Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldfield NV & Goldfield Hotel

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Goldfield NV & Goldfield Hotel

Originally posted by Steve Bruce

: There was big auction in Goldfield NV this weekend of 180 town parcels (back taxes) but the Hotel did not sell for the $426,000 ask (surprise, surprise).

: For those interested in Goldfield and especially the Hotel I am working on an initiative to get the DOI interested in this as an acquisition prospect, similar to the deal made with the DOI for the old Rhyolite train depot. If you are interested in supporting this effort then please contact me at my email address.

: Also please check out the Goldfield Spectacular PREVIEW on my website:

: http://sites.netscape.net/sbrucesteve/index.html

: Thanks and happy summer ghosttowning!

: - Steve Bruce

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Goldfield NV & Goldfield Hotel

Originally posted by Lynda

: I have to say those were very nice pictures of the

: hotel.My pictures I tried to take last summer of

: the interior did not come out. I tried to e-mail

: you but my message was returned. What is your

: e-mail address. I tried to contact the person at

: the e-mail tacked to the fence at the hotel but I

: got no response.

: : For those interested in Goldfield and especially the Hotel I am working on an initiative to get the DOI interested in this as an acquisition prospect, similar to the deal made with the DOI for the old Rhyolite train depot. If you are interested in supporting this effort then please contact me at my email address.

: : Also please check out the Goldfield Spectacular PREVIEW on my website:

: : http://sites.netscape.net/sbrucesteve/index.html

: : Thanks and happy summer ghosttowning!

: : - Steve Bruce

Default Goldfield Hotel spittoon

Originally posted by Ken Stone

: I purchased at a yard sale a large brass spittoon with the emblym "Goldfield Hotel, Goldfield Nevada". It polished up great and was brass with the top of the round bottom in what looks like copper. It is quite large and sets itself back up if kicked over. Do you have any interest in knowing more and are there others that you know about?

Default Re: Goldfield NV & Goldfield Hotel

Originally posted by PBallou

: Great pictures!

Default Re: Goldfield Hotel spittoon

Originally posted by Robert Sweede

: : I purchased at a yard sale a large brass spittoon with the emblym "Goldfield Hotel, Goldfield Nevada". It polished up great and was brass with the top of the round bottom in what looks like copper. It is quite large and sets itself back up if kicked over. Do you have any interest in knowing more and are there others that you know about?

Originally posted by Robert Sweede

: I also have the same spittoon you described,with the same emblem. I got it at an auction. I was wondering how old it realy is?

Originally posted by doug

: : I purchased at a yard sale a large brass spittoon with the emblym "Goldfield Hotel, Goldfield Nevada". It polished up great and was brass with the top of the round bottom in what looks like copper. It is quite large and sets itself back up if kicked over. Do you have any interest in knowing more and are there others that you know about?a friend of mine just got one a few weeks ago and we were trying to find all the information on it and what the possible value of it might be any help in researching this would be great.

Originally posted by Steve Bruce

: : I purchased at a yard sale a large brass spittoon with the emblym "Goldfield Hotel, Goldfield Nevada". It polished up great and was brass with the top of the round bottom in what looks like copper. It is quite large and sets itself back up if kicked over. Do you have any interest in knowing more and are there others that you know about?

: Hi I have one of these in my house that I bought off of ebay - I have seen at least thirty of these on ebay over the years. There was a lady named Shirley Porter that lived in the hotel during the 1980's and I believe these spitoons were produced for her (along with other brass items) by a firm named Harlan Buck, from the late 1970's onward. This is what I have heard but I do not know it for a fact - in Porter's book she is very coy about her "product" which is never specifically described in any detail.

: Allegedly Porter and others soldered these hotel badges on to many of the HB brass items including bedwarmers, kettles and lanterns, thus labelling them as being from the hotel -- which is of course fiction.

: Porter then sold these from the hotel in an effort to raise money to have the hotel renovated; all of this was unsuccessful and Porter's only legacy seems to be a plethora of brass items that had nothing to do with the hotel and appearing on ebay, and the brass badges are still on sale to this day in an antiques shop in the town.

: Meanwhile for anyone that wants to get hold of me my address is on the web page or you can email me at: sbruce@lycos.com

: THANKS

: steve

Originally posted by Wayne Taylor

: We have also recently purchased the same spitton with the same description as yours. Just for your information we don't know anything about this.

Originally posted by Donna

: I too recently purchased a spittoon from the Goldfield Hotel, just like the one you described. I am trying to find out when the hotel was established so that I may determine how old the spittoon might be.

Thread Information