I solved a 30-year old mystery (at least to me) a few days ago! I've been going out to Chiva Falls in Redington Pass ever since I came to Tucson in the early 1980s. Actually, the Chiva Falls trail was the first 4WD trail I ever went on (in my 1977 Jeep CJ5). About a 1/2 mile from Chiva Falls are some old adobe ruins. When I first went there, they were about 4 feet tall, now there isn't much left. The FS designated this is a restoration area about 10 years ago. What I was originally told was that this cabin was part of an old mail route to Tucson. It's a prevalent rumor around Tucson, but I could never verify it. I talked to the FS after they designated it a restoration area and they did not know what it was (maybe I talked with the wrong people).

A few weeks ago I was looking at a 1904 Topo map of the Tucson area and noticed a place called Sheep Camp that appeared to be in the correct area of the adobe ruins. After some calibration of the map, I was able to find the GPS coordinated of Sheep Camp and they matched the location of the ruins! Wow. It wasn't a mail station after all. Here are some current pictures (from this month) and an image of the topo map. I hope to find some of the old pictures I have of the place from the 1980s and post them.
Name:  chivafalls13_700.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  50.7 KB
The crumbling walls of Sheep Camp

Name:  sheepcamp.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  77.3 KB
1904 Topo Map

Here's some more information on the trail itself (and another find I made this month there):
http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...hivafalls.html