Thread: ghost towns on the utah arizona border

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default ghost towns on the utah arizona border

Originally posted by Jimmie

: does anyone know of any ghost towns along the arizona, utah border?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: ghost towns on the utah arizona border

Originally posted by Bill

: : does anyone know of any ghost towns along the arizona, utah border?
    : Sure Jim, most notably there's Grafton,Utah located just West of Zion. This is a "cotton" ghost of early Mormon history. Also between Page,AZ and Kanab,UT is Paria (or Pahreah) which is North off Rte.89, at the top of the curve West of Big Water.
    : It's funny..."Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" for the most part was filmed at Grafton, and at Paria as well a few earlier famous films were shot. In fact, the first set of buildings you encounter on the dirt road going to Paria are really an old movie set. The real remains are a little further up the road and across the wash.
    : Lastly, in the St. George area are a number of places. Silver Reef, Pine Valley, and Old Irontown closer to Cedar City are all worth a visit. E-mail me if you need more directions or would like me to foward a pic or two I have of these places. They're up and coming at my "under-construction" homepage http://members.com/~ridingduo/utah.html . Later -Bill

Originally posted by Jimmie

: : : does anyone know of any ghost towns along the arizona, utah border?
    : : Sure Jim, most notably there's Grafton,Utah located just West of Zion. This is a "cotton" ghost of early Mormon history. Also between Page,AZ and Kanab,UT is Paria (or Pahreah) which is North off Rte.89, at the top of the curve West of Big Water.
    : : It's funny..."Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" for the most part was filmed at Grafton, and at Paria as well a few earlier famous films were shot. In fact, the first set of buildings you encounter on the dirt road going to Paria are really an old movie set. The real remains are a little further up the road and across the wash.
    : : Lastly, in the St. George area are a number of places. Silver Reef, Pine Valley, and Old Irontown closer to Cedar City are all worth a visit. E-mail me if you need more directions or would like me to foward a pic or two I have of these places. They're up and coming at my "under-construction" homepage http://members.com/~ridingduo/utah.html . Later -Bill
    : Bill,
    : thanks for the info. [i sent you an e-mail earlier] i looked at your web site, and wouldn't you know it, but the ghost town i was looking for is pahreah. i have a AAA tour book with a beautiful picture of pahreah on the cover. but they didn't identify what or where the picture was. it looks exactly like what you would picture a ghost town to be. [i must admit i'm a little disappointed to find out much of it is a movie set - no wonder it looked so ****** quintessential]. i'd still like to take a look at it though, those striped rock formations around the town look amazing. do you know the condition of the road that leads up to it off of highway 89? I ask because my wife and i will be renting a little ol' toyota, and i'm wondering if we'd need a four wheeler to get over the road... thanks again, this is great. Jimmie

Originally posted by Bill

: : : : does anyone know of any ghost towns along the arizona, utah border?
    : : : Sure Jim, most notably there's Grafton,Utah located just West of Zion. This is a "cotton" ghost of early Mormon history. Also between Page,AZ and Kanab,UT is Paria (or Pahreah) which is North off Rte.89, at the top of the curve West of Big Water.
    : : : It's funny..."Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" for the most part was filmed at Grafton, and at Paria as well a few earlier famous films were shot. In fact, the first set of buildings you encounter on the dirt road going to Paria are really an old movie set. The real remains are a little further up the road and across the wash.
    : : : Lastly, in the St. George area are a number of places. Silver Reef, Pine Valley, and Old Irontown closer to Cedar City are all worth a visit. E-mail me if you need more directions or would like me to foward a pic or two I have of these places. They're up and coming at my "under-construction" homepage http://members.com/~ridingduo/utah.html . Later -Bill
    : : Bill,
    : : thanks for the info. [i sent you an e-mail earlier] i looked at your web site, and wouldn't you know it, but the ghost town i was looking for is pahreah. i have a AAA tour book with a beautiful picture of pahreah on the cover. but they didn't identify what or where the picture was. it looks exactly like what you would picture a ghost town to be. [i must admit i'm a little disappointed to find out much of it is a movie set - no wonder it looked so ****** quintessential]. i'd still like to take a look at it though, those striped rock formations around the town look amazing. do you know the condition of the road that leads up to it off of highway 89? I ask because my wife and i will be renting a little ol' toyota, and i'm wondering if we'd need a four wheeler to get over the road... thanks again, this is great. Jimmie
    : Jim,
    : Sorry I didn't get back with a reply to you till today 10/9, putting every spare minute I have into getting that photo site completed...must have finished off another half-dozen or more towns this week...only two or three to go!!! The road in to Pareah is a cake-walk until you get to the set...then a little further there's a wash crossing...a sandy wash crossing...where you'll need to cross by foot if it's wet. This is where the "real" townsite is. Not as glamorous as the "set", but the real thing. Later- Bill

Originally posted by eric meyer

: : : Sure Jim, most notably there's Grafton,Utah located just West of Zion. This is a "cotton" ghost of early Mormon history. Also between Page,AZ and Kanab,UT is Paria (or Pahreah) which is North off Rte.89, at the top of the curve West of Big Water.
    : : : It's funny..."Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" for the most part was filmed at Grafton, and at Paria as well a few earlier famous films were shot. In fact, the first set of buildings you encounter on the dirt road going to Paria are really an old movie set. The real remains are a little further up the road and across the wash.
    : : : Lastly, in the St. George area are a number of places. Silver Reef, Pine Valley, and Old Irontown closer to Cedar City are all worth a visit. E-mail me if you need more directions or would like me to foward a pic or two I have of these places. They're up and coming at my "under-construction" homepage http://members.com/~ridingduo/utah.html . Later -Bill
    : : thanks for the info. [i sent you an e-mail earlier] i looked at your web site, and wouldn't you know it, but the ghost town i was looking for is pahreah. i have a AAA tour book with a beautiful picture of pahreah on the cover. but they didn't identify what or where the picture was. it looks exactly like what you would picture a ghost town to be. [i must admit i'm a little disappointed to find out much of it is a movie set - no wonder it looked so ****** quintessential]. i'd still like to take a look at it though, those striped rock formations around the town look amazing. do you know the condition of the road that leads up to it off of highway 89? I ask because my wife and i will be renting a little ol' toyota, and i'm wondering if we'd need a four wheeler to get over the road... thanks again, this is great. Jimmie

Originally posted by Azucena

Thread Information