Thread: Barker Ranch Now Closed to Vehicles

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Barker Ranch Now Closed to Vehicles

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: I've heard disturbing news yesterday and today. Barker Ranch, the capture site of Charles Manson, and an interesting stop for those back country travelers in the Goler Canyon area of Death Valley, has now been made off limits to vehicles. I haven't been there since March 17, but a buddy of mine was there over this Memorial Day weekend. He suprised the heck out of me by telling me that Barker Ranch Road is now blocked off by an 8x8 barricade with the words "WILDERNESS RESTORATION AREA." He did walk into Barker, but now you can't drive there. The new signs put up by the Boy Scouts indicating the road to Barker Ranch has been removed, only the sign indicating Goler Canyon Road is still in place. He also indicated there were many other new barricades on side trails and roads. There have been a number of road closures in Death Valley National Park, and now this one has hit close to home for many of us back road enthusiasts.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Barker Ranch Now Closed to Vehicles

Originally posted by Bryan

: : I've heard disturbing news yesterday and today. Barker Ranch, the capture site of Charles Manson, and an interesting stop for those back country travelers in the Goler Canyon area of Death Valley, has now been made off limits to vehicles. I haven't been there since March 17, but a buddy of mine was there over this Memorial Day weekend. He suprised the heck out of me by telling me that Barker Ranch Road is now blocked off by an 8x8 barricade with the words "WILDERNESS RESTORATION AREA." He did walk into Barker, but now you can't drive there. The new signs put up by the Boy Scouts indicating the road to Barker Ranch has been removed, only the sign indicating Goler Canyon Road is still in place. He also indicated there were many other new barricades on side trails and roads. There have been a number of road closures in Death Valley National Park, and now this one has hit close to home for many of us back road enthusiasts.

: We need to rebuild that Barker Ranch Road. We definately need to sell off this park and sell it to private land owners. And rebuild the road. We need to restore this road back to 1971. If they want to remove roads, I say, 1971 is high tech and 2001 is low tech. Sorry guys.

Thread Information