Thread: Ward, Colorado (travel warning)

Exclamation Ward, Colorado (travel warning)

I recently took a trip to Ward in Boulder County (Colorado) to take some pictures. It's an interesting place with a lot of history.

This town had nearly died out by the mid 1960s. But then it enjoyed a renewal of sorts as a large hippie population settled there. A few were still around as recently as early 2005. But not anymore. Apparently, meth labs have been clustered all around the town and over the years they've drawn a bunch of rough people to the area. It isn't safe for anybody going it alone!

Read travel warning here. http://diddleysquat.newsvine.com/_ne...amusement-park

But Ward is still the site of a lot of very interesting and unique things, like the old Texaco gas pump I found a block off the main street, I did some research on the internet and it's very hard to date these things but my guess is that it is from 1921-1925. Could be a little older. But similar pumps show up in photos dated in those years.

Name:  20120918_WARD_Texaco_sm.jpg
Views: 4074
Size:  81.3 KB

Looks like a great place to explore, and excellent photos on the site you linked too. Thanks for sharing.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Thank you very much.

I do hope to get back to Ward next year, but I won't be going alone!

I spent some time online trying to learn something about that gas pump. I thought it was probably made before 1910. It looks ancient. But what I found was that this is a special type of pump that didn't appear until around 1920. The mesh enclosure at the top held a clear container so that the customer could actually see the gas pumped into it and then drained into the tank. Those were called "visible" pumps and weren't in use until 1920 (according to one source).

But here's what's interesting. That pump in the photo sits right off the main street through Ward, and it is actually worth a small fortune!

Interesting article, thanks!

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I enjoy your research and photos. Your enthusiam shines through and that is pretty cool.

I do want to gently urge caution though on one thing...I think it's bad to point out that something might be valuable in a ghost town.
    The artifacts still available to see in a ghost town are half of what makes the visit interesting and worthwhile.

Most of us respect and love history, but there are always those jerks out there that just see dollar signs, and wouldn't hesitate to go hack-saw that pump off its foundation and try to sell it.

There's a horrible ethical dilema for us: we want to show the world the cool things in ghost towns (with our pictures), and we want to protect them too.
    I've found that a good (not perfect) solution is to take pictures of the towns in general, and also to take seperate pictures of the "cool items".

In the pictures of the individual items, I frame the photo so you can't tell (from the background) where the photograph was taken.
    I then have a seperate picture gallery of the "cool things" at ghost towns, but my viewers can't tell where they are located, or when I took the picture.

You were kind of doing this by artisically bluring the background of the photo. I think you're on the right track...you can either remove the pump from the picture entirely with a blank background, or blur it even more so you can't tell the exact location.

Yeah, I have to agree when mentioning anything about the value of things you see at ghost towns, especially with those new shows on tv where they go to "abandoned" places and loot them of anything valuable.

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

More of Ward for those interested. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/ward_colorado.htm
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Default Nice find

Interesting little ghost town. Thanks for the pictures and article!

Excellent photos Mike, thanks for the link.

You are welcome and THANKS !
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Thread Information