Thread: Why this forum is dying...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Why this forum is dying...

I have a lot of affection for this place. Old west history is my passion. Been an active member for years.

This place is in the crapper for one reason, lack of participation. I've seen many good posts go completely unsupported, just plain ignored, in the last few years. A recent example is;

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...a-Then-and-Now

Just one example. Toysx2 did a lot of work to accomplish the "then & now views". As of my posting this, 106 views, 1 reply.

I'm surprised the forum is still in existance, there's so little appreciation for what the active members contribute.

Get off your a s s people! Contribute! Appreciate!

You won't miss your water till the well goes dry.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

"Get off your a s s people! Contribute! Appreciate!

You won't miss your water till the well goes dry."
    Here! Here!
    I agree with every word!

I think it will pick up now that summer is here.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

I've also been an active member for years, since the inception of this forum. And a GT.com contributor since its earliest days online.

However, though no fault of this forum nor its participants, I am choosy about what threads I watch, follow, participate in. Because I'm just choosy. I have no interest in ghost towns outside of the Great Basin, primarily eastern California and Nevada. So I don't even open the others outside of this realm. I don't knock those who discuss and post ghost towns from other states in the US or other countries, for that matter. I encourage those who do in regions outside of my region of interest to post and participate.

Another reason I don't follow certain threads is also a fault of my own. In that I stubbornly hold on to dial-up Internet access. I live in a very rural region and my land line is not modern, nor is fiber optic. My speed runs roughly half of normal dial up speed. Thus my only choice for high speed Internet access is a cell phone modem or satellite. Both start in the $90 per month cost. I've been with the same dial-up company for more than a decade and my $10 per month cost has never changed. Paying nine times or more than what I do now is a cost I refuse to pay, as the Internet to me isn't all that important.

So, that is why you don't see much of me. I do stop by at least once per week, but when I hit the new tab and see nothing but stuff that is likely full of photos (which take minutes or more to view only one image unless it's thumbnailed or very small) or is a topic about which I'm not interested in, I just go somewhere else. Or turn off the computer and go ghost towning or exploring in my own back yard.
    Last edited by David A. Wright; 06-26-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Relatively new to this forum, but no fault but my own, cannot drive due to lack of common sense, haven't logged in for awhile, that will change in August, I hope, then the wanting to see some place/thing kicks in.

Wait a bit.im just sorting any Private out

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    I've also been an active member for years, since the inception of this forum. And a GT.com contributor since its earliest days online.

However, though no fault of this forum nor its participants, I am choosy about what threads I watch, follow, participate in. Because I'm just choosy. I have no interest in ghost towns outside of the Great Basin, primarily eastern California and Nevada. So I don't even open the others outside of this realm. I don't knock those who discuss and post ghost towns from other states in the US or other countries, for that matter. I encourage those who do in regions outside of my region of interest to post and participate.

Another reason I don't follow certain threads is also a fault of my own. In that I stubbornly hold on to dial-up Internet access. I live in a very rural region and my land line is not modern, nor is fiber optic. My speed runs roughly half of normal dial up speed. Thus my only choice for high speed Internet access is a cell phone modem or satellite. Both start in the $90 per month cost. I've been with the same dial-up company for more than a decade and my $10 per month cost has never changed. Paying nine times or more than what I do now is a cost I refuse to pay, as the Internet to me isn't all that important.

So, that is why you don't see much of me. I do stop by at least once per week, but when I hit the new tab and see nothing but stuff that is likely full of photos (which take minutes or more to view only one image unless it's thumbnailed or very small) or is a topic about which I'm not interested in, I just go somewhere else. Or turn off the computer and go ghost towning or exploring in my own back yard.
    Im looking a bit around,but going towards the 60 im thinking in a small lot of 40 Acre or so with a cabin on it to stay there over Winter,around Nevada and california.South Colorado were a choice too.

One issue with this site is personal message spam, for example from one "FrankQAR" in personal messages + at one time this site was down a lot, which seems to have been corrected. But I'd guess major issues relate to a combination of legal and copyright liabilities that the company hosting this site must face + the moderator(s?) participation and the newbie posting policy. I don't know why certain newbies can post and others cannot.
    Last edited by sbruce; 11-11-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Default Not sure but

Not sure why it is dying. Some input for me as I have fallen away from using the forum. I visit occasionally, usually when I am searching for a specific item or researching places to go.

1 - Way to many threads containing same or similar items. This also causes searches to yeild multiple results (threads)
    2 - lack of responses to new posts - questions etc. (Still wondering if anyone reads some of my past questions and if so why no replies)
    3 - Lack of time to monitor all the stuff available here.
    4 - Travel alot to remote areas (gone for 2 months and just back)
    5 - Some much data and so little time. I have become selective on what I view on the internet.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Thread Information