Thread: Ballarat General Store

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Ballarat General Store

Originally posted by Cary Nickel

: I saw on EBAY that someone is auctioning off a bunch of shirts from the Ballarat General Store. They are saying the store is now closed? I was there last October (2000) and back in 1998 also. Is the store really closed? That would be a bummer!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Ballarat General Store

Originally posted by Dezdan

: Word is that it is closed...

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Yep, Ballarat General Store is closed. Louie says he's had enough. He's sticking around as caretaker. I hear Birdman's sweatshirts have landed at Panamint Springs Resort. Louie gave me the remainder of the book consignment and I took them to Eastern California Museum in Independence.

Originally posted by John Pinckney

: Pity...

: Louie is a true gentleman of the desert. And, the store was a source of "not to be found elsewhere" books and such on ghost towns.

: I hope Louie can hang on as caretaker. When my wife, daughter (then aged 4), and I visited Ballarat back in June 1999, we received an education about not only Ballarat (and its life and residents), but also the Panamints, and the "gold rush ghosts". I pray Louie stays safe out there. And, as much as he loves books, I hope he writes one about Ballarat and the other desert "ghosts"!

: -JFP

:

: : Yep, Ballarat General Store is closed. Louie says he's had enough. He's sticking around as caretaker. I hear Birdman's sweatshirts have landed at Panamint Springs Resort. Louie gave me the remainder of the book consignment and I took them to Eastern California Museum in Independence.

Default Original General Store Resident

Does anyone rememember the original resident? The store was built in the 60's and a husband and wife lived there.
    Monte and Diane, the small room inside the store had black lights and the prospectors would come to check what they mined.

I can't help with the original proprietor of the Ballarat store. Judging by the dates on the earlier posts, that last exchange took place quite a while in the past.

Louie as of a year ago lives up at the Porter Mine on Porter peak above Pleasant canyon. Since he left in 2001, there has been Ballarat Donna and now Rocky at the store. Rocky lived at Chris Wicht Camp in Surprise Canyon before it burned down. He would probably know who was the original proprietor.

NJ

Name:  2 Ballarat store.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  3 Ballarat Donna.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  4 Ballarat past.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  92.3 KB
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

If anyone has knowledge of the issue below, Rocky would like help. It has been a while, but you never know.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

There is a book on Ballarat history, but don't recall the name. It's not the Pipkin book, BALLARAT 1897-1917: FACTS & FOLKLORE, as that book doesn't cover the later period.

But I bet I've read it in Desert Magazine, so if anyone has high speed Internet, you can go on that website that has all the Desert Magazines online and check in the 1968-1969 period for all the details.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Thread Information