Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: living in a ghost town. how?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: living in a ghost town. how?

Originally posted by Butcher

: Yepper a dog sled wouldn't be a bad idea at all but then again there would be the food you would also have to supply for the dogs LOL. Another thing he might also consider might be a snow mobile with maybe extremely large fuel supply! Back to the Charter part I heard it use to be pretty cheap to charter a plane few years back but with the increase in the price of fuel I couldn't really tell you. I do know that when I was flying Aviation fuel was approaching 2 bucks a gallon back then and that was around 18 yrs ago. He might also think about some of the lower Northwestern states as a possibility? Area around Yellow Pine, Idaho is pretty **** secluded! I know for many years Yellow Pine didn't so much even have a telephone in the town and for 10 months out of the year had no people coming or going out of town because of being snowed in! Only way in or out is by 100 miles of snowcat or snowmobile! What's very unusual about the town also is that there is an Airport with soft field runway (Grass) located not to far south of town. But what makes it really nice is that the state of Idaho supplies free cars for pilots to use to go to the surrounding area and all they ask is to make sure that when you return to the strip is that you leave it with a full tank of fuel! Just love the area around Yellow Pine just wish I could get back up that way more often! Been close to 10 yrs since I've been up that way! 100s of old cabins to explore and some very interesting people that live in the back part of or little country! Some go yrs without seeing a soul except for maybe an acasional hunter or too! Man talk about cabin fever! Talk to one lets say different kind of individual one time up on the seasash river and he had been living up there for over 40 yrs ! Asked him if he also winters in also and he told me yes.

: I then asked if he had ever had to get to town ever in those yrs of being up there during the winter. He said that he once snowed shoed in to Warren which is over 50 mile and he would never do that again LOL. What really made this guy lets say different was the whole time he was telling me of his life back the in the back country he was eyeing my Girl friend (Now My wife) and he would go back to say the same statement about the hunters he encounters and that they might leave a dog out there but never leave him a woman! He just wished they would leave him a woman! This guy looked like something between one of the Hillbillies from Deliverance and an Amish person. He had an Amish type beard. Someday I'll make that loop again from Mc Call to Yellow pine then on to Big Creek then on to Warren then back towards Mc Call. Just the next time would like to spend an intire summer or at least a month doing it!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: living in a ghost town. how?

Originally posted by Dakota Danna

: : I plan on doing just that, my family and i are tired of all the B.S. in life and want to leave "modern" society so we are heading for the hills. either Montana or Alaska. if we cant find a ghost town then we will homestead out in the wilderness. anyone wishing to do so may join us. Dave

: Why do words Like Wacco and Ruby Ridge come to mind????? Butif remote areas, manageable weather for growing and plenty of wildlife are what you are looking for, believe me, South Dakota is the place. there are many ghost towns up in the hills that are rarely, if ever visited.

Default revival of a dead thread.

I am looking for just such a place as well, any suggestions of a ghost town?

Default Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by RevWill View Post
    I am looking for just such a place as well, any suggestions of a ghost town?
    Yeah I've got some suggestions.... heh, heh. Check out our site... Lincoln Valley, Fillmore, Sherbrooke, Eastedge, and Temple (all deserted), and Merricourt, which is population one or two.

All in North Dakota. I don't know the status of the land, but they're god places to start.

Troy

http://www.ghostsofnorthdakota.com

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

It's that 3 feet of snow and the 6 months of winter that leave me more than a little apprehensive.

I did "the alternative lifestyle" in my 20/30 year old phase. Older and wiser, it still appeals, but it's awful hard to survive on tranquility and a nice view!
    Reality sets in when you survey the 650 acres that needs to be fenced....by hand! Land taxes are due every year!

Re-inventing the wheel is pointless (and a sure sign of mental instability) but I still maintain that some level of self-sufficiency is possible. Today, more than ever "Ve haf ze technology".
    Co-operation is essential - likeminded people - but, having survived even the mimimal "community" living of my old farm (we all had our own separate 5 acres)....good fences make good neighbors!!

I seriously doubt a community based purely on ideological persuasion can survive the tumult of day-to-day humaness but people with their heads screwed on, who aren't into acquiring possession, power or priviledge, can.
    From experience, generous spirited people are the only ones who have a chance (and I'm not talking hippie clap-trap. I mean REAL generousity.)

