Thread: Silverbell Arizona in the 1950s

Talking Silverbell Arizona in the 1950s

As a small boy I lived in Silverbell where my dad worked on heavy equipment for Isbell Const. His name was Bob Shultz. We lived in the trailer park up there and I went to early school in Marana. I remember traveling on a long dirt road to town called "rattle snake pass". I also recall a group of high school boys that broke into an old mine shack in the desert. They stole some blasting caps and on the way back to the trailer park they exploded. I think one was killed, another blinded, another had amputations. I recall the one that ran into camp blinded sounding the alarm. I think his name was Jack Justice.

Does anyone out there know of any of this I mentioned? My name is Ron Shultz and I want to talk with anyone that may recall anything about these times. Dad and Mom have passed now and I just want to recall some of those early days in our lives. I think we left the area around 56 or so.

I am going down to Tucson on October 18, 2012 looking for anything I can see about Silverbell. I was so very young in those days.

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Sorry I can't be of help tp you, but thanks for the interesting story. Sort of related to your story, some kids shot into a shack in Oro Valley back in the 70's I think. Same sort of results, I think it killed two boys and left a crater on the hillside. Good luck, hope you find what you are seeking!
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Welcome to the site, I look forward to hearing more about your early days in Silverbell.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Hi Ron!

First off, I'd love to go with you and hear stories about how it was back then. I've been to Silver Bell and Sasco numerous times. You talk about the trailer park, did they have trailers back then? I've been there, a fence around it but no signs saying private property, so I went there. It looks like a trailer park with all the roads and the concrete blocks that the homes sat on, but what I found was about 3 houses left standing. Houses not trailers. It looked like a pretty big neighborhood. I really enjoyed just walking around and trying to imagine what it was like back then. I live in Tucson and always enjoy going there. If interested let me know. Thanks!

Clay

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeAz View Post
    Hi Ron!

First off, I'd love to go with you and hear stories about how it was back then. I've been to Silver Bell and Sasco numerous times. You talk about the trailer park, did they have trailers back then? I've been there, a fence around it but no signs saying private property, so I went there. It looks like a trailer park with all the roads and the concrete blocks that the homes sat on, but what I found was about 3 houses left standing. Houses not trailers. It looked like a pretty big neighborhood. I really enjoyed just walking around and trying to imagine what it was like back then. I live in Tucson and always enjoy going there. If interested let me know. Thanks!

Clay
    Hey Brian,
    Please don't post no photo's

Best regards,
    <
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

My dad worked for that mine back in the 1960"s, i was born in 1962. i lived in silverbell, arizona when the mine was running. there were houses out there at that time, not many houses, but a few. i was born in tucson, az. we left silverbell when i was six years old, because my dad had a heartattack and the closest hospital was in tucson, he passed away on the way to the hospital, i remember the desert i n our back yard, and the tarantulas coming into our house. and playing with the horny toads, i miss that .

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Hey Brian,
    Please don't post no photo's

Best regards,
    <
    I don't understand. "Don't post no photo's" So I should post photos? And about the apostrophe?

Confused,

>

Default Houses from Silverbell for sale

I do not remember when the houses were moved from Silverbell, but 7 of them ended up in Tucson on the same piece of property just north of the airport. The buyer must have gotten a good price. The location is over 50 miles away from the original mining community. Two of the houses are currently for sale with asking prices in the low 40's. The listing for the house pictured states that it was built in 1952 and has an area of 858 sq. ft. The estimated mortgage payment would be $147!

Name:  silverbell house.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  57.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I don't understand. "Don't post no photo's" So I should post photos? And about the apostrophe?

Confused,

>
    That makes two of us.

>
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Not much left of old Silverbell. I was out in the Ironwood National Monument and couldn't find any of the remains of the town. I think that the mining company just outside the Monument finally got to it?

Thread Information