Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California (Mojave) Ghost Towns

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default California (Mojave) Ghost Towns

Originally posted by Thomas

: I have always wanted to go and explore an old abandoned ghost town and old mines with some of my friends. I live in Los Angeles, CA. I can see from the website here that there are lots of ghost towns in San Bernardino County and some in Riverside County.

: So the question is:

: Does anyone know which of these would be great for a little adventure. Like actually being able to go inside the old buildings and mines. Please, no tourist places. I am really looking for completely abandoned towns.

: Sounds like fun!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: California (Mojave) Ghost Towns

Originally posted by Cal

: Even though I live in Canada, I make a yearly visit to the Mojave area & environs. I'd look for the small history books ('Mines of the xxxx')I found at the visitor's centers (such as in Barstow). The LaSiesta(?) press are good.

: Practically all of the true ghost towns are gone, due to wear and tear and/or vandalism. The only towns that may have some buildings have some sort of upkeep, such as Bodie or Rhyolite, or gone commercial (Calico). Others like Silver Lake, Greenwater, & Ballarat don't have much other than debris. Many are in the military ranges and are inaccessible.

: I'd stay away from going into mines. Most of the accessible ones are boarded off (for liability purposes obviously) and you can get in a lot of trouble in those that you can get into.

: Remember, it ain't no fun if you don't get back.

: Regards,

: Cal

: Vancouver BC Canada

Originally posted by lynda

: YOU MIGHT ENJOY GOING TO PROVIDENCE. THERE ARE

: SOME RUINS LEFT, MOSTLY ROCK BUILDINGS. MINE RUINS

: FOR SURE. YOU CAN GET THERE WITH A REGULAR CAR.

: THE GENERAL DIRECTIONS ARE: FROM HWY.66 AT ESSEX

: OR FROM HWY 40 TAKE ESSEX ROAD TOWARD MITCHELL

: CAVERNS STATE PARK. 7.9 MILES PAST HIDDEN HILLS RD

: TAKE A RIGHT ON A DIRT ROAD. THIS IS A RANCH AREA.

: YOU WILL SEE RANCH BLDGS OVER ON THE RIGHT & A FEW

: COWS.ON THE LEFT ON THE HILL YOU WILL SEE TAILING

: PILES.FOLLOW DIRT ROADS IN THAT DIRECTION & YOU

: CAN'T MISS IN.THERE ARE OTHER MINES IN THE CANYON

: STRAIGHT AHEAD ON THE SAME DIRT ROAD.HAVE FUN!

: THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHERS, DON'T LET ANYONE TELL

: THE ONLY ONES LEFT ARE CALICO TYPES.

: : I'd stay away from going into mines. Most of the accessible ones are boarded off (for liability purposes obviously) and you can get in a lot of trouble in those that you can get into.

: : Remember, it ain't no fun if you don't get back.

: : Regards,

: : Cal

: : Vancouver BC Canada

Default calico mines

Originally posted by kel

: : YOU MIGHT ENJOY GOING TO PROVIDENCE. THERE ARE
    : : SOME RUINS LEFT, MOSTLY ROCK BUILDINGS. MINE RUINS
    : : FOR SURE. YOU CAN GET THERE WITH A REGULAR CAR.
    : : THE GENERAL DIRECTIONS ARE: FROM HWY.66 AT ESSEX
    : : OR FROM HWY 40 TAKE ESSEX ROAD TOWARD MITCHELL
    : : CAVERNS STATE PARK. 7.9 MILES PAST HIDDEN HILLS RD
    : : TAKE A RIGHT ON A DIRT ROAD. THIS IS A RANCH AREA.
    : : YOU WILL SEE RANCH BLDGS OVER ON THE RIGHT & A FEW
    : : COWS.ON THE LEFT ON THE HILL YOU WILL SEE TAILING
    : : PILES.FOLLOW DIRT ROADS IN THAT DIRECTION & YOU
    : : CAN'T MISS IN.THERE ARE OTHER MINES IN THE CANYON
    : : STRAIGHT AHEAD ON THE SAME DIRT ROAD.HAVE FUN!

: : THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHERS, DON'T LET ANYONE TELL
    : : THE ONLY ONES LEFT ARE CALICO TYPES.

: : : I'd stay away from going into mines. Most of the accessible ones are boarded off (for liability purposes obviously) and you can get in a lot of trouble in those that you can get into.

: : : Remember, it ain't no fun if you don't get back.

: : : Regards,

: : : Cal
    : : : Vancouver BC Canada

Originally posted by Rick Lucky

:
    : I have been to some abandoned mining camps out in the desert, the coolest one so far is just before you get to Red Mountain off Hwy 395, there is still the remains of an old wooden hoist there and a big pit as well as a lot of old foundations etc. A very cool place, if you go out there early on a weekday morning, you can almost hear the old miners in action. Unfortunately there are a lot of off roaders that use that area too and they have torn the **** out of a lot of the stuff. Also, in Kern County, there is an old mining settlement just north of the Trona Cutoff and on the east side of the highway, you can also see an old water tower down by the railroad tracks which is kind of interesting, not much left but foundations but you can still find some little scraps of trash etc. I would stay out of the mines themselves, they can be very dangerous.
    : the whole desert area is covered with old mines and town sites but you just have to look around.
    : There are the remains of an old dairy just off HWY 395 right before you get into Red Mountain, this was used to supply milk to the miners before refrigeration was available out there. The most fun I have had when I find an old settlement is to look for what I call the "treasure trove". This would be their garbage pit, usually located just outside the encampment.......good luck.

Smile

there is also the town of high vista their are stil residents out there scattered, but, their are alot of homesteads to explore

Greetings Everyone,
    Varney's book is a good one, but with any book you have to remember that the site has aged and with that comes more depletion. But if you are looking for somewhere to go, I would suggest just about anywhere of the I-40. The list of ghost towns include Ludlow, Ragtown, Stedman, Kelso and Providence all of these are in Varney's book. You may also consider looking for some of the past issues of Desert Magazine:

Providence Jun71 map Feb70

Stedman Aug71

Ludlow Feb74

There are over 200 ghost town stories within Desert magazine, but you need to know the name of the place. I can help you as much as I can and if you want to look at the original articles, you can find them here ( http://dezertmagazine.com ) just click on the tab named original Desert magazine at the top....

Thx
    John

Looking through the old issues of Desert Magazine gives me the painful nostalgia induced by Don's photos of how things used to be. It's hard to believe some ghost towns looked so great back in the early 1970s, and I guess I'm having a hard time accepting that it has been 40 years since then.

I'm not so sure about Providence being accessible by "regular car". It was a pretty rough rode when I went out there in November of '09 ("ot-nine").

I'd use Death Valley Jim's writeups as an excellent starting point. He's posted here several times.

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Default crysteenleen777

Thread Information