Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhyolite and Goldfield

Default Nr Coaldale and Goldfield

I'm not a pro but here are a few Goldfield snaps, with the first being near Coaldale, which is a bizarre abandoned place on the way to Goldfield.

Name:  water_truck.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  47.8 KB

This ancient water truck has been propped up here for years. It surprises me that some trillionaire has not appropriated it for their private collection; or alternatively been vandalized down to the floor boards.

This next is of Dahlstrom's garage in Goldfield... quite a tragic story about this guy, even though he passed a couple of years ago looks like he just left yesterday. I was dismayed that every picture I could find of Dahlstrom's garage on the 'net has been copyrighted. I don't want to start a fire storm about free speech on the 'net ... I know the opinions pro photographers have on the subject. Suffice to say that my photo here is not copyrighted, is in the public domain, and can be used in any way anyone sees fit including political, however if a Santa Barbara trillionaire wants to buy it from me for a few billion that is no problem!

Name:  dahlstrom.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  86.8 KB

Next is inside a miner's cabin through the window and whoever lived inside left long ago. This is across from the Santa Fe which is a great place to stay in Goldfield:

Name:  miners_cabin.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  81.2 KB

Here is the cabin, taken at night so sorry for the poor quality:

Name:  miners_cabin2.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  96.9 KB

Finally I was saddened to see that Angela and Steve want to sell the Cook Bank building that they so carefully restored over a period of ten+ years. The town needs people who want to restore these old buildings and live in them, as it is clear there is little public will to do it? I wonder if a 501c3 charity can be set up in this regard? Call it the "Goldfield Conservancy" perhaps? Tex Rickard's old place is one of the first in mind.

Nice post, thanks.....Speedy

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I remember my Dad having to stop at Dahlstrom's garage around 1989 or so during a trip to my Uncle's in Gardnerville, NV. We ultimately had to get parts in Hawthorne, but I remember going into the old restaurant next door for a soda.

I think the biggest issue with places like Goldfield is there is no money to be made, so very few can afford to survive there, much less buy a place like the bank and keep it up. The economy doesn't help either, there's quite a few places around here I'd like to invest in but my extra monthly income is non existent right now.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

An interesting thread. Thanks for posting nice photos. I haven't been in that area . . . . and I look forward to visiting there some time in the future, . .
    - Wolfgang -

We just got back from a 9-day road trip up Highway 49 in California, and down 95 in Nevada, visiting the ghost and semi-ghost towns on the way. Goldfield was one of our favorites, and we enjoyed tracking down the remains of the three railroads that used to serve this town. One picture is of the turntable pit for the Tonopah & Goldfield RR, and the depot ruins are from the Las Vegas & Tonopah RR.

Name:  DSC09376.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  92.5 KBName:  DSC09385crop.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  79.8 KB
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

This had to be one of the most amazing things we saw in Goldfield. This perfectly intact car parked inside a garage, with 1925 plates, as if someone just parked it there and walked away! (Does anyone recognize the make/model of this?)

Name:  DSC09367.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  93.7 KBName:  DSC09365.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  93.1 KBName:  DSC09363.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  85.9 KB
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Great pics josta looks like you had an exciting time there. I'd guess the truck is a Ford Model T truck by the look of the wheels...?

Excellent photos! Not sure of the make and model. Any more?

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Looks like the rear differential of a Model T. The steering wheel too, at least it's the kind they used on Model A's and T's as far as I know.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thanks, sbruce. Also, I stand corrected...it's a truck, not a car!

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Thread Information