Thread: Dolores Steele is Dead Wrong about Goldfield

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Dolores Steele is Dead Wrong about Goldfield

Originally posted by Steve Bruce

: "Teddy Roosevelt spoke to a large crowd in the street from the balcony in 1908." This is popular and oft-repeated mularkey - it never happened. The Nevada Historical Society and the Roosevelt biographical people have thoroughly reserached this and Roosevelt never visited Goldfield in 1908 or any other year.

: In addition Goldfield is not dead and padlocked -- it is the County Seat of Esmeralda County and the town is very much alive. Please see my web page concerning the festivities in August.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Dolores Steele is Dead Wrong about Goldfield

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : "Teddy Roosevelt spoke to a large crowd in the street from the balcony in 1908." This is popular and oft-repeated mularkey - it never happened. The Nevada Historical Society and the Roosevelt biographical people have thoroughly reserached this and Roosevelt never visited Goldfield in 1908 or any other year.

: : In addition Goldfield is not dead and padlocked -- it is the County Seat of Esmeralda County and the town is very much alive. Please see my web page concerning the festivities in August.

:

: OK... very good. As I've mentioned here before, sharing, and correcting/updating info is mainly what this bbs is for, and you are to be commended for the update. However, Ms Steele may have gotten her info from a local brochure, or some other mis-information, who knows? I can tell you this much.....her photographic contributions to this site more than make up for any errors she may have made.

: bb.

Default Re: Dolores Steele is Dead Wrong about Goldfield

Originally posted by Steve Bruce

: Misinformation is misinformation regardless of the source and their intentions -- however I do agree for example that the former president certainly made up for his personal failings by his contribution in not bothering to interfere too much in government so your point is well taken -- I just wish that Teddy had learned as much. I reiterate that there are far too many psuedo-historians repeating falacious info these days for comfort - I have heard the Roosevelt thing dozens of times and it should be put to rest. Thx

: steve

: :

: : : "Teddy Roosevelt spoke to a large crowd in the street from the balcony in 1908." This is popular and oft-repeated mularkey - it never happened. The Nevada Historical Society and the Roosevelt biographical people have thoroughly reserached this and Roosevelt never visited Goldfield in 1908 or any other year.

: : : In addition Goldfield is not dead and padlocked -- it is the County Seat of Esmeralda County and the town is very much alive. Please see my web page concerning the festivities in August.

: : OK... very good. As I've mentioned here before, sharing, and correcting/updating info is mainly what this bbs is for, and you are to be commended for the update. However, Ms Steele may have gotten her info from a local brochure, or some other mis-information, who knows? I can tell you this much.....her photographic contributions to this site more than make up for any errors she may have made.

: : bb.

Default Re: Dolores Steele is Dead Wrong about Steve Bruce

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Misinformation is misinformation regardless of the source and their intentions -- however I do agree for example that the former president certainly made up for his personal failings by his contribution in not bothering to interfere too much in government so your point is well taken -- I just wish that Teddy had learned as much. I reiterate that there are far too many psuedo-historians repeating falacious info these days for comfort - I have heard the Roosevelt thing dozens of times and it should be put to rest. Thx

: : steve

: Well, Steve, I'll try once again. See if you can follow along this time, because one of us is not getting thru. Seems to me as though you're capsulizing "mis-information", and "psuedo/historians" in a grand effort to eliminate the false info on Teddy/Goldfield. As long as I've been here (shortly after launch) I've never seen anyone claim to be perfect. And since this is a bbs, does it make sense that it should be used to not only share info, but to update or correct mis-information? Are you with me so far? Now, Ms Steele visits Goldfield, takes some photos, and spots a brochure or something that spews out info that you have determined to be "falacious" (good word), which she also posts along with her photos. So, you storm into GT.com and yell out that DELORES STEELE IS DEAD WRONG....My point is that it's probably not Ms Steele that's dead wrong, but it's the source of her info that's dead wrong. I'm citing your previous statement that this story has been circulating for quite some time, and offer that it's safe to presume that Ms Steele is not the source of this mis-information. Further, and this is only my opinion, the vast number of photos she has submitted to this site far out-weighs any bits of mis-information she has posted with along with her pics. It's all about the wording, senor. I would have just posted a message updating/correcting the mis-information with references to Goldfield, and the data submitted by Delores Steele. I have no idea who Ms Steele is, but still find it somewhat tacky to degrade her (in CAPITOL LETTERS, no less) especially when her only sin was trying to make this web site better. No offense....[:--)

: bb.

