Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gilmore Idaho

Default Mark on Gilmore, Idaho

Hi Dixie
    My Grandfather Joe Williams, Grandmother Dora Williams, and my Mom Alice Williams lived in Gilmore for quite some time back in the early 1900's. Mom was born in Lewisville in 1906, and they lived there for a while, as well as in Leadore, Idaho. Grandpa caught wild horses, tamed them, and then sold them to the local gentry. My sister Marlene was up there about 10 or 15 years ago, trying to find info on Gilmore, and took some pictures; talked to a local fellow that was roaming around the mining area and said he used to mine there... so he must be pretty old... didn't get his name. Nice to know people are interested in Gilmore.
    When did your Mom and Aunt and Uncle live in Gilmore? Thanks for posting the newspaper article - interesting.
    During the Great Depression, my Grandpa lost his income from horse ranching, and became a coal miner and eventually died of Black Lung Disease. Not sure which town those mines were in.

Mark

My mother and her sister and brother were raised for a bit in Gilmore. Infact my Uncle Bud wrote a story for a magazine about Gilmore. I was thrilled to find a discussion on this town here. I am now a member of this board. My mothers name was Mildred King. Her brother and sister are Bud, (Sam) and Catherine (Mary) King. If anyone would like to see the story let me know. I can mail it to you in snail mail.

Dixie[/quote]

Default gilmore cemitary

hi did you ever find the cemitary in gilmore i do know where it is and it is hard to find i lived in leadore for along time if you still need help finding it let me know tj

Default Gilmore

About 6 years ago I purchased 14 lots in what they called lower Gilmore. That is the area with the store. The property has 2 houses on it and I am in the process of renivating the big house. It was called the "Tunnel House". The reason for that was there was an enclosed walkway from the back of the house to the outhouse.

I have quite a few pics of Gilmore if anyone would care for a copy. They are all from the last 6 years though.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by flynch42 View Post
    your best bet for getting information is talking to doyl hammon i believe he still lives in roberts idaho he and his family bought the spencer place....(i think that was the homestead name) **** moll used to live untill a few years ago when he was found frozen over the winter ( so to those that say no-one lived there since the forties...well that is just not so,....he wrote a book on the place (i have a copy) but i don't know if it wsa ever published...the semetary is just down from the P.I. mine on the main road to the lake.
    **** Moll didn't die from being frozen. He died from strep among other medical problems. He is buried in the cemetary in Gilmore. The book that he wrote is on file at the Idaho Falls, ID Public Library. You can copy pages out of it but can't check it out.

Hi. I have been searching for any info I can find regarding my grandfather & grandmother who both met and lived at the Gilmore Camp in the Salmon National Forest in 1910. My grandmother was Ida Cecelia Elg and was from Sweden. She was a school teacher at the camp. My grandfather was Samuel Bell and was from Ireland. He was a miner. They had 6 sons who lived. My father was Jack Camden Bell and was born in Gilmore in 1923. None of them are alive any longer, and I am just trying to find any info about them and the history of Gilmore. The info I have been able to locate is from the 1910 census.

Samuel William BellB: 1911Louis Whiteman BellB: 1912Frank Oliver BellB: 1914Agnes Sophia BellB: 1915Robert BellB: 1920Jack Camden BellB: 1923

Default Gilmore Documentary

I am working on a documentary for Gilmore that will be presented before PBS and other broadcast companies. If you have any information, or would like to be interviewed on TV, please email me and let me know. tyhardy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by craigharris20 View Post
    My dad was born in Gilmore on Dec. 1, 1917. His father's name was Alfred Harris who ran a mercantile and the post office. My father's, grandfather,John Wheeler Harris, worked on the Gilmore-Pittsburg Railraod. My father's mother's family were the Neville's who also lived in Gilmore. Our family album has many pictures of Gilmore taken around the time of my dad's birtth. My dad's uncle, Wayne Neville, told me a story of how he and his horse "Billy Sunday" crashed through the front window of the hotel. He said he named the horse after the preacher because he was a "knot head of a horse."

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Welcome to the forum tyhardy. I'm sure someone will chime in eventually on this.

Just an F.Y.I., if you don't see your posts on here right away it's because they are moderated and need to be approved first. This will happen the first half dozen or so times and then you're good to go.

Again welcome to the forum!!!

I love going to Gilmore ,that place fasinates me ..I have many pictures from there ! http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets
    tyhardy, when is the Gilmore documentary going to be aired ? I 'd love to see it !

Default Gilmore

I was browsing the net looking for land and found some by gilmore for sale. Price wasnt bad, but not a whole lot of information on the area or the properties.

William

Hi, I just came across your posting a few years ago about Gilmore Idaho. I wonder if you could tell me more about the book you mentioned, and also how I might get in touch with Doyl Hammon? My husband just passed and we spent many happy hours in Gilmore in the early 60's. Since it was his favorite place my children and I would like to visit Gilmore and celebrate my husband's life there. Thank you in advance, Shirley

Thread Information