Thread: Bernadotte Illinois

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Bernadotte Illinois

Originally posted by Bobby Williams

: i am currently compiling a history of Bernadotte and the surrounding area of Fulton county.. if anyone has any info please contact me as my ancestors help found the town in the 1840's and info would be appreciated. there isn't much left of the place except ruins of Camp Ellis and an old mill...the town is part of the Spoon River Drive..thank you.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Bernadotte Illinois

Originally posted by Don Barnett

: : i am currently compiling a history of Bernadotte and the surrounding area of Fulton county.. if anyone has any info please contact me as my ancestors help found the town in the 1840's and info would be appreciated. there isn't much left of the place except ruins of Camp Ellis and an old mill...the town is part of the Spoon River Drive..thank you.

Default Re: Bernadotte Illinois

: : I have a lot of information about Bernadotte, Illinois. I've have been resesrching it for years. My data goes back to its earliest beginning to the destruction of the town for building Camp Ellis. I am willing to share this or answer your questions as best I can.

Default Re: Bernadotte Illinois camp ellis

Originally posted by dawn pool

: do you have any information on the impact on the loacal area from camp ellis

My ancestor, Stephen Bless (Bliss) was one of the early settlers of Bernadotte. I would be interested in learing any new information about his family. There is so little available.
    R. DeJaynes
    donne51@yahoo.com

The town was founded in 1826 by a William Walters, he bought the land from the Indians for 50 deer skins, this information is in a book called "The Story of Camp Ellis". William Walters was a relative of my family.

I came across Bernadotte while reading Edgar Lee Masters' The Sangamon. Masters says the area around B. "was always noted for its lawless roughs, who got into the courts for assaults and murders." Could someone please tell me what crimes he is thinking of, or refer me to a printed source? I'm interested in rural violence in the 19th century. My Illinois research has so far been restricted to Hancock and Mason Counties. This is my first venture into Fulton Co. I have read Beverly A. Smith's MURDER IN A RURAL SETTING: LOGAN COUNTY HOMICIDES 1865-1900 but she stays in Logan Co. Many thanks.

Default Bernadotte

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post

: : I have a lot of information about Bernadotte, Illinois. I've have been resesrching it for years. My data goes back to its earliest beginning to the destruction of the town for building Camp Ellis. I am willing to share this or answer your questions as best I can.
    Hi there; I'm traveling down to the Benadotte area this week to photograph Camp Ellis and the surrounding area for my history blog, Off the Beaten Path in Illinois. I'd love to get some background information on the area, what it was like before, during, and after the War.

Thread Information