Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here knowledgeable about Texas?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Anyone here knowledgeable about Texas?

Originally posted by Linda

: I saw someone ask about Texas a while back to no response but I thought I would give it another shot.

: I've been searching for ghost towns in East Texas which is almost pointless but recently we moved to Dallas and I'm eager to start checking out the west now. Is there anyone here who has been in that area or has heard anything and can give me a few pointers? I'd be VERY grateful.

: I love the website by the way. My appreciation to those who work on it.

: Linda

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Anyone here knowledgeable about Texas?

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : I saw someone ask about Texas a while back to no response but I thought I would give it another shot.

: : I've been searching for ghost towns in East Texas which is almost pointless but recently we moved to Dallas and I'm eager to start checking out the west now. Is there anyone here who has been in that area or has heard anything and can give me a few pointers? I'd be VERY grateful.

: : I love the website by the way. My appreciation to those who work on it.

: : Linda

: Hiya Linda.

: There was a question about Texas not too long ago, don't know if that's the one you are referring to.

: I suggested then the same thing I'll suggest to you. Scroll up to the top of any page here at this website, and click on the "United States" banner, to the left of the Canada banner. When the list of states appear, scroll down to Texas. Dallas/Ft Worth are in grid 3, and it looks as if there several in that grid. But there may be some in the surrounding grids, that are closer to your area. Usually, the person that submitted the town will indicate what remains of the town, if anything. Click on a few places that have been submitted, to see if there is anything left worth travelling to. If you've already done all that, I guess you can wait and see if any "high plains drifters" have any better info.

: bad bob.

Default I did check!

: I checked here and elsewhere, and I've found some great sites with fort ruins that I intend to visit later this year but finding worthwhile townsites is difficult. I'll keep checking back and keep digging in the 'Net too. Thanks for the suggestions!

: Linda

Default TEXAS INFO

Originally posted by JERSEY STEVE

: :

: : : I saw someone ask about Texas a while back to no response but I thought I would give it another shot.

: : : I've been searching for ghost towns in East Texas which is almost pointless but recently we moved to Dallas and I'm eager to start checking out the west now. Is there anyone here who has been in that area or has heard anything and can give me a few pointers? I'd be VERY grateful.

: : : I love the website by the way. My appreciation to those who work on it.

: : : Linda

: : Hiya Linda.

: : There was a question about Texas not too long ago, don't know if that's the one you are referring to.

: : I suggested then the same thing I'll suggest to you. Scroll up to the top of any page here at this website, and click on the "United States" banner, to the left of the Canada banner. When the list of states appear, scroll down to Texas. Dallas/Ft Worth are in grid 3, and it looks as if there several in that grid. But there may be some in the surrounding grids, that are closer to your area. Usually, the person that submitted the town will indicate what remains of the town, if anything. Click on a few places that have been submitted, to see if there is anything left worth travelling to. If you've already done all that, I guess you can wait and see if any "high plains drifters" have any better info.

: : bad bob.

: TRY THE BOOK "GHOST TOWNS OF TEXAS" BY T. LINDSAY BAKER. IT LISTS GHOST TOWNS BY REGION. IT IS PUBLISHED BY UNIVERCITY OF OKLAHOMA PRESS. WHILE NOT A TRUE "GHOST TOWN" TRY JEFFERSON TEXAS ABOUT 3 1/2 HOURS EAST OF DALLAS. CIVIL WAR ERA TOWN FILLED WITH PERIOD BUILDINGS. LOTS OF ATMOSPHERE. WORTH THE TIME TO TRAVEL THERE.

Default Re: Anyone here knowledgeable about Texas?

Originally posted by Clayton

: :

: : : I saw someone ask about Texas a while back to no response but I thought I would give it another shot.

: : : I've been searching for ghost towns in East Texas which is almost pointless but recently we moved to Dallas and I'm eager to start checking out the west now. Is there anyone here who has been in that area or has heard anything and can give me a few pointers? I'd be VERY grateful.

: : : I love the website by the way. My appreciation to those who work on it.

: : : Linda

: : Hiya Linda.

: : There was a question about Texas not too long ago, don't know if that's the one you are referring to.

: : I suggested then the same thing I'll suggest to you. Scroll up to the top of any page here at this website, and click on the "United States" banner, to the left of the Canada banner. When the list of states appear, scroll down to Texas. Dallas/Ft Worth are in grid 3, and it looks as if there several in that grid. But there may be some in the surrounding grids, that are closer to your area. Usually, the person that submitted the town will indicate what remains of the town, if anything. Click on a few places that have been submitted, to see if there is anything left worth travelling to. If you've already done all that, I guess you can wait and see if any "high plains drifters" have any better info.

: : bad bob.

: I lived in Texas for many years. a good place to start is with a book named the backroads of texas.

: there are several ghosttowns and semi ghost towns listed there. If you e mail i can look several up when i am at home and email you back

Default Thanks for the idea

:

: : I lived in Texas for many years. a good place to start is with a book named the backroads of texas.

: : there are several ghosttowns and semi ghost towns listed there. If you e mail i can look several up when i am at home and email you back

: I have the book but never thought to use it for ghost towns. Now, if we ever have weather under 100, I'll give it a try!

Default Re: TEXAS INFO

Originally posted by Sajith Wickramaratne

: : :

: : : : I saw someone ask about Texas a while back to no response but I thought I would give it another shot.

: : : : I've been searching for ghost towns in East Texas which is almost pointless but recently we moved to Dallas and I'm eager to start checking out the west now. Is there anyone here who has been in that area or has heard anything and can give me a few pointers? I'd be VERY grateful.

: : : : I love the website by the way. My appreciation to those who work on it.

: : : : Linda

: : : Hiya Linda.

: : : There was a question about Texas not too long ago, don't know if that's the one you are referring to.

: : : I suggested then the same thing I'll suggest to you. Scroll up to the top of any page here at this website, and click on the "United States" banner, to the left of the Canada banner. When the list of states appear, scroll down to Texas. Dallas/Ft Worth are in grid 3, and it looks as if there several in that grid. But there may be some in the surrounding grids, that are closer to your area. Usually, the person that submitted the town will indicate what remains of the town, if anything. Click on a few places that have been submitted, to see if there is anything left worth travelling to. If you've already done all that, I guess you can wait and see if any "high plains drifters" have any better info.

: : : bad bob.

: : TRY THE BOOK "GHOST TOWNS OF TEXAS" BY T. LINDSAY BAKER. IT LISTS GHOST TOWNS BY REGION. IT IS PUBLISHED BY UNIVERCITY OF OKLAHOMA PRESS. WHILE NOT A TRUE "GHOST TOWN" TRY JEFFERSON TEXAS ABOUT 3 1/2 HOURS EAST OF DALLAS. CIVIL WAR ERA TOWN FILLED WITH PERIOD BUILDINGS. LOTS OF ATMOSPHERE. WORTH THE TIME TO TRAVEL THERE.

Thumbs up

Hi Linda,my name is Chris and I live in N E Texas,about 100 miles NE of Dallas.I have found some wonderful old towns/ghost towns in Lamar,Delta,and Red River counties.So full of history and some very exciting.Would be happy to share what I have.Chris

Default Texas

Linda,
    It looks to me like you left the happy hunting grounds. I have lived in Texas all my life. When I go out for adventure in the field I drive all day out to New Mexico. Most anywhere you go in Texas you will be trespassing. I realize that BLM and state lands have so many restrictions on them as to render them "no fun" but at least being there is legal...sometimes.
    Max

Try a Google search for a writer named Bob Bowman. He has written several articles on East Texas towns of the past. Very good reading.

Thread Information