prescott.

I don't think we'll have time to see Oatman this trip. One thing I noticed is that a gas station between Oatman and Kingman that was nothing but a partial shell back in 1992 has been rebuilt.

You can drive 66 from the Colorado River to just a few miles west of Ashfork. I travel west from Flagstaff quite a bit and always opt for drivng 66 from Ashfork (Crookton Rd. exit) to Kingman rather than staying on I-40. Very beautiful country in there. You can see all sorts of various alignments of the road through there. Sections of 66 are visible from I-40 between Ashfork and Williams as you go up the hill. You can also see portions of the route if you take the Welch Rd. exit and turn to the north. You can take the Devil Dog Rd exit off I-40, go south, and see a portion of the route. There are interpretive signs for it near off the Welch Rd exit, the Devil Dog exit, and further east near Parks. There is a short but beautiful paved section of the route between the Deer Farm and Parks. It is about 7 miles total. There are some of the neat old original buildings from the Rt. 66 days in Parks but all but it seems that all but one are abandoned and falling down. You can walk one of the older alignments just east of Parks and see the remains of an old roadside campground. There are all sorts of scattered old cans and bottles along the route. The route soon turns to dirt. This dirt section is one of the earlier alignments. It is very passable even in a low-slung car and eventually comes out at Bellemont. If you cross over the interstate towards Camp Navajo, you can turn left (on what is now the frontage road) and follow a 2-3 mile section of the route. It pretty much peters out just past an old Richfield gas station. You can pick the route up again a couple miles west of Flagstaff and can follow it all the way east through town, onto Townsend-Winona Rd. (used to be 66) and follow it to Winona. You can even follow it a few miles east from Winona as it is the frontage road to the north of I-40. It soon turns to dirt. I THINK an earlier alignment follows the frontage road on the south of I-40. You can use Google Earth to track it further east toward Canyon Diablo and beyond. There were quite a few different alignments of it over the years. It has been difficult for me to sort them all out. Enjoy the trip!
    Last edited by JEC; 04-05-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Just west of the Meteor Crater exit off I-40 (I'm pretty sure it is just west, I should remember considering how many times I've driven by it) are the remains of Harvey Nininger's American Meteorite Museum. Here is a pic: http://www.jensenmeteorites.com/Post...AMM/AMM-M1.jpg It was along Route 66. He became the authority on meteorites and amassed the largest known collection. He wrote a couple of books that are worth reading.

JEC is the meteor crater fenced off now? Years ago you could hike down a steep trail into the crater itself and you could hike anywhere around the rim of the crater to get different perspectives. I have heard that it is all fenced off now, and can only be viewed from a particular viewing platform?

Sorry, but I haven't been out there since 1988 or so. It was still possible to walk around the entire rim at that time. I don't remember if the trail to the bottom was still open.

Joe

Thanks for the info, JEC.

I think we'll take Old Route 66 east from Kingman to Seligman and take I-40 most of the rest of the way. I remember seeing the photo of the Meteorite Museum and its famous observation tower from which to see the crater way off to the south (the photo I saw was of its recent ruins). Meteor Crater will be one of our stops. The website said it's $16 for each adult to enter, but I've read the museum (i.e. the one right next the crater) is pretty good. Somewhere along the way I hope to find a probably-made-in-China turquoisish bolo-tie like my grandfather would have worn back in the good ol' days. Maybe the kids will find tchochkes to their liking at the Jackrabbit Trading Post in Joseph City. Who knows?
    Last edited by shirohniichan; 04-06-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: correction

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Twin Arrows and Two Guns are east of Flagstaff. Twin Arrows is not much more than some old buildings and a diner. I think it is sort of blocked off but you can jump the wall. It's mostly an old Rt 66 gas station and stop. Two Guns has a modern part and the older ruins from 66 days. Search around for info on this place, there are lots of remnants of tourist cabins and a small zoo. Also, I second checking out Ash Fork, and Holbrook has some interesting buildings and sites too.

Most important, Have Fun!

Default Cool Springs

In reading a recent book on Route 66, I came across photos of the gas station ruins I saw between Kingman and Oatman back in '92.

Here is a link to a site the owners made after they rebuilt it.
    http://www.coolspringsroute66.com/

I won't have time to stop on this trip, but I'd like to check it out before too long.

Thread Information