Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: living in a ghost town. how?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    Brian, you must be joking, mate. I'll be so busy trying to master the GPS, I'll probably wake up in Alaska! Let's not even contemplate the debacle that could eventuate with a one-legged Aussie trying to learn to drive on the right in automatics where the accelerator and brake are on "the wrong side"!!!

Why, why, why did America decide to drive on the right?

When I was in merry old England, driving US vehicles on
    the left side of the road did not bother me at all. BUT, driving
    British manual trans cars put me into apoplexy. Just couldn't
    get over shifting with my left hand.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    Why, why, why did America decide to drive on the right?

Not sure, but rewind to days of yore, when jousting was a fun sport in the Coliseum. Horses refuse to pass each other on the left. That tradition came over to the new world on Spanish Galleons; subsequently, the old Boston post road was set up to accomodate horses, some time after Paul Bunyan made his famous ride warning, "The "British are coming". Hence, in the horse and buggy days of the 1920's and 30's, the tradition continued until today.

Many Americans still drive on the left-hand side, after leaving the bars, or while arguing with the spouse.

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

LOL - you're a dag, Bob!

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Many Americans still drive on the left-hand side, after leaving the bars, or while arguing with the spouse.
    And those are just the ones with a decent excuse.

I drive a street sweeper on the right side, while sitting on the right. Talk about learning issues.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    And those are just the ones with a decent excuse.

I drive a street sweeper on the right side, while sitting on the right. Talk about learning issues.
    Gary, we definitely have to meet up. The images your post conjure up....mere words won't suffice as explanation. Somehow, I feel we have a lot in common!
    This '08 Ghost Town trip is gonna be a hoot. You guys are....... well...... you are!
    Is America ready for this?

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'll be so busy trying to master the GPS, I'll probably wake up in Alaska!

I know how you feel about technology. I'm still trying to master my GPS, years after buying it.

Ready for a shock? I don't even own a cell phone.

Let's not even contemplate the debacle that could eventuate with a one-legged Aussie trying to learn to drive on the right in automatics where the accelerator and brake are on "the wrong side"!!!

If Mel Gibson could figure it out, anybody can.

Then I began to discover things like Phillips head screws and decimal currency and I realised - this world doesn't like conformity.

As a former auto mechanic, I ask you to contemplate the folly of using BOTH metric and SAE fastners on a vehicle. Its common practice here.

I'd have to sit with pricks like Kofee Anan,

DO NOT get me started on wordwide gun control. I'll be right back. Its the UPS man delivering more guns. Yes, legally.

I've actually heard of WiFi and I have even downloaded Skype

You got me beat.

I speak English -until the 3rd beer. After that, gibberish.

I am fluent in gibberish.

Anyway - aren't you driving?

Yes, its one thing I'm pretty good at.

Ready for a shock? I don't even own a cell phone.
    Ahhh, I knew you were a good bloke. There's a lot to like about people who don't!
    I have actually lost my techno-virginity....I've sent one text message!
    I prefer my Luddite disposition , except where computers are concerned. No, No - Don't take the computer away. Anything except the computer!!
    You've really got my interest up about a wireless laptop, mate. This sounds like an excellent idea.
    When I started venturing into the high-country my wife was understandably a bit nervous, due to my somewhat abbreviated condition, so she insisted I take a mobile phone (as they are known here). I did get bogged on one escape and, sure enough, no signal.
    What is the point?
    (It was very comical. Imagine getting bogged on crutches!! They sank more than a foot into the mud with each step, effectively stranding me! I felt like a beached whale. The suction pulled the "tips" off and the tubes filled with mud that reeked for days after!)

Am I right in figuring wireless computers would achieve the same result - the ability to contact people quickly - and have better coverage from satellites?

I like to visit a hot spring on the middle fork of the Boise river called Twin Springs. It's very
    primative. The proprietors use a Satalite phone to contact "the world". It's strange to use. It looks like a WWII "walkie talkie". You have to aim it at the satalite once you figure out where it is above you. It has a built in signal strength meter to aquire the bird. "Sat Phones" are very expensive, but to my knowledge, they are the only thing that works, when your in the mountains out here. The cheap fix is to take a buddy.

As far as lap tops go, you could always update your log entries when you come back into the population zones.

Here's the link for Twin Springs.
    I'm not hocking it, but it is a fun place with a very neat old history for anyone who is interested. http://www.twinspringsidaho.com/

Quote Originally Posted by danbo View Post
    I like to visit a hot spring on the middle fork of the Boise river called Twin Springs. It's very
    primative. The proprietors use a Satalite phone to contact "the world". It's strange to use. It looks like a WWII "walkie talkie". You have to aim it at the satalite once you figure out where it is above you. It has a built in signal strength meter to aquire the bird. "Sat Phones" are very expensive, but to my knowledge, they are the only thing that works, when your in the mountains out here. The cheap fix is to take a buddy.

As far as lap tops go, you could always update your log entries when you come back into the population zones.

Here's the link for Twin Springs.
    I'm not hocking it, but it is a fun place with a very neat old history for anyone who is interested. http://www.twinspringsidaho.com/
    Shush, Danbo, shush! If I can wangle a new toy or two out of this "need to be in touch, honey", it's only a little white lie after all.

I really like the sound of places like Twin Springs, even if I won't get to visit them. There's some old ski huts in our alpine region that have something similar, being solar powered - which makes them an iffy proposition in winter - but I can no longer get to those places as its a very difficult hike for even the fittest and ablest. I like that feeling of having left everything way behind.

I'm glad you mentioned hot springs, because I have wanted to ask for a while but didn't want too many public displays of ignorance in my first month as a member!

All over google earth there are, literally, hundreds of posts for hot springs, in every Western/Rocky Mt state. I realise many of these sites are just where there is a natural occurence but what I'd like to know is if there are many springs that are "developed", as in.... you can get into them with some ease and comfort?
    The image I have in mind is of a hot springs in Lightning Ridge, an opal mining town in far western New South Wales. They have constructed some simple cement pools at the springs, with steps for easy entry.
    Are many of the American hot springs like that?
    I'm am absolute devotee and if there are a lot of these I will have hours of fun re-plotting my travel plans.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

One place I think you'd like is Glenwood Springs, CO. Wyatt Earps's friend, Doc Holliday came here for treatment, and IIRC is also buried here. But the spring has a huge cement pool that has easy access.
    I've not been to Thermal WY, it may be easily accessible too. There are several hot springs that the pioneers and others used while crossing and settling the "great expanse".

Thread Information