Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Several Mines in Southern Arizona--Then and Now

Default Several Mines in Southern Arizona--Then and Now

I recently came across an online collection of USGS photographs that were taken in 1909 in the Santa Rita and Patagonia Mountains of Arizona. Those photos were later used in a USGS bulletin published in 1915 detailing the mineral resources of those mountain ranges. The interesting photos in the group were of several mines visited during the field research. I had to go see what was going on at the old sites today. I went to these mines: Alto Mine, World’s Fair Mine, Sweet Mine, Helvetia Mine Camp, Copper World Mine, Isle Royal Mine, and Total Wreck Mine. I went near the Salero Mine, but it is heavily posted against unauthorized entry! I still have several other sites to see as time permits.
    The first set of photos are the “then”(1909) and “now”(2012) of the Sweet Mine. This old mine is located west out of Temporal Gulch at the southern end of the Santa Ritas. It is a few miles north of the town of Patagonia. This mine was operated in conjunction with the nearby Black Cap Mine and they were known as the Mansfeld Group and together produced copper, lead and silver ore. The Sweet Mine was accessed by a 360’ vertical shaft which is still open today. Also installed at the mine was a 30 ton matte smelter. Today, not much exists at the mine except for the dumps, the mine shaft with its concrete collar and a few other concrete foundations. Using the early photo, it was possible to associate several of the foundations with their former structures.
    The second set of photos is of the Copper World Mine. In 1909, it was the primary producer of copper ore to the Helvetia Smelter. The mine is located alongside a popular 4WD trail on the northwestern slopes of the Santa Rita Mountains about 1 ¼ miles north of the Helvetia site. This mine was accessed by a double compartment inclined 500’ shaft. There were 12000 feet of tunnels, drifts, winzes and stopes. At one time there was quite a bit of surface development as seen in the 1909 photo. Esentially, NOTHING exists there today! I did find the remnants of one of the old water tanks, the platform for the hoisting machinery and very little else. The mine area has been reclaimed, I believe, by the folks wanting to pursue the mine at Rosemont.
    I have set up a webpage showing the “then” and “now” at these and the other sites from the list above. Those photos are higher resolution than those posted here. Plus, there are photos of some of the relics seen around the sites. The link is:
    www.azbackcountryadventures.com/rita.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice job on the then and now photos, really interesting.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Great post. This is the area of AZ that has been of the most interest to me for years. That you did the work to get the "then & now" shots from ths same perspective is brilliant. I have some Salero photos I'll have to dig up & post. Yes it is on private property. There is a community preserved at Salero, there is one wall preserved at Helvetia. Public access allows the dregs to ruin history. The only ruin at Alto is defaced with grafitti.

Thanks for the effort to present this history. The link to your site is worth checking out.

Muchos Gracias!

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

While down in the Santa Ritas to do the photographs, I happened to cross paths with a Border Patrol officer. After a few minutes of conversation, he told me about a cabin further up in the mountains. Needless to say, I had to go check things out. It is on a pretty rugged trail, but it may be the most liveable cabin in those mountains that I have been to. BTW, if any of you local guys have any inclination to check out the Isle Royal Mine, Copper World Mine or the slag dump at Helvetia, keep a sharp eye out. I dropped a new 4G Samsung Stratosphere phone in that area. Its battery was dead before I could get back with another phone to ring it up. I have walked the area several times with no luck......

Name:  cabin.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  75.5 KB

Wow! Love the "before and after" pictures like those. Thanks for posting!
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Awesome before and current photos! One thing that always amazes me between the two is the difference in trees and bushes. In the old pictures, the desert looks almost barren (compared to the current pictures). I am assuming this is due to cutting up the trees and bushes around these camps for fire wood? Is that correct? Also, LOVE your website. You've got lots of cool adventures there.
    "Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Pretty dang awesome! I love seeing before/afters. Keep them coming. And, nice website btw too!

Really nice pics, thanks.......Speedy

Great post!

I must have poor imaginative powers, because without your before photos I would not have imagined anything like the structures in the "before" photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Toysx2 View Post
    While down in the Santa Ritas to do the photographs, I happened to cross paths with a Border Patrol officer. After a few minutes of conversation, he told me about a cabin further up in the mountains. Needless to say, I had to go check things out. It is on a pretty rugged trail, but it may be the most liveable cabin in those mountains that I have been to. BTW, if any of you local guys have any inclination to check out the Isle Royal Mine, Copper World Mine or the slag dump at Helvetia, keep a sharp eye out. I dropped a new 4G Samsung Stratosphere phone in that area. Its battery was dead before I could get back with another phone to ring it up. I have walked the area several times with no luck......
    Name:  cabin.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  75.5 KB
    That is a nice cabin. Thanks for posting.
    - Wolfgang -

Thread Information