Thread: Vegas trip.. ghostowns to see?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Vegas trip.. ghostowns to see?

Originally posted by Barry

: I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for ghost towns to see that are within a few hours of vegas.. we'd prefer ones that let us 4 wheel to get there and let us enjoy scenery as well...

: Thanks in advance!!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Vegas trip.. ghostowns to see?

Originally posted by John Pinckney

: While not requiring 4WD, I can suggest Rhyolite, with a stop at Carrara either coming or going. Just head up U.S. 95. On a clear day, you'll see Carrara long before you get there. Carrara is accessable via a dirt road off the right side of the highway. Although I didn't think it a challenge, my wife thought I was sure to get our Pontiac Grand AM stuck going up there. Maybe others will add more suggestions.

: -John

: : I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for ghost towns to see that are within a few hours of vegas.. we'd prefer ones that let us 4 wheel to get there and let us enjoy scenery as well...

: : Thanks in advance!!

Originally posted by Norm

: : I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for ghost towns to see that are within a few hours of vegas.. we'd prefer ones that let us 4 wheel to get there and let us enjoy scenery as well...

: You may want to try Nelson, Nevada and then the Techatticup Mine and then down to the Colorado River just south of Vegas on 95 then east on 165 and most of that is two wheel drive.

Originally posted by Bob Maichle

: If your willing to 4wd, I'd like to know much more about what you hope to find when you get to your desination, how far your willing to walk when you run out of road and how soon you are coming to Vegas (It's gonna get hot soon).

: Would one standing stone building and square nails (Circa 1867 and two hours)

: or a site (circa 1907 an hour drive), where with a little walk you can find an horizontal adi with cots still in it,

: or a back way into the second (By about 10 days) non-indian mine in what is now Nevada be more to your interest?

: Both Nelson and Rhyolite are interesting but not requiring 4wd and mediorce scenery.

: Along that same line, drive out to Goodsprings, have a beer at the Pioneer Saloon, and start your adventure from there!

: Anyway, I'll be glad to suggest places to go, but I value the thrill of discovery and will on give you hints to find the good stuff!

: Let me know what your looking for, the value of scenary and what you want to see? Good luck!

Originally posted by Barry

: :thanks for the follow up...we'd like to see some ramining ruins or standing buildings if possible..if not...its ok with us..well be out in the open..and enjoying not being at work... heh heh.. being a photo buff...ill be looking for good

: photo ops as well..

: Thanks again!!

Originally posted by Bob Maichle

: Hmm. Let's forget the square nails then, it is some nice scenary but the nearest ruins is tempiute and that isn't much for two hours drive.

: No nifty builings remain at either the 1900s camp or Potosi Mines (Second non-indian mine in Nevada).

: If your into a neat 4wd trail I can give ya directions to a well preserved ranch cabin and corral. This is near Johnie/Montgomery where there are neat buildings BUT unfriendly keep out signs.

: I can give ya directions, past some petroglyphs to the backside of the Johnnie Mine where a telephoto lens could defeat private property.

: I suspect that if you run on up 95 past Carrara (No buildings but worth the explore) there is a set of abandonned 1930s buildings nearby which is often confused with Carrara and does meet your requirements.

: Continuing up, you must stop at Rhyolite where the remains of the Cook Bank Buildings give a great photo op. 4wd drive adventure can be had to lessor known sites

: around Beatty (and Beatty is a good place for Lunch). Some neat places to explore include around Sober-Up Wash (Pioneer Road), Mieklejohn. and of Course if it ain't too hot,

: the Death Valley Camps (Search the web) like Skidoo and the drive down Titus Canyon are nearby as well. If you plan a loop, come back via Death Valley through Death Valley Junction.

: But that would be a whole days adventure. Short trips to Goodsprings and/or Nelson (Camp El Dorada) and/or Searchlight are family car drives but interesting.

: IF you want to go to much lessor known places, drop me an email (bob@nvwf.org) and I can give ya a real heads up to nifty places to other nifty places (more remote areas in

: and around the trees all within two hours of Las Vegas. Exploring the ruins around Valley Wells just off I-15, FInding the old McFarlane Mine in the Clark Range, the back way to Tecopa through the Kingston Range are high clearance (No 4wd needed) interesting trips.

: You could check out the mines aroubnd Tecopa and SHoshone then (Again a good search engine on the web is all you need there). I know, so many options, so little time :-)

Thread Information