Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graveyard in middle of nowhere

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Graveyard in middle of nowhere

Originally posted by Karen

: I still need info on a graveyard I found in the middle of nowhere. It has 6 headstones surrounded by an iron fence. They are of the Barnes family dating back to the 1800's. Also notes they are a Texas family. One of the graves has a "dead date" noted on it but the others do not. I found this site just riding my quad in the middle of the desert around Tonopah, Arizona. I took pictures, but they never developed. Kind of odd..

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Graveyard in middle of nowhere

Originally posted by John

: The graveyard may have been near an old trail. I saw a documentary on PBS about three months ago about an old trail that ran through Arizona and into California. It was used for many years by people heading into California. They said that scattered all along the trail were the graves of the people who died trying to cross the desert. Maybe the graveyard you ran into was near a old trail.

Originally posted by Jay

: : I still need info on a graveyard I found in the middle of nowhere. It has 6 headstones surrounded by an iron fence. They are of the Barnes family dating back to the 1800's. Also notes they are a Texas family. One of the graves has a "dead date" noted on it but the others do not. I found this site just riding my quad in the middle of the desert around Tonopah, Arizona. I took pictures, but they never developed. Kind of odd..

: Hi, I would like to know more about where this graveyard is located. Can you tell me some more? PLease contact me through my email, jb3794@yahoo.com thanks, Jay

Originally posted by Jay

: : I still need info on a graveyard I found in the middle of nowhere. It has 6 headstones surrounded by an iron fence. They are of the Barnes family dating back to the 1800's. Also notes they are a Texas family. One of the graves has a "dead date" noted on it but the others do not. I found this site just riding my quad in the middle of the desert around Tonopah, Arizona. I took pictures, but they never developed. Kind of odd..

: Hi Karen, Can you tell me some more about the old cemetary and about where you found it? Thanks, Jay

Default Thought for you

My guess is that because of the iron fence (means it was permanent), that you stumbled on a family plot on a family ranch. Most plantations in the East had family plots generally within a quarter mile of the main house. My suggestion is to check County records for the family name and location of their farm or ranch. If you go back, I would look around for a grove of trees, which might clue you in as to where the foundations of the home stood.

The wife and I came across a cemetery kind of out in the middle of nowhere too. It was a few miles East of Rose City MI. We were out 2-tracking in the 'Yota and came across it. THere were a few guys sitting right by it on their quads so we didn't get to investigate. I believe it said "Stittsville Cemetery".

I hope to get back out there and find it again this Summer.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hi Rattler, It's always interesting to read the old inscriptions. There's a lot of useful historical information to be found on them.
    Is this the cemetery you're talking about?

O. I must have the name confused with someplace else then. Maybe the wife will remember. I will also check my Gazeteer but I'm not going outside until I have to to fetch it from the truck! Its too cold out here!

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Stay inside & stay warm! We've been seeing on the news all about your record low temps ...wish we could bottle some Arizona sunshine and send it to you. It's 73 here right now.

I am sure I will hear from my friend in Lake Havasu that originally from MI soon to remeind me why he is there.

I found it at topozone.com It just calls it Rose Cemetery but I am positive it had a funny-sounding name on the sign.

I also found the location of the Damon Cemetery. Damon is another ghosttown not far from there. I have wanted to get back there. I haven't been there in years.

Thread Information