Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Mining and Ranching Sites near Oracle, Az

Default Old Mining and Ranching Sites near Oracle, Az

We decided to spend black Friday enjoying the fall colors near Oracle on an exploration trip to try and find some old mining and ranching sites. This was one of the most fun exploration trips I've had in a while. We made some great finds, had awesome scenery, a little bit of challenging four-wheeling and wonderful friends and family to spend it with.

We started off a 0'dark thirty in the am. It was a little chilly for Cat-dog, so we wrapped her up in her blanket like a green chili burrito.

We made our way to Oracle, put it in 4WD low and headed down the trail. After about an hour, we stopped at the first mining camp (I'd been here once before). Some of the stuff was old, but the buildings looked like they had been built or updated in the 1960s or 1970s, then abandoned. Very nice rockwork. Lots of old stuff lying about.

Cat-dog and I found their old mailbox and we checked it for mail, but there were only bills ;-)

Then we headed off on another trail that I had never been on before. Along the way we met some people in an ATV hunting. After talking with them (they had property in the area), it seems that the Forest Service is planning on closing the entire area when the new MVUMs come out next year . Big bummer.

For now, we keep going until we hit a beautiful wash.

The trail was washed out near there, so we put on our hiking boots and hiked along a shelf road for a while.

More...

"Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

It was hotter than expected and we were fairly warm by the time we reached an old pump house down the wash. This was a two room affair with a DEEP well in one of the rooms. My guess it was about 15-20 across and maybe 10 down until you hit the water. The other room had some old foundations for the pumps. Not sure when it was originally built, but some of the concrete work had a date of 1937.

We spent some time exploring the area, then hiked back to the trucks and drove down to the wash to find a cool, shady spot for some lunch. Cat-dog thanked me for taking her along today (and for the leftover turkey treats I gave her)

More ...

After lunch, we decided to try to find a different route back...

The next poriton of the trail was the most challenging, with some large wash outs. It was VERY brushy too. We found some old concrete foundations and went to have a look. This area was extremely prickery. I have never seen as many prickers as this before. Poor Cat-dog was having big time pricker issues. She would take two steps forward, get a pricker, we would get it out, she would take two more steps, get another pricker... Finally, we just carried her back to the Jeep. She thought it was very humiliating .

We came upon a washed out bridge with rock abutments. The bypass was a little tricky (needing a reverse wheelie as you went over the edge).

More ...

The creek was nice, though not much water since we have been so dry lately. I can't wait for some good winter rain.

The wash had some awesome colors along the shelf road

More...

We made it past a few tricky spots, then were back on familiar ground. We did some more exploring by some old cabins and found what looked like a dump site. A cool old truck cab was my highlight.

Then we found one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen…
    This dump was on the side of a hill and there was a little ditch that had water in it. It hadn't rained for a long time and we thought it strange. We traced the flow to a clump of trees. One of the trees had twin trunks. One had been cut off and was a stump. The spring water was flowing OUT of the center of the stump. Mike put his hand down the center of the stump and it was hollow for as far as he could reach. Amazing. The pictures don't do it justice.

Here is the stump with a little bit of vegetation growing out of it.

You could put your arm down the center of the stump.

More cool stuff.

One more....

Last one...

Me taking a poser picture at the truck cab.

The sun was getting a little low, so we decided to head back home (finding yet another way out - again very brushy). I will be spending the rest of the weekend getting all the new scratches buffed out...
    Cat-dog had a great day, but was ready to go back home, eat dinner and sleep (though from this depressed look on her face when we hit pavement you would not think that)

All in all, an awesome day exploring. We found some really cool areas and some neat history.

Another great thread Matt, I always enjoy your photos and threads, thanks for sharing. You folks really have some great places to explore out there.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Great photos as usual, Matt. Looks like a spot to check out on foot and/or 4WD.
    Just a food point of clarification, for what little it might mean.
    The term "burrito" is a relative newcomer.
    For more than half a century, that Mexican flour-tortilla-wrapped culinary delight has been (and is today in mining towns like Oracle, Mammoth, Globe, Miami and Superior) called a "burro."
    "Burrito" is an unfortunate manifestation of people from back East who'd like people from the West to embrace their back-East values.
    Probably the worst evolution in this regard are the things called "wraps." They're essentially the same as burros (fillings notwithstanding), but they've been given a new, more urban moniker in the interest of promoting sales.
    Gag me with a spoon.
    Cheers

great pics and storey there Matt!!!!!!!! next time get little leather boot's for the dog! looked like ya had more fun than at the mall!!! lol

Are you telling me Taco Bell isn't authentic Mexican food? LOL.

I have thought about getting little booties for Cat-dog. We used to have them for an Aussie we had about 10 years ago and they worked very well, I just don't think Cat-dog would tolerate them as well. She is part cat :-)

Thread Information