Thread: Cascade Station, WA

Default Cascade Station, WA

The east portal of the old Cascade Tunnel that connected to the Wellington side, and the site of Cascade Station, originally called Tunnel City. The primary purpose for Cascade Station was for trains added or removed electric locomotive "helpers."

Although the Cascade Tunnel solved one problem, it did create an unforseen problem. The tunnel was constructed so that the prevailing wind of the pass would blow through the tunnel clearing it of smoke from steam locomotives. However if the wind was light or coming from another direction, the smoke and heat could be fatal to engine crews and passengers. The railroad tried to solve the problem, but locomotives became larger and so the problems became worse. In 1909, the railroad added overhead wires in the tunnel so electric locomotives could be used to pull trains through the tunnel.Name:  cascadesta3.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  96.3 KB
    Attachment 7053
    Name:  cascadest2.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  94.8 KB
    http://www.ghosttownsofwashington.co...e_Station.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.ghosttownsofwashington.com
    Check us out on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ghost-...35388916507502
    Ghost Towns of Washington is one of the most comprehensive sites covering ghost towns and former mining camps in Washington State.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Looks like a nice area to go see. Is the tunnel closed/fenced off as, if my eyes don't deceive me, I see a gate inside the tunnel? Also, was it the East side or the West that had the fatal accident...or am I thinking of a different tunnel all together?

The tunnel is closed in the sense that there is a sign warning people not to enter no gates however. Part of the tunnel ceiling collapsed sometime back forming a sort of dam in the tunnel where water backs up and then releases rather sudden. This is the the East Portal, the West Portal is where Wellington is and the avalanche occurred in 1910. There are quite a few remnants on this side and it is not an interpetive site like Wellington. I fear in the not so distant future someone will get killed or seriously injured by ignoring the signs and they will probably blast the tunnel.
    www.ghosttownsofwashington.com
    Check us out on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ghost-...35388916507502
    Ghost Towns of Washington is one of the most comprehensive sites covering ghost towns and former mining camps in Washington State.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Great info...thanks!

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Where is this located?
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

I was just up there today - well, more or less. I was on the Wellington side, driving the Old Cascade Highway. I'd love to see the other end of the tunnel - how does one get to Cascade Station?

Thread Information