The urge/desire/need to live that sort of lifestyle seems even more pressing today, somehow. I often say, of those old days, that we were right for all the wrong reasons - and the sex, drugs and rock'n roll didn't help - but the reasons are more cogent then they ever were. Never know who's gonna lapse into "instant jihad syndrome"!!
    I'd love to migrate to the States and live in a semi-ghost town - bottom line!
    I doubt you'd notice one more illegal in all the mix, and at least you'd know I love the country!!!

Default Living in a ghost town,how?

There are quite a few ghost towns in texas one can live in
    around the San Antonio and south Texas area.,There's Grapetown,Cain City ,Kendalia,Luckenbach,Pandora, Union Valley,Dewville,Nopal,Cheapside,
    Loire,Greytown,and Canada Verde to name a few.
    Kendalia is near Boerne,and you can take US HWY281 to San Antonio,or drive down to Texas Hwy 46 to Boerne and I-10 South to go to San Antonio.It has a little library and sits in the Texas Hill Country and you can drive to Boerne or Blanco or San Antonio for work and shopping.
    With these places they rarely get snow,though our summers can be hot.
    There's also Denhawken,Davy and New Davy,Garfield and Cotton Patch,Ecleto,Peggy,Fashing,El Oso,Pawlekeville,Panna Maria,
    Moravia,High Hill,St.John,Mendoza and others.Check out www.texasescapes.com for more Texas ghost and other small towns.

Default Moving to a Ghost town.

I believe Nevada still has homestead rights. Alotta places on BLM land available. I hope I'm not wrong because I've had the same idea of getting out of Dodge(Reno) myself.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    There are quite a few ghost towns in texas one can live in
    around the San Antonio and south Texas area.,There's Grapetown,Cain City ,Kendalia,Luckenbach,Pandora, Union Valley,Dewville,Nopal,Cheapside,
    Loire,Greytown,and Canada Verde to name a few.
    ...There's also Denhawken,Davy and New Davy,Garfield and Cotton Patch,Ecleto,Peggy,Fashing,El Oso,Pawlekeville,Panna Maria,
    Moravia,High Hill,St.John,Mendoza and others.
    Hello Dolly! You're doing my head in! So many places to go and check out, via GoogleEarth and your site.
    I only had ONE Texas "must see" on my list, prior to you turning up and tempting me, and it had nothing to do with ghost towns. Just north of Smithville is Mr Lueckes farm! I don't know if you know about him but he "wrote" his name using trees in a space 2.5 miles long/ .5 miles wide. It's so big you can see it from 100 miles up!

You have to admire that!! I couldn't be in the area and not drop in and congratulate the man, could I?
    Added bonus is that some GE guy has listed 2 Smithville eateries in his "Top 50 Texas B-B-Q" list...... 3 good reasons to go to Smithville!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Mr. Rash,
    When you sell your business, please invest in some kind of wireless notebook computer.

I'd love to hear your day to day reports from the road. (or trail)

Thanks

BS

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    Mr. Rash,
    When you sell your business, please invest in some kind of wireless notebook computer.

I'd love to hear your day to day reports from the road. (or trail)

Thanks

BS
    Brian, you must be joking, mate. I'll be so busy trying to master the GPS, I'll probably wake up in Alaska! Let's not even contemplate the debacle that could eventuate with a one-legged Aussie trying to learn to drive on the right in automatics where the accelerator and brake are on "the wrong side"!!!

Why, why, why did America decide to drive on the right?
    I used to rail against the folly of it. Couldn't they see the need for standards? How much easier would this world have been?
    Then I began to discover things like Phillips head screws and decimal currency and I realised - this world doesn't like conformity.
    This is where all the "diversity is good" people smile and clap, but I am NOT THERE! It's no way to run a world and someone should do something about it. I would put my hand up for the job, but I'd have to sit with pricks like Kofee Anan, which reminds me of an old Dave Letterman joke; "What do you get Boutrous Boutrous Ghali for his birthday?"
    Another boutrous- but I digress. And yes, it was a REALLY bad day in the shop and NO, you can't have fries with bloody anything!!

I've actually heard of WiFi and I have even downloaded Skype but I wouldn't know how to work it. I don't have grandchildren so the chances of me learning are ever diminishing.
    Anyway, you'd never understand my accent, so I'm told. I speak English -until the 3rd beer. After that, gibberish.
    I do intend to master the-new-camera-someone-got-for-Xmas-from-his-loving-daughter before I voyage out and I've learned from GT.com that people like to see the same sorts of photos that I do, so that's a given.
    Anyway - aren't you driving?
    Last edited by Gravelrash; 10-12-2007 at 04:43 AM.

Thread Information