Thread: Forest Service Road Closures and MVUMS

Default Forest Service Road Closures and MVUMS

Did you know that the National Forest Service has been and is planning on closing down significant amounts of National Forest roads. This began in 2005, but is just now beginning to take effect. In Arizona, the Coconino National Forest closed over 50% of their roads this year. Other National Forests in Arizona are making moves for similar actions in 2013. Many of the places we like to go explore may now be inaccessibleby vehicle.

Also, the Forest Service is going away from putting up "road closed" signs on the roads they are closing. They have moved to using Motor Vehicle Use Maps or MVUMs. These maps (which are not very details, can be difficult to use and full of mistakes) must now be on your person (or vehicle) at all times while traveling on forest service land (even on open roads). The Forest Service equates the MVUM similar to a hunting license. Large fines and possible jail time can be given for not having MVUMs.

Many areas are getting ready to publish these MVUMs. I have a few pages on my website for information on forest lands in Arizona.

MVUMs in Arizona

Road closures in Arizona

Coronado National Forest (my back yard)

This is just not an Arizona thing. Check with the Forest Service in your state to see what the status is and make your voice heard.

A video on this subject can be viewed at: http://youtu.be/0kUhLMi97dg
    "Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Word around here is that for even a first offense, even a legitimate accidental one, could cost you upward of $5,000. I think it's far past time we disband the Department of the Interior.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

I think you could spend 6 months in jail also.

They were recently discussing all the road closings here in the Sierra Nevada area too. Do you know if there are any organizations fighting this?
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'd imagine Blue Ribbon Coalition is. And everyone that works under/with/through them. http://www.sharetrails.org/

I'm sure you won't hear a peep out of the ACLU or the Sierra Club about anyones rights.
    Last edited by GaryB; 10-29-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

Quote Originally Posted by matt@expaz View Post
    I think you could spend 6 months in jail also.
    For driving on an un marked closed road or sticking the fine book up the nearest USFS employee's butt?

Yes, the Blue Ribbon Coalition is fighting this. And so are numerous local clubs and organizations.
    "Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

Thread Information