Thread: Ghost Town Radio Stations

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Ghost Town Radio Stations

Originally posted by John Pinckney

: Has anyone ever heard of a ghost town having had a radio station during its existence? I ask this as there have been more than a few "modern" ghost towns that have been abandoned since the advent of AM radio in the 1920's. I thought about this in thinking back to my visit to Bodie last year, when I listened to KCBS while driving from Bodie back to U.S. 395, and hearing KFRC (both of these stations being in San Francisco) at night while in my motel room in Bridgeport. I also thought about this in light of my chat about Ham Radio with Louie at the Ballarat General Store. Along the same line, has anyone heard of any Amateur (Ham) Radio operators having lived in and operated from what is today a ghost town? I now feel sorry that my first trips to Bodie & Ballarat, and my second to Rhyolite & Bullfrog were my first trips west without taking any Ham Radio equipment. (It would've been interesting using my 50 watt 2-Meter FM mobile rig up at Bodie's 8,715' altitude!)

: I guess it would be too much to even think of a ghost town having once had a TV station (or even a transmitter site) or possibly a TV Translator! A number of years ago, a buddy of mine and I went up Wopsonnock (probably mis-spelled) Peak near Altoona to work on the transmitter of an FM station he co-owned. While we were up there, we passed the then-abandoned transmitter site of the defunct (and later revived) WOPC-TV, channel 38. While the windows were boarded up, the door to the place was wide open! Although we didn't even think of going onto the property (let alone going in!) we did get close enough to see inside part of the building. While the transmitter and some other equipment was still intact, it was obvious that some had been removed. The only thing still definitely operating were the tower lights.

: By the way, let's also include "ghost radio (or TV) stations (studio or transmitter sites). And, it wouldn't necessairly be confined to the Western states, either! About 15 years ago, a couple of my colleauges stumbled upon a multi-tower directional transmitter site for an AM station out on the DelMarVa penninsula. From looking at the height of the towers, they judged the station as having been in the middle of the AM band, but there was nothing on-site or on record as to who may have used the place.

: Thanks for your interest!

: John Pinckney

: longleaf@pop.erols.com

: (also WD4EBY)

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Ghost Town Radio Stations

Originally posted by Butcher

: : Has anyone ever heard of a ghost town having had a radio station during its existence? I ask this as there have been more than a few "modern" ghost towns that have been abandoned since the advent of AM radio in the 1920's. I thought about this in thinking back to my visit to Bodie last year, when I listened to KCBS while driving from Bodie back to U.S. 395, and hearing KFRC (both of these stations being in San Francisco) at night while in my motel room in Bridgeport. I also thought about this in light of my chat about Ham Radio with Louie at the Ballarat General Store. Along the same line, has anyone heard of any Amateur (Ham) Radio operators having lived in and operated from what is today a ghost town? I now feel sorry that my first trips to Bodie & Ballarat, and my second to Rhyolite & Bullfrog were my first trips west without taking any Ham Radio equipment. (It would've been interesting using my 50 watt 2-Meter FM mobile rig up at Bodie's 8,715' altitude!)

: : I guess it would be too much to even think of a ghost town having once had a TV station (or even a transmitter site) or possibly a TV Translator! A number of years ago, a buddy of mine and I went up Wopsonnock (probably mis-spelled) Peak near Altoona to work on the transmitter of an FM station he co-owned. While we were up there, we passed the then-abandoned transmitter site of the defunct (and later revived) WOPC-TV, channel 38. While the windows were boarded up, the door to the place was wide open! Although we didn't even think of going onto the property (let alone going in!) we did get close enough to see inside part of the building. While the transmitter and some other equipment was still intact, it was obvious that some had been removed. The only thing still definitely operating were the tower lights.

: : By the way, let's also include "ghost radio (or TV) stations (studio or transmitter sites). And, it wouldn't necessairly be confined to the Western states, either! About 15 years ago, a couple of my colleauges stumbled upon a multi-tower directional transmitter site for an AM station out on the DelMarVa penninsula. From looking at the height of the towers, they judged the station as having been in the middle of the AM band, but there was nothing on-site or on record as to who may have used the place.

: : Thanks for your interest!

