Thread: Michigan ghost towns

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Michigan ghost towns

Originally posted by Tony Van

: Help! I'm a metal detectorist (just this year), and have always enjoyed reading about the history of Michigan. I need info. re: ghost towns in Clare County,MI. I have read of some interesting ghosttowns there, that potentially would be worth exploring! So, if anyone could offer me info (location etc.), or if there's anyone with the same interest please e-mail me when you can. Thanks.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Michigan ghost towns

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Help! I'm a metal detectorist (just this year), and have always enjoyed reading about the history of Michigan. I need info. re: ghost towns in Clare County,MI. I have read of some interesting ghosttowns there, that potentially would be worth exploring! So, if anyone could offer me info (location etc.), or if there's anyone with the same interest please e-mail me when you can. Thanks.

: There are 46 ghost towns listed on the MI page at this web site. Some of those are in the U.P.

: bb.

Default Re: Michigan ghost towns

Originally posted by Tom Kamrowski

: I'm a metal detectorist too, Bob. Look for a book entitled "Michigan Ghost Towns of the Lower Peninsula" by the late Roy L. Dodge. This book is a combination of two volumes that he wrote in the early 70's. They are still being published by Glendon Publishing, PO Box 80807, Las Vegas, NV 89180-0807. The ISBN is 0-932212-64-6. There are several listings for Clare County. As the info in the books is a bit dated, I am currently engaged in efforts to visit all of his listed townsites, conduct more research, take more pictures, and publish and updated companion set to his original series of books.

Talking companion book progress?

I just picked up that book this Summer. How is the project coming?

And to digress for a moment, while I sure appreciate Glendon making the books available again, I wish that they (and other publishers) would specify (on the title page!) that it's a new version and when it was republished. Glendon makes it clear, on the cover and p. 191, that it is a reissue but many reprinters do not, and I'd like to know when this version dates from in any case.

Thread Information