Thread: Montana & Idaho Ghost Towns

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Montana & Idaho Ghost Towns

Originally posted by Dave Hoffman

: My brother, Tim, and just got back from a trip to Montana and Idaho. Our purpose was to visit several
    : interesting ghost towns that we had read or heard about. We have been fascinated by ghost towns for years. In Montana we visited Pardee, Granite, Wickes, Southern Cross, Marysville, Blackfoot City and in Idaho we visited Custer, Bonanza & Bay Horse. The weather was great warm to hot during the day and cool at night. We camped at some of the sites. We got some excellent photos and enjoyed tramping about.

: A couple of questions: it appears that much of Bay Horse is in private hands, what are the plans there? In Granite we searched for a bank vault like the one illustrated in one of our ghost town books but didn't find one that looked like the photo. Is there a vault there or has it been removed? Also at Granite there appeared to be some new informational signs up, are there more things planned for Granite? Granite is one of my favorites.The location is so scenic and it's so hard to imagine that so many people once lived there and so little is left.

: Anyway it was a great trip and we hope to do it again next year.

: Dave

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Montana & Idaho Ghost Towns

Originally posted by Connie Ness

: : My brother, Tim, and just got back from a trip to Montana and Idaho. Our purpose was to visit several
    : : interesting ghost towns that we had read or heard about. We have been fascinated by ghost towns for years. In Montana we visited Pardee, Granite, Wickes, Southern Cross, Marysville, Blackfoot City and in Idaho we visited Custer, Bonanza & Bay Horse. The weather was great warm to hot during the day and cool at night. We camped at some of the sites. We got some excellent photos and enjoyed tramping about.

: : A couple of questions: it appears that much of Bay Horse is in private hands, what are the plans there? In Granite we searched for a bank vault like the one illustrated in one of our ghost town books but didn't find one that looked like the photo. Is there a vault there or has it been removed? Also at Granite there appeared to be some new informational signs up, are there more things planned for Granite? Granite is one of my favorites.The location is so scenic and it's so hard to imagine that so many people once lived there and so little is left.

: : Anyway it was a great trip and we hope to do it again next year.

: : Dave

: : My brother, Tim, and just got back from a trip to Montana and Idaho. Our purpose was to visit several
    : : interesting ghost towns that we had read or heard about. We have been fascinated by ghost towns for years. In Montana we visited Pardee, Granite, Wickes, Southern Cross, Marysville, Blackfoot City and in Idaho we visited Custer, Bonanza & Bay Horse. The weather was great warm to hot during the day and cool at night. We camped at some of the sites. We got some excellent photos and enjoyed tramping about.

: : A couple of questions: it appears that much of Bay Horse is in private hands, what are the plans there? In Granite we searched for a bank vault like the one illustrated in one of our ghost town books but didn't find one that looked like the photo. Is there a vault there or has it been removed? Also at Granite there appeared to be some new informational signs up, are there more things planned for Granite? Granite is one of my favorites.The location is so scenic and it's so hard to imagine that so many people once lived there and so little is left.

: What information do you have about Blackfoot City? We were there in Oct. of '98, and I found just a few buildings left. The water/electricty wheel was of great interest. I have several books and cannot find any info.

Default Re:Dolores Steele Sliver City, ID Ghost Towns

Originally posted by Francie

: I am a student from West Canyon Elementary. My name is Francie. I am doing a project on Silver City and I would like to contact Dolores Steele about using her pictures on my project on Silver City, Idaho. I liked the sights on the Ghost Town on the Internet I looked up.

the last i knew,,the vault was still there..don't know they would remove it,,,it was pretty good sized..
    i hope you was in the right place..

I just joined today and found this post. I am an expert Montana historian and I would very happy to help anyone with info, dates, family surnames, history or whatever regarding any ghost towns in Montana. I live in Helena which was once known as Last Chance Gulch and was the richest city per capita in the world in the 1890's. There is a lot of great history and hidden ghost towns in Montana. I think I've likely been to all of them and the things I've found are incredible! Anyway, just want to let everyone know I'll be happy to help and answer any questions or give directions to any of the great Montana ghost towns! Blackfoot City was a huge town at one time and now there is not much left. Just a big green meadow but it's full of cabin sites and you can see where the streets once were. I have dug bottles there before when I was younger. Great place with tons of history!

bayhorse is open to the public now..for a small fee you can tour the town..we were just at Granite & the vault was still there..I have tons of ghost town pics on my flickr site..most are in Montana and Idaho...with more to come ! not sure if this will get you there ..if not look up Patty Pickett
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMountainMan View Post
    I just joined today and found this post. I am an expert Montana historian and I would very happy to help anyone with info, dates, family surnames, history or whatever regarding any ghost towns in Montana. I live in Helena which was once known as Last Chance Gulch and was the richest city per capita in the world in the 1890's. There is a lot of great history and hidden ghost towns in Montana. I think I've likely been to all of them and the things I've found are incredible! Anyway, just want to let everyone know I'll be happy to help and answer any questions or give directions to any of the great Montana ghost towns! Blackfoot City was a huge town at one time and now there is not much left. Just a big green meadow but it's full of cabin sites and you can see where the streets once were. I have dug bottles there before when I was younger. Great place with tons of history!
    Montana Mountain Man,

My husband and I got into ghost-town hunting last year and have visited 43 so far i believe. I would love to touch base with you and maybe pick your brain a little for some information. We live in Great Falls. Thanks so much!!

Thread Information