Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aurora,NV

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Aurora,NV

Originally posted by Aurora Dude

: i was just wondering if the snow is starting to melt around the Aurora and Masonic area?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Aurora,NV

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : i was just wondering if the snow is starting to melt around the Aurora and Masonic area?

: Not bloody likely matey.....at that altitude. You're looking at somewhere around mid to late June. Last time I was at Bodie, the rangers said Aurora fairly difficult to get to even in GOOD conditons, and recommended 4wd.

: bb.

Originally posted by Bob Starks

: : i was just wondering if the snow is starting to melt around the Aurora and Masonic area?

: In past years I've seen as much a 2 feet of snow on the ground in mid June. Because of the light snow this year I'll probably try to go in through Hawthorne and Lucky Boy in mid May.

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: Its been really warm out here, I would be willing to guess that the snow should be mostly melted with patches of snow here and there. The road conditions will most likely be very muddy for awhile yet. I would normally say 4 wheel drive is not needed to reach either Aurora or Masonci but for the muddy conditions you probably will.

:

: The locals forgot to mention one leeetle bitsy thing about this time of the year. Storms. I'd be hesitant to enter this area unprepared for a sudden storm, capable of dumping several inches of rain or snow. Locals don't have far to go, and probably have someone to help them, if they become stranded. But if you live hundreds of miles away, or more, it's not a good feeling. Then again, you only go around once. If you feel lucky, go for it.

Default The locals arent so bad

: Bad Bob,

: We locals arent such a bad lot! If you get stuck there are people here that would LOVE to help get ya out! They think its fun!

: One person to keep in mind is Brian at Mammoth Lakes Napa!

: Do you make it over to this next of the woods often? Let me know and maybe we can hook up for some exploring! There are a couple of not well known spots I'd love to show ya!

:

: :

: : : i was just wondering if the snow is starting to melt around the Aurora and Masonic area?

: : The locals forgot to mention one leeetle bitsy thing about this time of the year. Storms. I'd be hesitant to enter this area unprepared for a sudden storm, capable of dumping several inches of rain or snow. Locals don't have far to go, and probably have someone to help them, if they become stranded. But if you live hundreds of miles away, or more, it's not a good feeling. Then again, you only go around once. If you feel lucky, go for it.

: : bb.

Default Re: The locals arent so bad

:

: : Bad Bob,

: : We locals arent such a bad lot! If you get stuck there are people here that would LOVE to help get ya out! They think its fun!

: : One person to keep in mind is Brian at Mammoth Lakes Napa!

: : Do you make it over to this next of the woods often? Let me know and maybe we can hook up for some exploring! There are a couple of not well known spots I'd love to show ya!

: : :

: : : : i was just wondering if the snow is starting to melt around the Aurora and Masonic area?

: : : The locals forgot to mention one leeetle bitsy thing about this time of the year. Storms. I'd be hesitant to enter this area unprepared for a sudden storm, capable of dumping several inches of rain or snow. Locals don't have far to go, and probably have someone to help them, if they become stranded. But if you live hundreds of miles away, or more, it's not a good feeling. Then again, you only go around once. If you feel lucky, go for it.

: : : bb.

: Cat Nowhere in my msg, did I say the locals were bad people. If anything, mountain folk should indeed be emulated. And I'm very "much obliged fer the invite." The only point I was trying to get across, is that even though the snow is melting, the "safest" time to travel to places like Aurora, would be July & August, unless you're in a 4wd. When we were at Bodie, (July 92), the rangers told us that it was "possible" to reach Aurora with a standard vehicle, but "recommended" 4wd. I'm sure there are plenty of locals glad to help someone stuck, but with Aurora's remote location, I can picture someone stuck out there alone, with no way to contact anyone for help. Being prepared is the key, but there are many that just aren't. Newpapers from coast to coast print their stories all the time.

Default No offence taken

: Bad Bob,

: No offence taken! I understand where you're coming from, I've read those same stories in the papers!

: Hope to run into out here one of these days!

: Cat & Rip

: : : Bad Bob,

: : : We locals arent such a bad lot! If you get stuck there are people here that would LOVE to help get ya out! They think its fun!

: : : One person to keep in mind is Brian at Mammoth Lakes Napa!

: : : Do you make it over to this next of the woods often? Let me know and maybe we can hook up for some exploring! There are a couple of not well known spots I'd love to show ya!

: : :

: : : :

: : : : : i was just wondering if the snow is starting to melt around the Aurora and Masonic area?

: : : : The locals forgot to mention one leeetle bitsy thing about this time of the year. Storms. I'd be hesitant to enter this area unprepared for a sudden storm, capable of dumping several inches of rain or snow. Locals don't have far to go, and probably have someone to help them, if they become stranded. But if you live hundreds of miles away, or more, it's not a good feeling. Then again, you only go around once. If you feel lucky, go for it.

: : : : bb.

: : Cat Nowhere in my msg, did I say the locals were bad people. If anything, mountain folk should indeed be emulated. And I'm very "much obliged fer the invite." The only point I was trying to get across, is that even though the snow is melting, the "safest" time to travel to places like Aurora, would be July & August, unless you're in a 4wd. When we were at Bodie, (July 92), the rangers told us that it was "possible" to reach Aurora with a standard vehicle, but "recommended" 4wd. I'm sure there are plenty of locals glad to help someone stuck, but with Aurora's remote location, I can picture someone stuck out there alone, with no way to contact anyone for help. Being prepared is the key, but there are many that just aren't. Newpapers from coast to coast print their stories all the time.

: : bb.

Default Aurora

Originally posted by G. FISCHER

: Sir/Madam,

: I have a 4x4 and was thinking about going to Aurora, Grantsville,, Nivloc, Pine Grove this up and coming weekend, but am uncertian, if it is a wise or unwise idea do to snow/weather. Im new at this game of exploring ghost towns, but not new at off roading, but unfamiliar with your neck of the woods. Any information that you could offer would be appreciated.

Default Re: Aurora

: G Fisher,

: Well, even though its been real warm lately you might have some trouble with snow at Pine Grove and possibly Aurora. If nothing else I'm sure it will be very muddy. The weather reports look good, no storms expected for at least the next 10 days.

: Grantsville and Nivloc, being farther into Nevada, I would bet are free and clear of snow, its been nice and toasty out that way for awhile.

: But its always better to be safe than sorry! Take a cell phone and cb with ya, and hopefully make the trip with at least one other vehicle. None of these places you metioned are too far from civilation. Although help wouldnt be just around the corner it wouldnt be all that far off either.

: If you make it out towards Goldfield and Gold Point maybe we'll run into ya! We're on CB Channel 14 and will be staying in Gold Point at night, exploring (and shooting a tv show) during the day in Goldfield.

: Happy exploring!

: Cat and Ripley

: : Sir/Madam,

: : I have a 4x4 and was thinking about going to Aurora, Grantsville,, Nivloc, Pine Grove this up and coming weekend, but am uncertian, if it is a wise or unwise idea do to snow/weather. Im new at this game of exploring ghost towns, but not new at off roading, but unfamiliar with your neck of the woods. Any information that you could offer would be appreciated.

Thread Information