Thread: Tuckerville, Colorado

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Tuckerville, Colorado

Originally posted by Rob

: Does anyone know anything about Tuckerville Colorado? I happen to catch a ghost town video where it was mentioned, and it looked kind of intriguing. It is not mentioned on this site, or any of the Colorado ghost town books I own.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Tuckerville, Colorado

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Does anyone know anything about Tuckerville Colorado? I happen to catch a ghost town video where it was mentioned, and it looked kind of intriguing. It is not mentioned on this site, or any of the Colorado ghost town books I own.

: Tuckerville is in La Plata county at gps co-ordinates 37 29' 33" N, by 107 29' 5" W. From Vallecito Lake, Middle Mountain Road winds about 13 miles thru spectacular scenery. At mile 10, you reach Dollar Lake trailhead. Tuckerville is 3 miles beyond either Dollar Lake, or Cave Basin. (Directions become ambiguous), But they say you will need 4wd vehicle for last 2 miles, unless you hike in. Tuckerville was old mining camp, and from there is supposedly breathtaking view of Los Pinos Valley. There are several tour companies in that area, like Holli-da, Pink Jeep (or some jeep outfit), etc. They all know Tuckerville. You could also contact Durango C of C.

: bb.

Originally posted by Rob

: : Thanks! It looks like a pretty decent "true ghost."

: : : Does anyone know anything about Tuckerville Colorado? I happen to catch a ghost town video where it was mentioned, and it looked kind of intriguing. It is not mentioned on this site, or any of the Colorado ghost town books I own.

: : Tuckerville is in La Plata county at gps co-ordinates 37 29' 33" N, by 107 29' 5" W. From Vallecito Lake, Middle Mountain Road winds about 13 miles thru spectacular scenery. At mile 10, you reach Dollar Lake trailhead. Tuckerville is 3 miles beyond either Dollar Lake, or Cave Basin. (Directions become ambiguous), But they say you will need 4wd vehicle for last 2 miles, unless you hike in. Tuckerville was old mining camp, and from there is supposedly breathtaking view of Los Pinos Valley. There are several tour companies in that area, like Holli-da, Pink Jeep (or some jeep outfit), etc. They all know Tuckerville. You could also contact Durango C of C.

: : bb.

Originally posted by Romer

: Cool! Just another great reason to move to Durango!

Default Visit to Tuckerville

When I was 10 years old, my parents sent me to Camp Vallecito at the edge of Vallecito Lake. One of our excursions was a horse ride and overnight camping outing to the Ghost Town of Tuckerville. There were still a few of the buildings left at the time I visited there but it is now ancient history since 54 years have come and gone since that visit. I still remember the stories of the Old Muscalero Apache who haunts the place told by our camp guide and a great night spent in the snow on the ground outside one of the buildings. It was great fun and of course we all slept with one eye open waiting for that Apache to come out of the trees - but he never showed up.

For a boy from the tropics of South Texas - the snow was fantastic, but the cold that went with it wasnt. Other than that my horse, June, broke from her tethers and camp counselors chased her 20 miles and I rode double back to camp.

Lots of great memories of the Vallecito area and that ride to Tuckerville.

I lived in Houston for 33 years, retired in 1999, and moved to Forest Lakes (Bayfield) just south of Vallecito Lake. I have been to the Tuckerville site and Cave Basin Overlook 15-20 times. It is about two miles down the backside of Middle Mountain...about 13 miles overall off CR501. The Tuckerville site has only a USFS sign now that tells of the history of the site; there is nothing else now to suggest there was ever anything else there. I have seen pictures of the old cabins that were there at one time. It started in 1928, but I suspect the temps in the Winter were -40 and made life miserable for the few who lived there. There is a small stream that flows through the site..as noted above. It is a nice camping site with room for several groups. A car with trailer can easily make it to this point.

About two miles past the site is spectacular Cave Basin Overlook. There are several trail turns and it took me several visits to find the correct route to the Overlook. In 2000, an old cabin was visible off to the left at the Overlook; but it has since collapsed. Near the remains, there is a narrow and risky path that leads to the mouth of an old mine. The mouth is also visible from the Overlook above if one reaches the right location to see it below. I have made it to the Overlook in a Jeep and an Explorer; but an ATV is advisable. People who abused the rules have forced the USFS to close off part of the trail to the Overlook. This was done after a nice wooden fence was smashed last Fall. I hope to go in the next few days and see how far ATV's can now legally be used. Hikers could easily make the last piece of the trail; but, at 68, I am not sure I can.

Default Now Closed

I went to the Tuckerville site yesterday. Sure enough, the USFS has closed the trail to all motorized vehicles and locked the gate a the site. The last 1.5 miles to the spectacular Cave Basin Overlook is only accessible now by foot or horse.

Default Tuckerville, CO

The gate is only closed certain times of the year when the bighorn sheep are calving. They opened the gate June 17th. However, I think you can only go a short distance before the road has been closed off at that point. Where the gate is and the newly updated forest service sign are, that is where Tuckerville used to be. I was just up there last month and saw the sign. The road past Tuckerville should be open now. I haven't been up there for a few weeks, so I'm not sure, but Tuckerville is one of my favorite places and my husband and I go up there regularly. It's a shame that there is nothing left.

Hi,

The gate is only closed certain times of the year while the bighorn sheep are calving. When I was up there last month, I believe the sign said that they open the gate on June 17th. Unfortunately, thanks to irresponsible people, you can't get back up in there as far as you used to on ATVs or vehicles. I know the mine you are talking about up there and I don't think you can drive to it any more. I haven't been back past Tuckerville in a couple of years, but I think now vehicles are only allowed for a certain distance and then there is another gate. If I have read the new map that the Forest Service put out correctly, I think you have to walk to that mine now and the Cave Basin overlook. But at least you can drive a little ways past Tuckerville.

Thread Information