Thread: Mystery Solved: Sheep Camp, Arizona

Default Mystery Solved: Sheep Camp, Arizona

I solved a 30-year old mystery (at least to me) a few days ago! I've been going out to Chiva Falls in Redington Pass ever since I came to Tucson in the early 1980s. Actually, the Chiva Falls trail was the first 4WD trail I ever went on (in my 1977 Jeep CJ5). About a 1/2 mile from Chiva Falls are some old adobe ruins. When I first went there, they were about 4 feet tall, now there isn't much left. The FS designated this is a restoration area about 10 years ago. What I was originally told was that this cabin was part of an old mail route to Tucson. It's a prevalent rumor around Tucson, but I could never verify it. I talked to the FS after they designated it a restoration area and they did not know what it was (maybe I talked with the wrong people).

A few weeks ago I was looking at a 1904 Topo map of the Tucson area and noticed a place called Sheep Camp that appeared to be in the correct area of the adobe ruins. After some calibration of the map, I was able to find the GPS coordinated of Sheep Camp and they matched the location of the ruins! Wow. It wasn't a mail station after all. Here are some current pictures (from this month) and an image of the topo map. I hope to find some of the old pictures I have of the place from the 1980s and post them.
    Name:  chivafalls13_700.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  50.7 KB
    The crumbling walls of Sheep Camp

Name:  sheepcamp.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  77.3 KB
    1904 Topo Map

Here's some more information on the trail itself (and another find I made this month there):
    http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...hivafalls.html
    "Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Great job at solving the puzzle. The three times I have been to the falls, I never noticed, or I just don't remember the ruins.

I am wondering if you would come over to Cochise County? There are two camps in the Huachucas I'd like to explore. The road is just bad enough to warrant something other than my 2 wheel drive. It is in a highly scenic portion above the Canelo area. For that matter if anyone from this site would like to meet and explore these camps, I'd sure be interested in tagging along.
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
    Great job at solving the puzzle. The three times I have been to the falls, I never noticed, or I just don't remember the ruins.

I am wondering if you would come over to Cochise County? There are two camps in the Huachucas I'd like to explore. The road is just bad enough to warrant something other than my 2 wheel drive. It is in a highly scenic portion above the Canelo area. For that matter if anyone from this site would like to meet and explore these camps, I'd sure be interested in tagging along.
    Sunrise,

Twenty years ago, you may have noticed the ruins (a short road went straight to them) as they were a lot higher than they are today (I'm thinking about 4 feet tall). Now, after the restoration, fence, etc. and all of the weathering, you have to really search for them. If you didn't know they were there, you'd pass them right by. I knew where they were and it still took me a while to find them in the thick brush. You can just see them in Google Earth. You can readily see the corral and stone well in Google Earth.

I'd love to come down there to see the two camps. Will PM you on this.
    "Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nicely done. I love it when a plan comes together. It's always fun to find an old ruin but really satisfying when the true origin is found out.

I think the old mail route was a little north of I-10, (the Butterfield line).

Years ago I found several stone walls enclosing about 40'X40' areas in the Tortalita's. Wondered for years what they were. Then I read that they were goat pens from the 1890's.

Let us know what you & Sunrise come up with.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thread Information