Thread: South Jersey Ghost Towns

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default South Jersey Ghost Towns

Originally posted by Julie

: Does anyone have directions to the ghost town in Batsto Village? Not the one that was rebuilt into a tourist site, but the original ruins of the village or any other ghost towns in south jersey?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: South Jersey Ghost Towns

Originally posted by xplorrr

: There is a paper mill on private property near the restoration...other than that, I know of no other extant ghosts in the area. There are 2 books, "Forgotten Towns of Southern NJ" and "More Forgotten..." by Henry C. Beck (Rutgers University Press), as well as "Iron In the Pines" (same, I think) that detail what you are after. Also worth noting is John McPhee's book "The Pine Barrens" (I think that is the correct title). I snuck onto the mill site some years ago...as I recall, it is just outside of Batsto Village. Good luck!

Default Re: South Jersey Ghost Towns

Originally posted by Shaqueefah

: : Does anyone have directions to the ghost town in Batsto Village? Not the one that was rebuilt into a tourist site, but the original ruins of the village or any other ghost towns in south jersey?

: Julie,

: Don't you South Jerzey peeps gots nothin better ta do? Grab a fotey an git yo drink on

Cool Crowley Town

on the bend of the river,just below basto is a picturesque pinic area mainted by the wharton tract park services. If you look closley you will see a sign reading Crowely's Point. This is the site of of the once thriving village know as Crowleytown, where the famous Mason Jar was blown in the glassworks. Saumel Crowely operated 2 glassworks there, the first open in 1851. By 1866 ownership passed hands and also in 1869. Crowley remained the director ,but the orperations failed some say proper fiance opthers say lack of attention and crowleytown became a ghosttown.

Cool Herman City

In 1870 not far from crowleytown Joseph Whipler from New York Built a village of seventy houses, a store, a hotel, cluster by a glass making plant on the Mullica river. The glasswork at Herman City produced Luxury items, such as chirstmas ornaments and shades to enclose such thing as stuffed animals, birds, waxed flowers and other palour ornaments.
    There were 2 ships the argo and the frances tied up awaiting cargos of south jersey glass to ship to new york. Herman city came to a standtill in the panic of 1873 and it was sole to Jseph Wharton for $1500.
    Hiden behind a beaten path all that remains today is a stone walled hole in ground and remains of a dock across the street., when tide is low you see the hulks of the ships.

Cool Bulltown

Even though I never found it, historians claim there was a 2nd glass works built by Samuel Crowley after he sold the first one. Its 2 miles inland in dense woods. It was the smallest factory to be built in new and had 5 furnaces. It was operated from 1858-1870 and made made blown bottled glass. I own 2 examples of these bottles, thats why I tried crashing thorugh the brush for a 1/2 mile before I gave up. 8 years ago the land was still undevopled.

Thread Information