Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: living in a ghost town. how?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default living in a ghost town. how?

Originally posted by bigwind

: can you just go to a ghost town and move in?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: living in a ghost town. how?

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : can you just go to a ghost town and move in?

: I'd love to---did you have one in mind? Jes kidn.

: Yes mostly, unless it's on private property, or owned privately, which then you would need permission from the owner. The only other restriction that I know of, may possibly be if it was a state or national historic park/site, that was controlling population for some reason. Bodie, CA. is a shp, but only park rangers live there, mainly to prevent further vandalism. Columbia, CA. is also a shp, and has a population of about 400.

: bb.

:

Originally posted by Dave Smith

:

: : can you just go to a ghost town and move in?

: I plan on doing just that, my family and i are tired of all the B.S. in life and want to leave "modern" society so we are heading for the hills. either Montana or Alaska. if we cant find a ghost town then we will homestead out in the wilderness. anyone wishing to do so may join us. Dave

:

: :

: : : can you just go to a ghost town and move in?

: : I plan on doing just that, my family and i are tired of all the B.S. in life and want to leave "modern" society so we are heading for the hills. either Montana or Alaska. if we cant find a ghost town then we will homestead out in the wilderness. anyone wishing to do so may join us. Dave

: You dang sure got the right idea. Sorta. There's plenty of ghost towns in those areas to move into, most of them sparsely populated. And if you look hard enough, you can find one or two completely deserted. Strevell, Idaho, near the Utah border, I believe is empty.

: Of course, extreme weather could be a major factor whether homesteading or not. But even more important may be the fact that land owners tend to get a bit snooty with trespassers. Wilderness you say......the only problem is, it's either private property, or BLM. Unless i'm mistaken, permission

: is required regardless. Otherwise, bon voyage.

:

: : :

: : : : can you just go to a ghost town and move in?

: : : I plan on doing just that, my family and i are tired of all the B.S. in life and want to leave "modern" society so we are heading for the hills. either Montana or Alaska. if we cant find a ghost town then we will homestead out in the wilderness. anyone wishing to do so may join us. Dave

: : You dang sure got the right idea. Sorta. There's plenty of ghost towns in those areas to move into, most of them sparsely populated. And if you look hard enough, you can find one or two completely deserted. Strevell, Idaho, near the Utah border, I believe is empty.

: : Of course, extreme weather could be a major factor whether homesteading or not. But even more important may be the fact that land owners tend to get a bit snooty with trespassers. Wilderness you say......the only problem is, it's either private property, or BLM. Unless i'm mistaken, permission

: : is required regardless. Otherwise, bon voyage.

: : bb.

: That is the plan, a completely deserted ghost town whether it is private property or not i don't care, for i believe no one really owns the land any way. as for the BLM they can kiss my a%& my family has been in this country since 1690, before america even existed so i do not recognize their authority over me or anything for that matter.anyways that is the plan for me and my family this summer. Dave

:

: : : :

: : : : : can you just go to a ghost town and move in?

: : : : I plan on doing just that, my family and i are tired of all the B.S. in life and want to leave "modern" society so we are heading for the hills. either Montana or Alaska. if we cant find a ghost town then we will homestead out in the wilderness. anyone wishing to do so may join us. Dave

: : : You dang sure got the right idea. Sorta. There's plenty of ghost towns in those areas to move into, most of them sparsely populated. And if you look hard enough, you can find one or two completely deserted. Strevell, Idaho, near the Utah border, I believe is empty.

: : : Of course, extreme weather could be a major factor whether homesteading or not. But even more important may be the fact that land owners tend to get a bit snooty with trespassers. Wilderness you say......the only problem is, it's either private property, or BLM. Unless i'm mistaken, permission

: : : is required regardless. Otherwise, bon voyage.

: : : bb.

: : That is the plan, a completely deserted ghost town whether it is private property or not i don't care, for i believe no one really owns the land any way. as for the BLM they can kiss my a%& my family has been in this country since 1690, before america even existed so i do not recognize their authority over me or anything for that matter.anyways that is the plan for me and my family this summer. Dave

: I have to admire your tenacity. And it's good to have a plan. But somehow I sense your bitterness is clouding your otherwise clear-thinking. It may even be possible for one person to homestead at a remote location for some time completely undetect- ed. (If no one sees you, you're not there). How-

: ever, homesteading with a family takes your brain- storming to an entirely different level. Your chances have to decrease dramatically, with the need for food, provisions, and shelter, if you don't find a ghosttown you like. What is your plan if you're discovered, shoot it out?

