Thread: Apache Springs Cabin, Arizona

Default Apache Springs Cabin, Arizona

Last Sunday I took my mom and Cat-dog out for a trip into the Las Cienegas Conservation Area southeast of Tucson. We had a great time exploring the area and found an old hunting lodge. Not sure of the construction date, but talking with a hunter out there, one of the concrete water troughs had a date of 1918 on it.

The trail begins at Empire Ranch with a graded dirt road that leads to Cienega Ranch. From that point, you shift it into 4WD and head east up into the foothills of the Whetstone Mountains. It's very easy 4WD for the first part of the trip and you will pass many water tanks and windmills (though all the tanks were solar powered). A few had some very marshy areas near them from water leaking out.

Cat-dog decided to play in the mud a little. The dog part of her enjoyed it, the cat part of her did not take responsibility for her getting all muddy.

We also found what I think was a grain storage bin for cattle, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what this thing is?

We made it to the cabin and springs (the last portion of the trail was a little tougher, but still not too bad). It was almost like a desert oasis. A nice stand of trees and the cabin was really cool. It had three rooms: a dining room/kitchen and two bedrooms.

After the cabin, we headed down a different road on the way out. We found some really cool sheer cliffs to explore. All-in-all, a wonderful day exploring.

For more information, directions, pictures, video, GPS coordinates, etc. you can visit the adventure at Experience Arizona
    "Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

That cabins a find. I've been to the Empire ranch but not past it. I guess there's quite a bit of history still standing out there. Cat Dog's lucky to have such a devoted slave.
    Perty cool man.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Did you get any photos of the inside of the cabin? I stumbled on to a place like that here in Nevada when I was looking for Seven Troughs.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

There are a few on my website gallery: http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...scgallery.html

I'll try to post more when I get a chance.
    "Life's not about how fast you can blast through it, but how slow you can go."
    matt@experience-az.com | www.experience-az.com

Thanks Matt, when I clicked on the link at the bottom of your post, I didn't see any more photos so I wasn't sure.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Thread Information