: : John Pinckney

: : longleaf@pop.erols.com

: : (also WD4EBY)

:

: There sure is John Evans In Cherry Creek, Nevada operates Ham. I don't have his call numbers but iof you e-mail I can give you his phone number# I'm really surprised that Ghosttown.com here doesn't have any mention of Cherry Creek seeing how it surpasses about 80% of the ones that are mention here in being a preserved Ghost town. If you ever get up in the northeastern part of Nevada you otta stop by and say Hi to ole John he owns the Cherry Creek Saloon there in town and be preparedto step back in history about 100 yrs LOL

: Really is a neat little town !!

: Butcher

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Being that Bodie still had a small population until WW2, it is likely that Bodie folks listened to whatever signal they could get, likely at night.

: The ghost town of Tokop, NV, near Gold Point, is situated on top a minor peak which has a communications site. There are wooden cabins sitauted within a couple hundred yards of a dozen or so steel communications towers.

Originally posted by John Pinckney

: TNX for the info. It would be interesting to see what AM radio stations are audible in Bodie, particularly at night in winter. This would be expecially interesting given Bodie's altitude! Although the frequencies at AM aren't as altitude-sensitive for local coverage as those at FM or TV, I've noticed some bizarre phenomena even at altitudes as 600' AMSL. As an example, at my farm is S.C., my shortwave coverage on the Ham Radio 20 & 15 meter bands doesn't hit any further west than Germany, while the lower bands do yield the U.K, Ireland, and such.

: One thing I doubt Bodie would have is the electrical interference (except possibly from fences???) that plauge those of us in the cities.

Originally posted by Pubah

: Interesting concept. I haven't thought of investigating the idea of radio or TV stations being located in some of the more modern ghosttowns. A few here in Utah that may have had stations are:

: Lark - a mining town near the Bingham Copper Mine that was shut down in the 1970's by Kennecott Copper Corp. had several hundered people

: Soldier Summit - On U.S. 40 on the road to Price. It had a population of over a thousand in the 1930's at the hieght of the Locomotive era (it was a railroad town)

: Castle Gate - a coal Mining town in Carbon Co. on U.S. 40 near Helper. Had a large population up until the 1870's when the coal mines moved everyone out and tore down the town

: Little Valley - in Box Elder County on the Promontory Peninsula. Little Valley was a Constuction town that was built in the 1950's for the constuction of the Lucin Cutoff railway causeway. The town had a boat harbor on the Great Salt Lake, a supermarket and other amentities. Maybe a radio station?

: I am sure there may be others.

: : Has anyone ever heard of a ghost town having had a radio station during its existence? I ask this as there have been more than a few "modern" ghost towns that have been abandoned since the advent of AM radio in the 1920's. I thought about this in thinking back to my visit to Bodie last year, when I listened to KCBS while driving from Bodie back to U.S. 395, and hearing KFRC (both of these stations being in San Francisco) at night while in my motel room in Bridgeport. I also thought about this in light of my chat about Ham Radio with Louie at the Ballarat General Store. Along the same line, has anyone heard of any Amateur (Ham) Radio operators having lived in and operated from what is today a ghost town? I now feel sorry that my first trips to Bodie & Ballarat, and my second to Rhyolite & Bullfrog were my first trips west without taking any Ham Radio equipment. (It would've been interesting using my 50 watt 2-Meter FM mobile rig up at Bodie's 8,715' altitude!)

: : I guess it would be too much to even think of a ghost town having once had a TV station (or even a transmitter site) or possibly a TV Translator! A number of years ago, a buddy of mine and I went up Wopsonnock (probably mis-spelled) Peak near Altoona to work on the transmitter of an FM station he co-owned. While we were up there, we passed the then-abandoned transmitter site of the defunct (and later revived) WOPC-TV, channel 38. While the windows were boarded up, the door to the place was wide open! Although we didn't even think of going onto the property (let alone going in!) we did get close enough to see inside part of the building. While the transmitter and some other equipment was still intact, it was obvious that some had been removed. The only thing still definitely operating were the tower lights.

: : By the way, let's also include "ghost radio (or TV) stations (studio or transmitter sites). And, it wouldn't necessairly be confined to the Western states, either! About 15 years ago, a couple of my colleauges stumbled upon a multi-tower directional transmitter site for an AM station out on the DelMarVa penninsula. From looking at the height of the towers, they judged the station as having been in the middle of the AM band, but there was nothing on-site or on record as to who may have used the place.

: : Thanks for your interest!

: : John Pinckney

: : longleaf@pop.erols.com

: : (also WD4EBY)

Thread Information