: I believe many of us are tired of the rat race, I know I am. Not that many have the sand to do what you plan to do. I'm not saying it can't be done. But this isn't the 19th century, and having ancestors dating back to 1690 won't mean a thing to a landowner, or a g-man with a rifle.

:

:

: : : : :

: : : : : : can you just go to a ghost town and move in?

: : : : : I plan on doing just that, my family and i are tired of all the B.S. in life and want to leave "modern" society so we are heading for the hills. either Montana or Alaska. if we cant find a ghost town then we will homestead out in the wilderness. anyone wishing to do so may join us. Dave

: : : : You dang sure got the right idea. Sorta. There's plenty of ghost towns in those areas to move into, most of them sparsely populated. And if you look hard enough, you can find one or two completely deserted. Strevell, Idaho, near the Utah border, I believe is empty.

: : : : Of course, extreme weather could be a major factor whether homesteading or not. But even more important may be the fact that land owners tend to get a bit snooty with trespassers. Wilderness you say......the only problem is, it's either private property, or BLM. Unless i'm mistaken, permission

: : : : is required regardless. Otherwise, bon voyage.

: : : : bb.

: : : That is the plan, a completely deserted ghost town whether it is private property or not i don't care, for i believe no one really owns the land any way. as for the BLM they can kiss my a%& my family has been in this country since 1690, before america even existed so i do not recognize their authority over me or anything for that matter.anyways that is the plan for me and my family this summer. Dave

: : I have to admire your tenacity. And it's good to have a plan. But somehow I sense your bitterness is clouding your otherwise clear-thinking. It may even be possible for one person to homestead at a remote location for some time completely undetect- ed. (If no one sees you, you're not there). How-

: : ever, homesteading with a family takes your brain- storming to an entirely different level. Your chances have to decrease dramatically, with the need for food, provisions, and shelter, if you don't find a ghosttown you like. What is your plan if you're discovered, shoot it out?

: : I believe many of us are tired of the rat race, I know I am. Not that many have the sand to do what you plan to do. I'm not saying it can't be done. But this isn't the 19th century, and having ancestors dating back to 1690 won't mean a thing to a landowner, or a g-man with a rifle.

: : bb.

: I don't think it would come to that, but then again is one person or one family worth going after for a trespassing violation? would not look good on the news. anyways, my family leans toward the wilderness in Alaska. the ghosttowns that are known and worth going to will NEVER be deserted.as for food and supplies just becouse you live in the wilderness does'nt mean you have to live like a animal! we already have a generator and enouph canned vegies to last 7 months, we plan to grow our own food and hunt moose and any other game we fancy so we will live a "normal" life we have a computor for the childrens education so they will not be un-educated, in short we have planned pretty good for this and i am confident we will overcome any obstical the wilderness may throw our way. Dave

:

: : : : :

: : : : : :

: : : : : : : can you just go to a ghost town and move in?

: : : : : : I plan on doing just that, my family and i are tired of all the B.S. in life and want to leave "modern" society so we are heading for the hills. either Montana or Alaska. if we cant find a ghost town then we will homestead out in the wilderness. anyone wishing to do so may join us. Dave

: : : : : You dang sure got the right idea. Sorta. There's plenty of ghost towns in those areas to move into, most of them sparsely populated. And if you look hard enough, you can find one or two completely deserted. Strevell, Idaho, near the Utah border, I believe is empty.

: : : : : Of course, extreme weather could be a major factor whether homesteading or not. But even more important may be the fact that land owners tend to get a bit snooty with trespassers. Wilderness you say......the only problem is, it's either private property, or BLM. Unless i'm mistaken, permission

: : : : : is required regardless. Otherwise, bon voyage.

: : : : : bb.