: : :

: : : : "Teddy Roosevelt spoke to a large crowd in the street from the balcony in 1908." This is popular and oft-repeated mularkey - it never happened. The Nevada Historical Society and the Roosevelt biographical people have thoroughly reserached this and Roosevelt never visited Goldfield in 1908 or any other year.

: : : : In addition Goldfield is not dead and padlocked -- it is the County Seat of Esmeralda County and the town is very much alive. Please see my web page concerning the festivities in August.

: : :

: : : OK... very good. As I've mentioned here before, sharing, and correcting/updating info is mainly what this bbs is for, and you are to be commended for the update. However, Ms Steele may have gotten her info from a local brochure, or some other mis-information, who knows? I can tell you this much.....her photographic contributions to this site more than make up for any errors she may have made.

: : : bb.

:

Default Re: Dolores Steele is Dead Wrong about Steve Bruce

Originally posted by Dolores Steele

: : : Misinformation is misinformation regardless of the source and their intentions -- however I do agree for example that the former president certainly made up for his personal failings by his contribution in not bothering to interfere too much in government so your point is well taken -- I just wish that Teddy had learned as much. I reiterate that there are far too many psuedo-historians repeating falacious info these days for comfort - I have heard the Roosevelt thing dozens of times and it should be put to rest. Thx

: : : steve

: : Well, Steve, I'll try once again. See if you can follow along this time, because one of us is not getting thru. Seems to me as though you're capsulizing "mis-information", and "psuedo/historians" in a grand effort to eliminate the false info on Teddy/Goldfield. As long as I've been here (shortly after launch) I've never seen anyone claim to be perfect. And since this is a bbs, does it make sense that it should be used to not only share info, but to update or correct mis-information? Are you with me so far? Now, Ms Steele visits Goldfield, takes some photos, and spots a brochure or something that spews out info that you have determined to be "falacious" (good word), which she also posts along with her photos. So, you storm into GT.com and yell out that DELORES STEELE IS DEAD WRONG....My point is that it's probably not Ms Steele that's dead wrong, but it's the source of her info that's dead wrong. I'm citing your previous statement that this story has been circulating for quite some time, and offer that it's safe to presume that Ms Steele is not the source of this mis-information. Further, and this is only my opinion, the vast number of photos she has submitted to this site far out-weighs any bits of mis-information she has posted with along with her pics. It's all about the wording, senor. I would have just posted a message updating/correcting the mis-information with references to Goldfield, and the data submitted by Delores Steele. I have no idea who Ms Steele is, but still find it somewhat tacky to degrade her (in CAPITOL LETTERS, no less) especially when her only sin was trying to make this web site better. No offense....[:--)

: : bb.

: : : :

: : : : : "Teddy Roosevelt spoke to a large crowd in the street from the balcony in 1908." This is popular and oft-repeated mularkey - it never happened. The Nevada Historical Society and the Roosevelt biographical people have thoroughly reserached this and Roosevelt never visited Goldfield in 1908 or any other year.

: : : : : In addition Goldfield is not dead and padlocked -- it is the County Seat of Esmeralda County and the town is very much alive. Please see my web page concerning the festivities in August.

: : : :

: : : : OK... very good. As I've mentioned here before, sharing, and correcting/updating info is mainly what this bbs is for, and you are to be commended for the update. However, Ms Steele may have gotten her info from a local brochure, or some other mis-information, who knows? I can tell you this much.....her photographic contributions to this site more than make up for any errors she may have made.

: : : : bb.

: Thanks Bob,

: I'm sorry if I put anything down that wasn't the truth but I cut this out of information I picked up somewhere in Nevada and it was information on all the - Nevada - Ghost Towns. I figured since it was from Nevada, they must have known what they were talking about.

: I do stand corrected by Steve Bruce and will never repeat that information again!!! Now, I will be removing the information from my picture album.

: Thanks again,

: Dolores

Default Dolores Steele is Dead Wrong about Goldfield

Sometimes people can get information from sources that are incorrect,not her fault.
    While Teddy Roosevelt may or may not have gone to Goldfield,I do know he was in San Antonio,Texas. Some of the horses he got for his Rough Riders came from the Capote Ranch near Seguin,tx. according to the State of Texas historical marker in front of the ranch.His wife was related to the Denman family who own the place.
    He also was at the Menger Hotel in San Antonio which is haunted.

Thread Information