Thread: Lesser Known Indian Ruins in Arizona

Default Lesser Known Indian Ruins in Arizona

When I hear the words, ghost town, I immediately think of old wooden or adobe buildings built in the 1800's. But there are much older ghost towns around: ancient Indian ruins. I recently found a website that lists many of the lesser known Indian ruins in Arizona. Most of these are quite difficult to get to, which is the reason they aren't well know. But also the reason they are in such good shape. And a reason for high adventure! I am putting these on my bucket list.

Arizona Ruins in Arizona: http://www.arizonaruins.com/

More information (and upcoming adventures) can be found at: http://experience-az.com/About/arizo...ofarizona.html

This image is from the Turkey Creek ruins I visited during my Rug Road adventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Very nice find. I like the old Indian ruins too. The more obscure the better. I was exploring along the Arivipa canyon back in '74. I'd just got out of the Army & with my brother went on a stoned weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Matt,

Great picture of the ruin! I was happy to see on your site that you won't divulge the locations of ruins. I generally don't mind sharing info on neat sites but I'm hesitant to do that with prehistoric ruins. I've seen too many of them absolutely trashed. Singuain pithouses are extremely common east of Flagstaff but nearly all I've come across have been dug in. I've seen many of them with two-stroke oil containers thrown in them by woodcutters. It is a shame that the FS doesn't have the manpower, or the budget to even allow for the manpower, to better monitor these sites. Folks can find a surprising amount of accurate location information for ruins if they do a bit of research. I'll locate and scan a picture of a ruin I came across about 15 years ago down on the rim SE of Williams. It was in pretty nice shape. The thumbprints of the builders were still visible in the mortar.

Joe

Nice, and good idea on keeping their locations secret, but that is getting harder and harder to do with the latest technology. Location, location, location seems to be the biggest factor when dealing with the vandals. I will never understand why the vandals do what they do, but I guess that is what separates them from us.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Thread Information