: : : : That is the plan, a completely deserted ghost town whether it is private property or not i don't care, for i believe no one really owns the land any way. as for the BLM they can kiss my a%& my family has been in this country since 1690, before america even existed so i do not recognize their authority over me or anything for that matter.anyways that is the plan for me and my family this summer. Dave

: : : I have to admire your tenacity. And it's good to have a plan. But somehow I sense your bitterness is clouding your otherwise clear-thinking. It may even be possible for one person to homestead at a remote location for some time completely undetect- ed. (If no one sees you, you're not there). How-

: : : ever, homesteading with a family takes your brain- storming to an entirely different level. Your chances have to decrease dramatically, with the need for food, provisions, and shelter, if you don't find a ghosttown you like. What is your plan if you're discovered, shoot it out?

: : : I believe many of us are tired of the rat race, I know I am. Not that many have the sand to do what you plan to do. I'm not saying it can't be done. But this isn't the 19th century, and having ancestors dating back to 1690 won't mean a thing to a landowner, or a g-man with a rifle.

: : : bb.

: : I don't think it would come to that, but then again is one person or one family worth going after for a trespassing violation? would not look good on the news. anyways, my family leans toward the wilderness in Alaska. the ghosttowns that are known and worth going to will NEVER be deserted.as for food and supplies just becouse you live in the wilderness does'nt mean you have to live like a animal! we already have a generator and enouph canned vegies to last 7 months, we plan to grow our own food and hunt moose and any other game we fancy so we will live a "normal" life we have a computor for the childrens education so they will not be un-educated, in short we have planned pretty good for this and i am confident we will overcome any obstical the wilderness may throw our way. Dave

: If they find you homesteading on private (or Blm) land, you are not simply a trespasser. Again, I am no expert on the rules and regulations of homesteading. But Alaska IS part of the US, and I believe subject to the same laws, although Alaska

: may have some parcels set aside for homesteading.

: If not, you're planning to grow your own food, and shoot game on property that doesn't belong to you.

: An acquaintance was jailed a few years back for shooting a bear in Alaska. I think the charge was poaching, and he also had to pay a hefty fine.

: As long as you're planning, how much of an incon-

: venience would it be to look into the related laws? I imagine the internet would have all the answers you need. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Originally posted by Butcher

: I don't think there been Homesteading up Alaska way for some years now? Good advice Bob about the poaching ! I think but,I'm not sure that the BLM does sell, at auction, small parcals. As far as family, mine has been here since 1690. On one side of my family they also came on over on the 'ole Mayflower', the other side Choctow Indian. I would have my doubts about wanting to go up against a ******-offed land owner for me wanting to Squat on his land !! Really couldn't blame him either ! Feds I wouldn't even want to think about having to encounter them ! I also admire your gumpsion and wish you all the luck in the world ! Oh yea, I've thought about taking flying lessions, anyone thinking about what your about to under take will need to think about a float plane. FAA rules are a little different up that way, from what I understand. Or at least that's what I was told by my flight instructor many years ago. Just about everyone up in the Alaska wilderness has a float plane from what I understand. Once again lots a luck and I admire what your about to undertake.

: Butcher

:

: : I don't think there been Homesteading up Alaska way for some years now? Good advice Bob about the poaching ! I think but,I'm not sure that the BLM does sell, at auction, small parcals. As far as family, mine has been here since 1690. On one side of my family they also came on over on the 'ole Mayflower', the other side Choctow Indian. I would have my doubts about wanting to go up against a ******-offed land owner for me wanting to Squat on his land !! Really couldn't blame him either ! Feds I wouldn't even want to think about having to encounter them ! I also admire your gumpsion and wish you all the luck in the world ! Oh yea, I've thought about taking flying lessions, anyone thinking about what your about to under take will need to think about a float plane. FAA rules are a little different up that way, from what I understand. Or at least that's what I was told by my flight instructor many years ago. Just about everyone up in the Alaska wilderness has a float plane from what I understand. Once again lots a luck and I admire what your about to undertake.

: : Butcher

:

:

: You're absolutely right, butcher, I forgot about that "little" necessity. With the huge number of waterways, snow & ice packs, lack of roads, and the sheer remote locations, a plane would have to be a priority. I hear that chartering a small plane doesn't cost all that much up there, for people that are not interested in doing their own flying. Probably a dog sled and team is something to consider as well.

Thread Information