Thread: Florence, Missouri

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Florence, Missouri

Originally posted by Christine Williams

: Around the time of the civil war, the town of Florence , MO was destroyed(fire?) by a raider and what was left of the townspeople picked and moved town miles away to their new town of New Florence. Back in the 70's in an old treasure seeker magazine, they made reference to this. I am looking for information on the old town of Florence along with any stories...Please let me know if you know of any history or websites or books that can make reference to Florence, Mo

Default Florence, Missouri

Hello, my name is Jenelle Schroder and I live at Florence,MO. Born and raised. Florence,Mo will be celebrating their 180th anniversary on Aug. 4, 2012. We have had one every 5 years since 1982 when it turned 150 years. There is a celebration book of history and collected memories printed also. Not sure what all info you were wanting. Settled on June 3, 1832, the town was first known as Williamsburg/Williamstown after Ellison Williams. It was later changed to "****** Hill" (sorry no disrepect, just what it was named at the time) because tradition has it a free black slave came and opened a store. Florence was renamed it's current name in 1839 when the post office was secured. Taken from "Shelby and his Men, or The War in the West" by John Newman Edwards, published in 1867. Edwards, one of Col. Joseph Shelby's soldiers. As accounts reprinted in the 175th "Good Ole Days" celebration book.Col. Joseph Shelby, Major David Shanks commanded by Captain Sears. There was a terrible slaughter hereon the night of Wednesday, October 14, Florence was not burned down. Most of the action in the area during the War was on the part of bushhackers, who tended to kill anyone they decided the didn't like at the moment. Population in 1865, 75 people. Population in 1870, 12 people. So I guess a lot of families did pack up and leave old Florence. But after 1876 the population steadily grew to 98 people in 1920. According to one wesite the Florence surrounding community has around 565 people. We currently have the post office, a bar, and 4 area churches. If I can help with anything I would be happy to try to find and answer.

Default Florence

Hello Jenelle my name is shawn and im trying to find out any information about Florence . I have land on 135 where the silo is and im looking for places around Florence to metal detect for the history of the town and surrounding area. I have heard some story from Janet ??? im really lousy with last names but she grew up there and is now in a wheel chair. Anyway she was telling me about a church on buffalo road that is no longer there but the cemetery is...Would that be Ebenezer cemetery? she couldn't remember the name....thanks for any help..........Shawn

Thread Information